Sponsored

Black Diamond drain plugs - how do they seal?

Goat4454

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do they seal ? Curious how they seal and manage winters?
Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure If you are asking if they seal ? I assume they are heavy duty enough being that they are at the base of the truck to avoid any issues (draft, ice build up, etc)

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Jeep just has rubber plugs that pop into the floors and it has never been an issue here in Michigan. I would be surprised if it were a problem in the Bronco.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Jeep just has rubber plugs that pop into the floors and it has never been an issue here in Michigan. I would be surprised if it were a problem in the Bronco.
Is it even ok to drain water through bottom of truck ? Thinking it’s a rust issue waiting to happen

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it even ok to drain water through bottom of truck ? Thinking it’s a rust issue waiting to happen
Well they are built for it so I assume so... but I do have surface rust on the underside of my Jeep. I doubt it is from the few times I have drained water from the interior and it is more likely from the road salt. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing rust solely from using the drain plugs so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well they are built for it so I assume so... but I do have surface rust on the underside of my Jeep. I doubt it is from the few times I have drained water from the interior and it is more likely from the road salt. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing rust solely from using the drain plugs so I wouldn't worry about it.
How do they seal?rubber on rubber ?

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They looked like they screwed in from photos but in my old TJ they were rubber plugs that opened up straight to the ground from the body. Nothing crazy to it and perfect for a body on frame vehicle.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hers a pic of the (rear) raw floor in the Bronco at the factory and shows the holes with plugs. This looks similar to Jeep plugs. Wish it was a better close up but gives you an idea.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond drain plugs - how do they seal? C07351A0-97E4-46DB-A131-540CD01D7794

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They looked like they screwed in from photos but in my old TJ they were rubber plugs that opened up straight to the ground from the body. Nothing crazy to it and perfect for a body on frame vehicle.
Air tight or a little draft ?

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Air tight or a little draft ?
I had carpet over them so never noticed anything. Some were grommet like where it took some pressure to get them in and sealed. Others just kind of plopped on top of the hole and semi-loosely fit.

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a photo from the Bronco marketing team...

Ford Bronco Black Diamond drain plugs - how do they seal? 2369A577-6FBA-42A5-B9E2-5D9D2D76F852

And here is some supplemental information from Ford Authority...

“We have drain provisions around [the under-seat A/C vents), and basically we mind where the ends of them are elevation-wise,” Eric Loeffler, Bronco chief engineer, told Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview. “Keep in mind, if you have the wash-out interior, you have four active plugs but you also have six passive plugs, no matter if you have the carpet or the wash-out interior.”

The active plugs in the new Ford Bronco are user-enabled, while the passive plugs are always open and ready to drain. So even if owners forget to remove the active plugs before hosing down the inside, water will still drain out of the passive plugs and prevent it from entering the floor-mounted Bronco A/C vents.

Source: https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/how-ford-will-prevent-water-from-entering-rear-bronco-a-c-vents/

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a photo from the Bronco marketing team...

Ford Bronco Black Diamond drain plugs - how do they seal? 2369A577-6FBA-42A5-B9E2-5D9D2D76F852

And here is some supplemental information from Ford Authority...

“We have drain provisions around [the under-seat A/C vents), and basically we mind where the ends of them are elevation-wise,” Eric Loeffler, Bronco chief engineer, told Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview. “Keep in mind, if you have the wash-out interior, you have four active plugs but you also have six passive plugs, no matter if you have the carpet or the wash-out interior.”

The active plugs in the new Ford Bronco are user-enabled, while the passive plugs are always open and ready to drain. So even if owners forget to remove the active plugs before hosing down the inside, water will still drain out of the passive plugs and prevent it from entering the floor-mounted Bronco A/C vents.

Source: https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/how-ford-will-prevent-water-from-entering-rear-bronco-a-c-vents/
That’s great. Any photos of the water actually draining out or how it is sealed ?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do we think the models with wash out and no carpet will be a lot louder than models with carpet? I went with BD and now am second guessing myself, i have to think the carpet offers a great deal of sound deadening if it has padding under it? any thoughts?
Sponsored