30snack

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t you have to drill something to use the Gearshade with the hardtop?
Sponsored

Jay634

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those with the J Top, how quickly can it be taken off or put back on? It looks like the superior product in almost every way, but I really don't want to lost the ability to go fully topless on a whim.
Removal is under 5 minutes. Reinstall is maybe 5 minutes (10 tops - pun intended). You have to remove and reinstall the two brackets that the soft top locks into midway on the cage, but luckily the Ford provided tool kit has what you need and stays in the vehicle. Otherwise it'd take me 30 minutes just to find Torx bit :LOL:.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for dropping by! The only thing that kept me away from the JTop was that it covered the rear speakers and looked like it was a little more difficult to install, but from looking at your thread here it appears that was fixed in the final production units, is that right?

Only other concern with the JTop vs Gearshade is that Gearshade doesn't require you to disconnect anything to close the soft top. Is it correct that with the JTop you need to fold the front back a little bit to close the soft top?
The front flap is magnetic. There is nothing to disconnect. This is a feature we patented 4 years ago and use on all our Jeep JL products. Watch the installation video. Broncosunshades.com.

The reason Gearshade doesn’t require anything is because there is nothing there but a large gap. There is no protection from the wind or sun.

Mike
Ford Bronco Bimini Shade Gearshade VS JTop 75975D90-9AC5-4361-A113-B807A1324CD2

Jay634

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new version of the Jtop doesn't cover the rear speakers anymore. Not sure about your 2nd question though.
Thanks for dropping by! The only thing that kept me away from the JTop was that it covered the rear speakers and looked like it was a little more difficult to install, but from looking at your thread here it appears that was fixed in the final production units, is that right?

Only other concern with the JTop vs Gearshade is that Gearshade doesn't require you to disconnect anything to close the soft top. Is it correct that with the JTop you need to fold the front back a little bit to close the soft top?
I didn't like the look of the speaker flap either, but the redesign removed that and looks great. I've had it on for a little over a week now and loving it. Flipping the front flap back to fold and latch the soft top isn't that big of a deal. It's definitely not as quick and easy as having not sun shade up there, and requires me to walk to both sides as I'm closing the top so the latch clears the shade, but it's worth it for the nice tight fit and finish.

IMG_1654.JPEG

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The front flap is magnetic. There is nothing to disconnect. This is a feature we patented 4 years ago and use on all our Jeep JL products. Watch the installation video. Broncosunshades.com.

The reason Gearshade doesn’t require anything is because there is nothing there but a large gap. There is no protection from the wind or sun.

Mike
Ford Bronco Bimini Shade Gearshade VS JTop IMG_1654.JPEG
Ford Bronco Bimini Shade Gearshade VS JTop 909B8CA8-115A-43FD-9587-0AA5CE0A394E

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got the Bestop Bimini Mesh, and I'm mostly happy with it though I don't care much for the effort of having to reclip the front each time. I like the look of the JTOP better, but there is a good chance I'm going to drop my factory soft top for a bestop at some point, at least as long as MICs are unobtanium.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a Gearshade and I'm very happy with it. I don't feel the flap is too bad driving at highway speeds (75+) and I like that I was able to print my own graphic on it. I feel I'm able to tighten the rear straps pretty good to make it taut. It's pretty easy to take off and the only time I think about the front gap is when people mention it here. The JTops option looks like a pretty solid choice, too. I think you'll be happy with either one. Fwiw, the flap on my Gearshade resembles the JTops video above.
Any chance you could take a pic of the back where the 3 straps wrap around the roll cage? I am curious how tight you have yours. I couldn't get mine tight enough, they would come loose from highway speed occasionally. I do have metal ones from gearshade now that I still need to install, hoping that helps.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the Gearshade. I have not been able to get it tight enough to work well at highway speeds.
Anything above 55 and it flaps quite a bit. The back where it clips to rear roll bar makes a flapping noise. Gearshade sent me some new metal clips for the rear straps, have not tried those yet. The original came with plastic rear clips that bowed and wouldn't hold after I tried to furthen tighten it down. If I had not already purchased the Gearshade, I think I would opt for the Jtop based on how it fastens to the roll bar and the sides. The Gearshade is very quick to put on/take off, so there is a tradeoff tho.
I have a Gearshade and have experienced the same thing. Didn’t ask fir metal clips though… Glad to have a JTop ordered. Hope it gets here before a trip at the end of the month.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been using the Gearshade for a couple of months now. Replaced the rear nylon straps with 11" bungie balls. Doesn't stop the flapping (nothing will at 75mph) but I don't have to worry about the straps loosening like they were. The gap at the front is annoying whenever the sun pokes through but that's the only quibble I have.
Waiting on the hardtop variant of the JTop to ship. If it's as well engineered as the Wrangler version (which I once owned), I'll be very happy.
If I keep the gearshade, I will be buying some of those bungees. Thanks! I was really annoyed with the amount of force those hard clips were putting on that thing edge of painted surface.

Not to mention that the gearshade gap provides zero benefit for BestTop softop. The mesh still interferes with the levers and the front/center support Bungie has to be removed to put the top down.

To the OP: I'm seriously liking the redesigned Jtop. If it had been available when I was shopping, it would have been my choice.

Chelada

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any chance you could take a pic of the back where the 3 straps wrap around the roll cage? I am curious how tight you have yours. I couldn't get mine tight enough, they would come loose from highway speed occasionally. I do have metal ones from gearshade now that I still need to install, hoping that helps.
Sure thing. I'll take a picture next time I pull her top down.

Sponsored

Chelada

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I keep the gearshade, I will be buying some of those bungees. Thanks! I was really annoyed with the amount of force those hard clips were putting on that thing edge of painted surface.
Agreed. That was quite some amount of force it took to screw those suckers in place. As for the clips, I placed a piece of felt under the J-hook to protect the paint.

Not to mention that the gearshade gap provides zero benefit for BestTop softop. The mesh still interferes with the levers and the front/center support Bungie has to be removed to put the top down.
Hmm, I don't have any interference with the soft top latches. And are you talking about the two bungie/clips above the rear view mirror? I've never had to remove those when opening or closing my soft top.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, I don't have any interference with the soft top latches. And are you talking about the two bungie/clips above the rear view mirror? I've never had to remove those when opening or closing my soft top.
Your avatar shows an OEM Ford Softop? If that's what you still have, I can't speak for that fitment.

But yeah, the middle bungee clips don't fit with my Bestop. And the Bestop latches either make you stretch the gearshade mesh slightly above or below them.

DropHunter

Black Diamond
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mike
Ford Bronco Bimini Shade Gearshade VS JTop 909B8CA8-115A-43FD-9587-0AA5CE0A394E
Man that is a beautiful bronco lol

love the top

when I installed it I actually put the top on with it just being held in place with the magnets. Then I removed one section of Velcro at a time and secured it. The video said give it 24 hours so I closed the top without removing the jtop or pressing the Velcro together. The next night I pulled everything tight and it has been amazing since.

Chelada

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your avatar shows an OEM Ford Softop? If that's what you still have, I can't speak for that fitment.

But yeah, the middle bungee clips don't fit with my Bestop. And the Bestop latches either make you stretch the gearshade mesh slightly above or below them.
Gotcha... I hadn't caught that you have the Bestop. Yeah, I can see how that would be a pain.
Sponsored