Sponsored

BL Sas, 2.7L,.... is this Bronco my last gas powered vehicle?

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the gas Bronco is coming out at the perfect time. Even if we start moving in the direction of majority EV...this will be a slow process. At worst we're at the very beginning of that phasing and I anticipate I'll get the most out of the Bronco and my next car will be an EV

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow, let's start the yelling now. Honestly I don't see how electric cars don't replace gas for daily drivers in 20 years give or take. They are just too efficient.

That said, my buddy's full time (well paying) job is as a blacksmith. Internal Combustion Engines won't disappear entirely, but they will be shifted to the fringe. And gas won't disappear either. We need petroleum for plastics and there will be plenty of gasoline byproducts.

I'm with you though, this will be my last ice which is why manual all the way baby! I made a mistake and didn't buy boxes of twinkies when they went out of business. Thank God they came back but I don't see that future for rowing gears.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ICEs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Most people have no idea how much mining and infrastructure development is needed to supply the materials necessary to both build the EVs/batteries and the electrical grid needed to feed the charging stations. Once the unwashed figure out that, in order to power this unicorn-fart-world of ”green power”, you have to basically clear cut an unfeasible amount of land in order to sheet it with solar panels, wind farms, battery storage facilities, and electrical powerline right of ways. And then we get into the mining, which to meet global aspirations of zero fossil fuels means you essentially have to turn over the land surface of the earth. It’s technically impossible, in other words, and the GND goals even if achieved in the US and Europe will be dwarfed by the fossil-fuelled increased development ongoing in India, China, Africa, Asia - every 3rd-world area using cheap coal and gas to build up their lives to the levels we take for granted.

I won’t even bother talking about the short lifespan of highly-toxic batteries and the disposal problem to be expected in the near future.

Buy an EV if you like the idea, but also be aware that gasoline/diesel taxes have been paying for road infrastructure so far, but free electricity for EV owners won’t last forever. Someone needs to pay for the roads we drive on.

If anything, my next ICE will be an old restored car with no nannies or ECUs that can be disabled without my consent. Mad Maxmobile!

Last edited:

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
ICEs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Most people have no idea how much mining and infrastructure development is needed to supply the materials necessary to both build the EVs/batteries and the electrical grid needed to feed the charging stations. Once the unwashed figure out that, in order to power this unicorn-fart-world of ”green power”, you have to basically clear cut an unfeasible amount of land in order to sheet it with solar panels, wind farms, battery storage facilities, and electrical powerline right of ways. And then we get into the mining, which to meet global aspirations of zero fossil fuels means you essentially have to turn over the land surface of the earth. It’s technically impossible, in other words, and the GND goals even if achieved in the US and Europe will be dwarfed by the fossil-fuelled increased development ongoing in India, China, Africa, Asia - every 3rd-world area using cheap coal and gas to build up their lives to the levels we take for granted.

I won’t even bother talking about the short lifespan of highly-toxic batteries and the disposal problem to be exected in the near future.

Buy an EV if you like the idea, but also be aware that gasoline/diesel taxes have been paying for road infrastructure so far, but free electricity for EV owners won’t last forever. Someone needs to pay for the roads we drive on.

If anything, my next ICE will be an old restored car with no nannies or ECUs that can be disabled without my consent. Mad Maxmobile!
I have a felling this post isn't going to age well.

Tech moves fast. Really fast.

Full electric is going to get here before you know it.

You don't have to like it, but it is going to happen.

You're probably correct that the current economic structure isn't sustainable for EV long term but it'll change and markets will adapt

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a felling this post isn't going to age well.

Tech moves fast. Really fast.

Full electric is going to get here before you know it.

You don't have to like it, but it is going to happen.

You're probably correct that the current economic structure isn't sustainable for EV long term but it'll change and markets will adapt
I think it will age well. I’m an old engineer who’s done a very deep dive into the practicalities of electrification. It is a hugely expensive and environmentally-destructive task and I expect it to end poorly. My view is that, once the true costs of EV ownership and use become better understood the shine will come of this apple.

But as you say, time will tell.

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It will still be a good while before electric vehicles become the dominant vehicles on the road. It will happen and when it does, it will seem like it just popped up suddenly. Can’t deny the torque, efficiency, simplicity, etc... But the tech just isn’t quite there yet, nor is the price. We’ll see the mass migration once batteries can store the same or more energy as a tank of gas and do it for the same or less money. GM and the VW conglomerate are both pledging to be predominantly EV by 2030. A lot can change in 10 years.

The biggest hurdle facing widespread EV adoption is not the batteries or cars themselves, but electrical infrastructure. But most utility companies and local governments are working on this to keep pace with EV adoption. Charging stations are popping up all over urban and suburban areas. Increasingly more in rural places too. Many homes are a bit light on their power ability, but can get by. It’s not like most people can’t charge their car at night while not much else is running in the house.

Environmentally, EVs have a huge potential. Not there yet, though. The real advantage comes from the zero emissions, thus containing emission-producing power methods at power plants rather than spewing out of millions of tailpipes. Hence much easier to contain or mitigate. In terms of the car manufacturing themselves, EVs are pretty much identical to ICE cars when it comes to environmental impact. Batteries do contain toxic metals, but Panasonic, Tesla, CATL, LG, GM are all designing theirs to be recyclable. The battery disposal problem is a really poor talking point as Tesla and Panasonic are already recycling packs and reclaiming over 80% of the lithium from a used pack. They have been storing packs, much to the delight of EV naysayers trying to spin environmental issues against them. But much of the storage was initial until they refined their reclamation process. Lithium mining often comes up as a horrible environmental menace... It’s true that it’s not great, but it is far less impactful on our environment than the mining of gold, silver, copper, uranium... Many lithium operations in the world don’t even do much for physical digging or mining, but rather leech it from the ground through saltwater saturation. Lithium would and will still be mined or extracted, regardless of EV production. There are lots of upcoming battery technologies that use other metals and materials besides lithium. Some of the most promising new battery chemistry uses cobalt and various sodium compounds.

Of course, there will always be room for combustion engines and uses that still justify their existence. I think the first combustion engines that will be gone for good are small engines — yard equipment, lawnmowers, trimmers, chainsaws, etc.. The ones that are the most noisy and polluting by size and electric motors are already outperforming them by a big margin in the same size and weight range. ...If you don’t mind swapping batteries 2 to 3 times as often as you put gas in their combustion counterpart.

Oil isn’t going away, we need it for too many other things... Funny, I know a couple big oil guys who love their Teslas. One of them is an area site manager who oversees a lot of wells in CO and WY and bought one of the original Tesla Roadsters, has a Model S and is waiting on his CyberTruck.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes this will be my last ICE vehicle. Gas powered won't go anywhere for the foreseeable future, but buying brand new? Yeah brand new ICE for the consumer is going to be gone soon.
ICE vehicles will become classic cars where it could be expensive to find gas for them, and likely (this is far out) electric conversion kits will become a thing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will still be a good while before electric vehicles become the dominant vehicles on the road. It will happen and when it does, it will seem like it just popped up suddenly. Can’t deny the torque, efficiency, simplicity, etc... But the tech just isn’t quite there yet, nor is the price. We’ll see the mass migration once batteries can store the same or more energy as a tank of gas and do it for the same or less money. GM and the VW conglomerate are both pledging to be predominantly EV by 2030. A lot can change in 10 years.

The biggest hurdle facing widespread EV adoption is not the batteries or cars themselves, but electrical infrastructure. But most utility companies and local governments are working on this to keep pace with EV adoption. Charging stations are popping up all over urban and suburban areas. Increasingly more in rural places too. Many homes are a bit light on their power ability, but can get by. It’s not like most people can’t charge their car at night while not much else is running in the house.

Environmentally, EVs have a huge potential. Not there yet, though. The real advantage comes from the zero emissions, thus containing emission-producing power methods at power plants rather than spewing out of millions of tailpipes. Hence much easier to contain or mitigate. In terms of the car manufacturing themselves, EVs are pretty much identical to ICE cars when it comes to environmental impact. Batteries do contain toxic metals, but Panasonic, Tesla, CATL, LG, GM are all designing theirs to be recyclable. The battery disposal problem is a really poor talking point as Tesla and Panasonic are already recycling packs and reclaiming over 80% of the lithium from a used pack. They have been storing packs, much to the delight of EV naysayers trying to spin environmental issues against them. But much of the storage was initial until they refined their reclamation process. Lithium mining often comes up as a horrible environmental menace... It’s true that it’s not great, but it is far less impactful on our environment than the mining of gold, silver, copper, uranium... Many lithium operations in the world don’t even do much for physical digging or mining, but rather leech it from the ground through saltwater saturation. Lithium would and will still be mined or extracted, regardless of EV production. There are lots of upcoming battery technologies that use other metals and materials besides lithium. Some of the most promising new battery chemistry uses cobalt and various sodium compounds.

Of course, there will always be room for combustion engines and uses that still justify their existence. I think the first combustion engines that will be gone for good are small engines — yard equipment, lawnmowers, trimmers, chainsaws, etc.. The ones that are the most noisy and polluting by size and electric motors are already outperforming them by a big margin in the same size and weight range. ...If you don’t mind swapping batteries 2 to 3 times as often as you put gas in their combustion counterpart.

Oil isn’t going away, we need it for too many other things... Funny, I know a couple big oil guys who love their Teslas. One of them is an area site manager who oversees a lot of wells in CO and WY and bought one of the original Tesla Roadsters, has a Model S and is waiting on his CyberTruck.

Good visionary views. It looks like the battery stock analyst report.

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it will age well. I’m an old engineer who’s done a very deep dive into the practicalities of electrification. It is a hugely expensive and environmentally-destructive task and I expect it to end poorly. My view is that, once the true costs of EV ownership and use become better understood the shine will come of this apple.

But as you say, time will tell.
How long do we need to determine the true cost of EV ownership? I’ve been an EV owner for over 5 years. My Teslas, while nowhere near perfect, have been two of the best cars I’ve ever owned. Quirks aside, my Model X has been the lowest-maintenance, lowest total cost vehicle I’ve ever purchased as new. I’m an engineer too... I’ve done my own analysis and deep dives into several aspects fo this and disagree with you. Seems the engineers at GM, Nissan, Toyota, Tesla and more all disagree with you.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
California has already said they will ban the sale of new ICE vehicles by 2035.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As an engineer that works for California, this is a very true statement. We are installing charging stations in rest areas and vista points on the backs of ICE and letting people charge up for free......for now. The taxes and fees that are headed to EVs has been talked about for a while now and will either be based on a per mile driven or on your EV registration fees. It already costs me about $600 a year in registration for my Expedition. I hate to see the fees they are going to tack on to EVs. It's not by the month either its a fee paid once a year. Also something to think about, if California goes by a per mile driven model, how do you think they will get your mileage? A lot of more freedom is about to be given up in the name of GREEN.
Sponsored