Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
End stop control valve video. Can't find much on these dampers yet. Looks like a bottom out hydraulic cone and spring?

Anyone else have any thoughts. Someone said the ESCV was active but I'm not seeing it.

Update: ESCV explained with crappy "diagrams".

Shock absorbers function through the "resistance" of the fluid contained inside their body to flow through small restrictions in the piston. As you go over a bump, the rod of the shock absorber is pushed through the fluid inside. It is slowed down because the piston is a restriction to this movement of the shaft. This is the basic principle of a shock. If the shock is becoming shorter it is under "compression". If the shock is getting longer it is under "rebound". The piston of the shock has shims that flex and provide resistance to fluid flow through the pistons orifices.

The ESCV shocks on the bronco have three main features that separate them from a "traditional" run of the mill shock on everyday vehicles.....

1. External Reservoirs
2. Compression ESCV
3. Rebound ESCV

The external reservoir attached to the main shock body provides a few functions.
1. It contains the IFP or internal floating piston. This device separates nitrogen and shock fluid from mixing.
2. This nitrogen charge helps the shocks work better. It prevents cavitation, but we aren't going there right now.
3. The floating piston displaces when the rod takes up volume inside the shock body.
4. The reservoir allows extra fluid volume so the shock runs cooler.

Compression End Stop Control Valve:
This makes the shock have more resistance to movement under compression, toward the end of travel. The circular spring loaded device puts pressure on the compression shims as the shock gets closer to bottom. This adds resistance to movement. Think I hit a really big bump.... But it didn't smack hard on landing. It had extra resistance for big hits.

Rebound End Stop Control Valve:This makes the shock have more resistance to movement under rebound, toward the end of travel. The circular spring loaded device puts pressure on the rebound shims as the shock gets closer to bottom. This adds resistance to movement. Think I hit a really big jump.... But it didn't clang hard on takeoff when I left the ground....

BILSTEIN ESCV 2021 Ford Bronco suspension shocks dampers~4.png

BILSTEIN ESCV 2021 Ford Bronco suspension shocks dampers~3.png

BILSTEIN ESCV 2021 Ford Bronco suspension shocks dampers~2.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

End stop control valve video. Can't find much on these dampers yet. Looks like a bottom out hydraulic cone and spring?
Anyone else have any thoughts. Someone said the ESCV was active but I'm not seeing it.
Great find, you are correct, they are not active. Here is some more information I was able to dig up.
The all-new Bronco has available best-in-class maximum suspension travel.* To complement that suspension travel, available Trail Stability Control™, with its Bilstein™
position-sensitive-damping (PSD)
shocks, utilizes end stop control valve (ESCV) technology to provide control and stability during spirited off-road driving.
The High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension (HOSS) comes on the Wildtrak and Badlands, and these are also available on any other trim if you buy the Sasquatch package. The use of Bilstein shocks is a departure from the Fox shocks used on the Range Raptor, but I wouldn’t read too much into that.

Bronco’s Bilsteins have remote reservoirs that increase oil volume for cooler running, and they also have internal hydraulic end stops that give them position-sensitive damping. They’ll be soft in the middle of their travel and firm up to the ends to soak up big hits with less chance of bottoming or topping out. The end-stop concept is similar to what you’d find on an early TRD Pro Tundra, but that truck’s Bilsteins didn’t have the additional benefit of remote reservoirs.
July 15, 2020
Who is getting excited to get your hands on a new Ford Bronco? Reserve yours yet? BILSTEIN ESCV suspension will keep you riding right!
Ford Bronco BILSTEIN ESCV Bronco suspension / shocks explained - "End Stop Control Valve" Dampers (Bronco HOSS Suspension w/ Position Sensitive Dampers) _nc_ohc=7KNgl5An0AsAX_GJUOd&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2

Ford Bronco BILSTEIN ESCV Bronco suspension / shocks explained - "End Stop Control Valve" Dampers (Bronco HOSS Suspension w/ Position Sensitive Dampers) BILSTEIN ESCV 2021 Ford Bronco suspension shocks dampers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Amazing find North7!

You can actually see how it works in the picture you posted.

The large ring is a "blocker ring" and is sealing off compression ports on the piston, once the piston hits the spring loaded ring.

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Old style motorcycle forks use a cone at the bottom of the stroke to progressively stop the travel of the wheel...aka bottom out...the youtube feature is too short to see anything (imo) ...here is link to Racetech's suspension Bible that shows a cross sectional drawing and the cone at the bottom of the fork...the idea is that hydraulic pressure would progressively build up to stop the fork from a metal to metal stop...liquids have the unique property of not being compressable...the fork oil stops the fork from metal to metal contact...hth
https://racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work

Sponsored

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good info. I’m seriously thinking about buying these aftermarket and switching the tires to 33”s on ours instead of the Sasquatch pkg.

One thing though, Ford is using the HOSS (High-performance Off-road Stability Suspension) designation for all Bronco suspensions. The upgraded Badlands/Wildtrak/Sasquatch suspension is designated as HOSS with Bilstein position sensitive dampers.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good info. I’m seriously thinking about buying these aftermarket and switching the tires to 33”s on ours instead of the Sasquatch pkg.

One thing though, Ford is using the HOSS (High-performance Off-road Stability Suspension) designation for all Bronco suspensions. The upgraded Badlands/Wildtrak/Sasquatch suspension is designated as HOSS with Bilstein position sensitive dampers.
This shows a good view of it:

Ford Bronco BILSTEIN ESCV Bronco suspension / shocks explained - "End Stop Control Valve" Dampers (Bronco HOSS Suspension w/ Position Sensitive Dampers) 1600864284408

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like a very good way to change the valving inside the shock
My old race quad has three differant spring rates with travel collar's but didn't have the extend / unloaded control these have

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like a very good way to change the valving inside the shock
My old race quad has three differant spring rates with travel collar's but didn't have the extend / unloaded control these have
Its a reliable cost effective way to greatly improve chassis control. I have high hopes for this setup. The factory tuned Bilstein 7100s on my 2003 Level 2 Ranger are good dampers for the price. These are like 7100s on steroids, with reservoirs and bottom out.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Its a reliable cost effective way to greatly improve chassis control. I have high hopes for this setup. The factory tuned Bilstein 7100s on my 2003 Level 2 Ranger are good dampers for the price. These are like 7100s on steroids, with reservoirs and bottom out.
While I love the bottom out control for the 5% I will off-road, I'm really hoping the " soft in the middle" means the 95% of the time I use it for my Daily Driver it will have comfortable on road manners.

Okay, I admit it, I'm coming from an SUV, not a TRUCK, so I'm use to and still want a good daily driver. I know the forum is full of truck and jeep people that will say, WHAT, but this is why I did not buy a Jeep Wranger or a Ranger class pickup with I bought my SUV in 2017.

I think the Bronco will bring in many people, like me, as new owners who will also appreciate a comfortable daily driver.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neat, thanks for sharing.

Anyone know what the smaller chamber is for/does?

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While I love the bottom out control for the 5% I will off-road, I'm really hoping the " soft in the middle" means the 95% of the time I use it for my Daily Driver it will have comfortable on road manners.

Okay, I admit it, I'm coming from an SUV, not a TRUCK, so I'm use to and still want a good daily driver. I know the forum is full of truck and jeep people that will say, WHAT, but this is why I did not buy a Jeep Wranger or a Ranger class pickup with I bought my SUV in 2017.

I think the Bronco will bring in many people, like me, as new owners who will also appreciate a comfortable daily driver.
I feel you on this! When I traded my Jeep off it was mainly bc I thought I'd make it work as a daily but when I took off on road trip it was just awful to drive long distances to get to the off road parks. I didn't off road enough to justify keeping at a daily bc it made me wanna park it all the time never drive it. I came from a hummer h3 before the jeep that I loved and it checked all my boxes. After the jeep I lucked into a deal and now I got a Mercedes GLA. I love my car but miss my ground clearance and now the occasional off road fun and dirt road drives. I'm hoping the same for the Bronco. Basically like having my beloved H3 back. 90% daily 10% off road, ditch jumper, road tripper! Until my 5 year plan then it's going to be transformed into an overlander!!

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This shows a good view of it:

1600864284408.png
Somewhere in the Ford marketing it refers to "high clearance suspension". Is that what comes standard on the BL or something that is mixed in with the Sasquatch package?
Sponsored

Last edited: