Sponsored

BL Sas, 2.7L,.... is this Bronco my last gas powered vehicle?

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm also wondering how all these people with ICE vehicles fuel up without gas stations in their building 🤣🤣
Yea but you can't have people sitting at a charging station for hours lol. I believe they have superchargers that take 15min, but you already have people waiting to get gas at busy times. Imagine people waiting even longer. They would have to have a ton of superchargers spread out all over the place. I can see gas stations going away though because now you can just place chargers where people shop and they can charge their car as they shop
Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You see an obstacle and challenge that makes you afraid. I see a huge opportunity to make $$$.
Where did you see fear in my comment :unsure:. Stating a fact that it will take time with ev. It is still new and there is a lot of different technologies that have to come together to work. Even battery technology isn't there yet. I hope it takes off because you are correct about the money part and I have investments in certain parts of the industry I hope will eventually pay off.

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We currently have two ICE. After the Bronco we will probably have one ICE and a Hybrid or EV.

Technology progresses. Society changes, built society changes.

The transition to EV makes more sense now than ICE over horses horses. We have most of the infrastructure (laws, habits, roads, manufacturing, industry, etc) already. Hell, the transition to electricity was more fraught than EV from ICE.

CA requires Solar on most new builds as of 2020. Add storage and charge the car later. A residential charging station can be installed under 1k. Easy to add them and control access, charge, loads via apps (see wallbox, blink). If you live in car-centric areas, many apartments have carports. Add a charge station per carport, capitalize the investment over 2 years, add a $.03/W and you have another revenue stream for landlords. Same or similar can be done at many business and office parks. Eventually we will have induction charging making this even easier.

EU, China, and India are pushing for EV. Change and technological progress will come faster and slower than we expect.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you think a hydrogen cell vehicle works? Serious question.
Hydrogen and oxygen runs through the stack and make a chemical reaction creating electricity to run the car. Is that wrong?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So what's the plan even for homeowners that have cars all over the place (when all 6 go EV). My next door neighbor, on any given day/night. Even if they do 6 outlets placed all over, with retractable cords, the "kids" will just leave them on the ground to be run over.

I plow the driveway of every one of my neighbors on my street (for free). That is going to be shocking fun when I don't know where the cords are. We also all have 200 amp service, hope they don't all want to fast charge, on the same night.

20210320_073627.jpg

Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The same people that say that ICE vehicles are bad for the environment ignore the cost of building EVs. Look at the supply chain to just build the batteries. I don’t think they will catch on fully until electric storage and generation technology makes some advancements.

also, just looking at California, they have shifted money away from maintenance of the power grid to support hybrid energy projects, which don’t even come close to generating enough electricity to meet demands, now add in hundreds of thousands of EV trying to all charge at the same time.

Here is an article on just mining one of the raw materials needed for batteries, cobalt, not sure how they are going to increase the production of lithium batteries without finding more sources for the raw materials?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50812616

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the scam part is forcing an inferior product upon people.
What's inferior about electric cars? Also, who's forcing you?

Yea but you can't have people sitting at a charging station for hours lol. I believe they have superchargers that take 15min, but you already have people waiting to get gas at busy times. Imagine people waiting even longer. They would have to have a ton of superchargers spread out all over the place. I can see gas stations going away though because now you can just place chargers where people shop and they can charge their car as they shop
I can't speak for the rest of the country but I've already seen charging stations at malls parking lots, garages, and even the business park where I work has charging stations and EV adoption isn't even widespread.

The same people that say that ICE vehicles are bad for the environment ignore the cost of building EVs. Look at the supply chain to just build the batteries. I don’t think they will catch on fully until electric storage and generation technology makes some advancements.

also, just looking at California, they have shifted money away from maintenance of the power grid to support hybrid energy projects, which don’t even come close to generating enough electricity to meet demands, now add in hundreds of thousands of EV trying to all charge at the same time.

Here is an article on just mining one of the raw materials needed for batteries, cobalt, not sure how they are going to increase the production of lithium batteries without finding more sources for the raw materials?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50812616
Mining for lithium and cobalt is dirty but let's not pretend like oil drilling/transportation is clean. Here's a page with a list of oil spills https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills.

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what's the plan even for homeowners that have cars all over the place (when all 6 go EV). My next door neighbor, on any given day/night. Even if they do 6 outlets placed all over, with retractable cords, the "kids" will just leave them on the ground to be run over.

I plow the driveway of every one of my neighbors on my street (for free). That is going to be shocking fun when I don't know where the cords are. We also all have 200 amp service, hope they don't all want to fast charge, on the same night.

Ford Bronco BL Sas, 2.7L,....    is this Bronco my last gas powered vehicle? 20210320_073627
Wall box will regulate the charge within the limits of the main panel. Other systems will as well.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a felling this post isn't going to age well.

Tech moves fast. Really fast.

Full electric is going to get here before you know it.

You don't have to like it, but it is going to happen.

You're probably correct that the current economic structure isn't sustainable for EV long term but it'll change and markets will adapt
Tech moves fast but nationwide infrastructure does not. If we replaced our 9mmbd gasoline consumption (2019 levels) with electricity, we would need to boost power to the grid conservatively by about 33% (assuming 33.7 kWh per gallon of gasoline * 30% combustion efficiency). Here's the napkin math:

33.7 kWh/gallon of gas * 0.3 ice efficiency * 9,000,000 bbl/day *42 gal/bbl * 365 days/year = 1,394.9 billion kWh/year that needs to be added to the grid per year. Assume less electricity is needed for drilling, refining, transportation, gas pumps, etc and we'll call it an even 1,300 billion kWh per year EXTRA that needs to go to the grid, or 164% of the amount of renewable energy sources we use today. (We can't really add more hydro either, everything that can be damed has been). The US produced 4,009 billion kWh from ALL sources in 2020.

And this is just for gasoline, not diesel or jet fuel, let alone natural gas to heat homes. We have a long way to go before we become carbon neutral. So no, gasoline will more than be around for the lifespan of the Bronco we purchase within the next two years. If not, we are all screwed.

Source: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3#:

And I'm just talking about the electricity needed, let alone the fast charging infrastructure that'll need to be built everywhere.

Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ford Bronco BL Sas, 2.7L,....    is this Bronco my last gas powered vehicle? 20210320_073627
One solution is to not have so many cars. If the cars are required because of the number of people (hopefully kids?), then another reasonable answer is... people should have fewer kids. Reducing population growth would ALSO go a long way to preserving the planet. And if they can’t do that, they could make the kids carpool.

Diver72

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
An EV would work just fine as a GG or work and back. Not so good for road trip vacations.
Not sure why it would not work for roadtrip? I've got 184k miles on my EV for past 8 years and more than half are road trip miles.

Last edited:

Gaggs11

Badlands
First Name
Gagik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ GT3, 19’ Cayenne, 20’ Model S, 87’ Supra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure why everyone is hung up on charging infrastructure. I have owned an EV the last 2 years. Using it commute 120 miles daily, in addition to regular driving. Have been saving about $300 per month. Never needed a charging station, have only charged at home.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Umm, I was referring to almost slave conditions and exploitation of humans. Not a few oil spills that are eventually cleaned up. :unsure:
    That's an issue with cobalt and mining. Tesla announced a shift to cobalt free batteries last year. That will be less and less of issue going forward
Sponsored