Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After 7 months, I finally finished my "Car Camping build". Not quite a full overlander, but good for a few days off-roading and sleeping in the back with an attached tent. Needed to make it both rugged and as comfortable as possible for the wife and I. With a 25 month wait for the Bronco, I over researched everything and took advantage of big sales like the Black Friday Specials.

Here is my list for what I thought would work best (so far so good):
  • Step- Go Rhino Dominator Extreme D6
  • Rekgen regular length Merica front mud flaps
  • Barnes rear shock skid plates
  • 10” Baja Designs S8 light bar and wiring harness
  • JTops Bimini top
  • Oracle Flush Mounted Tail lights
  • Stickerfab Reverse Harness
  • Cargo Carrier
  • Kuat Swing away extension
  • Pura Vida attic tray
  • Diabolical slide drawer
  • Napier SUV Tent
The D6’s and Rekgens work great for keeping rocks off the paint.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build rekgen-D6

S8 gives me plenty of light up front in a nice compact size.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build light

Jtop Bimini keeps the open roof comfortable and doesn’t flap at highway speeds.

I used the reverse harness to hook up the Oracle reverse light to an accessory switch for rear lighting (should be good for tent set up if needed).
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build IMG_1583

I already had a hitch mount cargo carrier from another vehicle but access to the cargo area was a PITA and I couldn’t use the entire carrier because of the tire. I got the swing away and it solved both problems.

The Pura Vida attic tray is perfect for keeping my recovery gear out of the way but still accessible.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build attic 3

The Diabolical slide drawer was the answer I was looking for to level out the sleeping area and to make logical use of that space. This was my most expensive add-on but it is built like a tank and I love it. I did have to make a 2' platform to level it completely. That is a full size 3" memory foam topper. Wife and I tested it out and it is comfeee... (We are not tall people)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build IMG_1564

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build IMG_1588

Finally, I bought a tent for the “living room” area. We can have a space to hang out in bad weather and still have access to the vehicle.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build tent 1

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Car Camping Build tent 2
Sponsored

Last edited:

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great. That attic shelf is awesome, but I'm one of the unlucky ones that don't have those holes in the bar to tie it to.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love it! Nice build. Inspired me to look into a rear tent attachment for my overland excursions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any thoughts on how that tent would work with the soft top? My concern for these is that the hatch on the hard tops is holding up the vestibule.
I'm not completely sure since I don't have one, but I think if the soft top was propped up, it should hold about the same. The glass on the hard top is not that strong of a lift.

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Pura Vida attic looks like it does not block the rear view through the mirror? Is that correct? Great use of space of recovery gear.

Funny, I saw the first couple pictures and commented, "Looks like Texas." It's funny how you can determine locations by style of houses and yards.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Pura Vida attic looks like it does not block the rear view through the mirror? Is that correct? Great use of space of recovery gear.

Funny, I saw the first couple pictures and commented, "Looks like Texas." It's funny how you can determine locations by style of houses and yards.
Does not block the rear view at all. I barely know its there when driving.

Sponsored

N8RsLBFE

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 First Edition Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sweet setup! That attic tray is really nice!

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like that Diabolical slide drawer. Seems like a more reasonable version of the goose gear system at a fraction of the cost ($1500 vs $4000+). Do you basically have to give up the under-floor storage where the jack is? Debating if I should just fork over the $1500 or just make my own platform to preserve that storage area.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like that Diabolical slide drawer. Seems like a more reasonable version of the goose gear system at a fraction of the cost ($1500 vs $4000+). Do you basically have to give up the under-floor storage where the jack is? Debating if I should just fork over the $1500 or just make my own platform to preserve that storage area.
You still have access to the under floor storage, but with the drawer at its lowest setting like I have it, it doesn’t open all the way. I am still able to access jack and I can fit skinny items like the TD tie rod repair kit and other seldomly used but good to have things under there.
Sponsored