First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently got a GoPro and took it with us on some trails in Colorado. I will be doing some threads here as I get the videos done so we can start building a library of trails that might be of interest. I'm a beginner at putting videos together but they should at least give you an idea of what each trail is like.

First up is Black Bear Pass!

Black Bear Pass is a bucket list trail located in Colorado between Ouray and Telluride. It is not a particularly challenging trail from the technical perspective. If the weather is good you could do this trail in a four wheel drive pickup truck. You do, however, need to drive extremely carefully in the “Steps” and switchback parts of the trail or you can absolutely kill yourself.

Black Bear Pass road starts out relatively tame. You are driving through beautiful country. There is nothing quite like the majestic sites out west. You will reach Black Bear Pass itself in about 3 miles. It is 12,840 ft high. This is a great opportunity for photos and to stretch your legs before continuing towards the switchbacks. You will pass through more beautiful country for another 5 miles or so until you get to The Steps. This is where it gets interesting. The Steps and switchbacks are the subject of this video.

The entrance to the switchbacks is a relatively narrow off-camber section of rocky road with limited visibility of what lies ahead known as The Steps. There is a drop-off to your left with a small river/stream. At the bottom of this section there is a tame switchback that takes you to a waterfall that makes another great photo op. We also walked across the trail and had lunch looking down on Telluride while listening to the rushing water of the nearby falls.

The water from the falls crosses the trail at this point and you will get your tires wet. There is a spot just ahead where most people seem to slip a few inches towards the edge. Scary, but not really dangerous.

From there you descend on the most narrow portion of the trail with a large drop off to the passenger’s side and a steep rocky wall on the driver’s side. At the end of this section you hit the first tight switchback. This is the tightest of them all and will require several back and forth maneuvers to get around.

From there on out you are descending back and forth with a lot of switchbacks. Eventually you end up in Telluride. This is a great spot to walk around, eat lunch if you haven’t already, grab a beer, shop, etc. Telluride is also where Imogene Pass begins. Imogene is the perfect compliment to Black Bear as it takes you back over Imogene Pass to the Ouray area close to where you began.

Black Bear Pass is a USDA Forest Service road. The Forest Service describes it:

“This OHV route offers a very technical trail that is not for inexperienced drivers or riders. While most of the road is moderate in difficulty. the mile-long stretch of steep switchbacks on the Telluride side above Bridal Veil Falls is rated as difficult. A high clearance, short wheel base, four wheel drive vehicle is strongly recommended for this section of the road. The road starts from State Highway 550 at Red Mountain Pass (signed as Forest Road #823) and climbs quickly to Black Bear Pass at 3.2 miles. There is ample room for parking at the Pass where there are views into Ingram Basin. The road then descends into Ingram Basin, past Ingram Lake and the Black Bear Mine. At approx. 5.6 miles the road begins descending the "Steps" which are comprised of a series of steep, technical rock steps. From this point down to the Bridal Veil Powerplant (approx 1 mile), the road is one-way only. Once down the "Steps", the road continues past Ingram Falls, making extremely tight, narrow switchbacks until it reaches the Bridal Veil Falls Powerplant. Driving, riding, or walking down this section of the road is not only a thrill; it also offers spectacular views of the Telluride Valley, Ingram Fall, and Bridal Veil Falls.”
Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hiked and climbed all over that area but never drove that pass. The final hairpin curve reconfirms my 2-door decision :)

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife drove it in her GC trailhawk last year and Ive been down it in my f150 super crew. You better believe the Bronco will be taking the trip down to Ouray shortly after pickup.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife drove it in her GC trailhawk last year and Ive been down it in my f150 super crew. You better believe the Bronco will be taking the trip down to Ouray shortly after pickup.
Here's one from about a month ago from some people that did it without checking the weather forecast first. :oops:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's one from about a month ago from some people that did it without checking the weather forecast first. :oops:

Yeah I saw that. That's one thing you learn living out here in CO, is if you're heading to the high country whether it be camping or hitting the trails, always keep your eye on the weather. Every year we have people get trapped by mud/rockslides and even avalanches. Regarding BB Pass, definitely gets more pucker seat when the rocks are wet/slick and better hope your brakes are in great shape.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And to the OP, nice video for someone just picking it up. But I will say, as a word of caution, the spot you're standing at around the 40 second mark is about the last place I would want to be. That landing to your right is about the only place a vehicle can go should something happen. Guy 2 weeks before our trip out there last fall, landed his 4runner upside down right there and the only thing that stopped him from going over the edge was his rtt. If you were standing there at the time, you would have been knocked off the edge or pinned.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here you go.

489E5CFD-A7CC-48FF-924F-430159C682A0.jpeg

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And to the OP, nice video for someone just picking it up. But I will say, as a word of caution, the spot you're standing at around the 40 second mark is about the last place I would want to be. That landing to your right is about the only place a vehicle can go should something happen. Guy 2 weeks before our trip out there last fall, landed his 4runner upside down right there and the only thing that stopped him from going over the edge was his rtt. If you were standing there at the time, you would have been knocked off the edge or pinned.
I had seen a picture of that accident but wasn't sure exactly where on the steps it happened. Scary stuff.