Sponsored

Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference?

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yes, these Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T seem to be making quite the splash...
They appear to check all the boxes for me--aggressive tread pattern for dirt, rock and mild mud; good side wall protection; reasonable winter manners too for the snowy, icy roads; and really good looking too. A 60K mileage warranty gives me confidence that they'll wear much longer than the BFGs KMs I've been running.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I saw the 4dr BD in person, and was really surprised how different (and better) the stock tires looked. I was expecting them to look too small, but they actually look great.
Now the OBX with the Dueler ATs looked terrible, even though they are actually pretty similar in size.
Aggressive tread does make all the difference.

I'm getting a 4dr BB, and plan to put some Grabber ATx tires in 275/70 R17s on them.
At least that's the plan today - it changes quite a bit!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I have a question for this thread.

My conundrum is that I want the high package, but I am also in love with the less aggressive look of the black steelies and the Grabbers. So I'm thinking about buying a Badlands and putting on the Black Diamond wheels and tires instead.

If wanted to be true to the Badlands and get 33" tires, could I put a 285/70/17 on the steelies? They are a half inch skinnier than the Badlands wheels. 7.5" vs. 8".
7.5" seems to be the common minimum width tire manufacturers recommend for 285/70/R17s. So the black steelies should work. I'll have set of 5 BD steelies available sometime in August (assuming my production date doesn't get pushed further right).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I saw the 4dr BD in person, and was really surprised how different (and better) the stock tires looked. I was expecting them to look too small, but they actually look great.
Now the OBX with the Dueler ATs looked terrible, even though they are actually pretty similar in size.
Aggressive tread does make all the difference.

I'm getting a 4dr BB, and plan to put some Grabber ATx tires in 275/70 R17s on them.
At least that's the plan today - it changes quite a bit!
If only, if only. if only they would have gone with a slightly more aggressive tire on the BB I would be happy as a clam. These Firestones are the same size as the stock Bridgestones but would sure be nice

Ford Bronco Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference? 1621362170795

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If only, if only. if only they would have gone with a slightly more aggressive tire on the BB I would be happy as a clam. These Firestones are the same size as the stock Bridgestones but would sure be nice

Ford Bronco Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference? 1621362170795
I think the visual helps bump people to the BD, probably why the BB has passenger tires. I suspect they will look better than the OBX though, so I'm going to wait until I take delivery to look everything over and measure clearance myself before buying anything.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the visual helps bump people to the BD, probably why the BB has passenger tires. I suspect they will look better than the OBX though, so I'm going to wait until I take delivery to look everything over and measure clearance myself before buying anything.
No advanced 4wd provided the bump for us. Real tires were a nice consolation prize.

I don't remember if you could get mid on BB either but push come to shove our issue with that could have been fixed with aftermarket remote start... which I would hate doing to a brand new car/harness.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base

1621362170795.png
Yeah I agree. I like those Firestone XT, but I'm not sure they're quite enough for the look I want. If they were stock, I'd be very content and leave them. I am driving myself crazy trying to decide between the limited number of available 255/75-17 stock size 32", or the slightly smaller, slightly wider 31.7" way more options 265/70-17. If I stay stock size, it'll be the Firestone's you pictured, BFG KO2's or maybe a mud tire like the General X3 or Yokohama Geolander MT which shouldn't be too noisy in the narrower 255 size. My hold up with a mud terrain is they generally suck on hard packed snow covered roads.

Misterbear

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond, Jeep Wrangler X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it's only the looks, you'll be surprised how nice the stock tires look on the Black Diamond. They translate very poorly in a picture and seem shockingly undersized. Seeing them in person made all the difference. When you get your chance, go to one of the local Bronco shows to see them in person.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I agree. I like those Firestone XT, but I'm not sure they're quite enough for the look I want. If they were stock, I'd be very content and leave them. I am driving myself crazy trying to decide between the limited number of available 255/75-17 stock size 32", or the slightly smaller, slightly wider 31.7" way more options 265/70-17. If I stay stock size, it'll be the Firestone's you pictured, BFG KO2's or maybe a mud tire like the General X3 or Yokohama Geolander MT which shouldn't be too noisy in the narrower 255 size. My hold up with a mud terrain is they generally suck on hard packed snow covered roads.
I probably will go with 255/80x17 in Falken AT3, Toyo AT3,. More aggressive and one inch taller, the BB needs a bit more ground clearance. But like you say the Firestone pictured would be fine if they put them on stock even in the 255/75

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's only the looks, you'll be surprised how nice the stock tires look on the Black Diamond. They translate very poorly in a picture and seem shockingly undersized. Seeing them in person made all the difference. When you get your chance, go to one of the local Bronco shows to see them in person.
In pics I think the 2-door BD looks really good, but they look small on the 4-door. I had that same tire on my Ranger and it looked great.

I probably will go with 255/80x17 in Falken AT3, Toyo AT3,. More aggressive and one inch taller, the BB needs a bit more ground clearance. But like you say the Firestone pictured would be fine if they put them on stock even in the 255/75
I'll be using my Bronco as a semi daily driver for at least the first 2-3 years, so I'm staying in the 32" range, but ultimately will do a small lift and 33's. I'll get to hopefully see lots of pics of people with BB who do swap tires. It will probably just confuse me more....lol

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed. IMO the black diamond on 32ā€™s looks similar in stance to my wrangler on 33ā€™s just because those general grabbers look damn good. They are an excellent looking tire.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's not only tire size - it's tread too. I just put 32" Ko2's on my F150, replacing the 32" AS tires. The more aggressive tread made a world of difference in appearance.

I plan on getting a BB and replacing the tires with a more aggressive tread tire, maybe going with 33's, but the same width as the stock tires/
You took the words right out of my mouth as that is exactly what I have planned.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ā€˜75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mentally I really want to run 33s on my base bronco. In my perfect vision it would look like this.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference? 6F05CC4D-90D0-4B71-92A4-7C1FCAA7B39F

But since it doesnā€™t have the badlands ā€œliftā€, it will look more like this.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference? EB46DAEF-B2E5-40F1-ABFA-88FCDD1D79F0

Those are 33s on a big bend. Close, but not enough open wheel travel space for my taste.

So Iā€™m thinking, till some company offers a mild 1ā€ level kit Iā€™ll run 265/75r16s and should look like this black diamond. Which also has pretty perfect proportions to my liking!

Ford Bronco Black Diamond 32's vs 33's. How much of a difference? B499B3D5-C149-478E-AFC5-924AF60F1B3B

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you havenā€™t seen it in person, I would wait and look at options. I have been up close with all of the models and the BD looks better in person than in pictures. That being said, even my wife wanted to go BL and 33ā€ tires. Which is what I ordered. She just thinks it looks more balanced. I did not go 35s, not for looks, just overall use case for me and long term cost (fuel and tires).
Sponsored