Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure how offer advice here, but as previously mentioned, all the Bronco trim series are very similar and capable. I don’t need to list the differences, but the BD comes standard with a rear locker, added GOAT modes along with a bash plate, rock rails, etc. exactly what’s advertised as you read through each trim series.

You can do plenty with just a rear locker, so in stock form, yes it’s very capable.
I am curious to see how the GOAT modes function on it with limited Hero buttons. It comes with 7 GOATS, but onlly rear locker. SO, if you don't have 4A, front locker or Sta-bar disconnect, several of the GOAT modes probably won't function as well as they would if you do. It would be interested to see videos of these modes on a regular BD to compare to the videos out already using GOAT modes with all the Hero modes available.
Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
...where is it? Ford marketed the standard Black Diamond as a capable off-road vehicle. But there are no photos or videos of the non-sasquatch Black Diamond doing ANYTHING off-road. Obviously it’s not going to be as capable as models with the Sasquatch package, but Ford says the BD is capable of “Next-level outdoor adventure off-roading.” They’ve put out plenty of videos of the Bronco Sport going off-road, so I wonder why they’re hiding the BD.

I understand that Ford wants to showcase the Sasquatch package, but they’ve showcased it plenty, and most people already have their orders converted anyway. It’s time for Ford to show us what a Black Diamond Bronco can do off-road without Sasquatch. If they can’t even do that, it makes me think the BD isn’t nearly as capable as they’ve claimed.

Sincerely,
Concerned Black Diamond Reservation Holder

90F116C4-1AC4-4E3A-B50E-C1AC67C0580E.jpeg

29E98CE7-0BAB-4FD1-9C74-D34A3570EC5C.jpeg
Black Diamond is for posers

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I almost went with the Black Diamond. But for the same money I went Base + Sasquatch instead. If your worried about Off-roading capability and on a similar budget Base + Sasquatch is the way to go. You get front and rear Lockers, Bilstein shocks, 35 inch tires, 4:70 gears, and stronger front axles. You get all the important stuff. You can then later add the extras like better bash plates, bumper, and rock rails if needed through the aftermarket which will be better anyway. JMO

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am curious to see how the GOAT modes function on it with limited Hero buttons. It comes with 7 GOATS, but onlly rear locker. SO, if you don't have 4A, front locker or Sta-bar disconnect, several of the GOAT modes probably won't function as well as they would if you do. It would be interested to see videos of these modes on a regular BD to compare to the videos out already using GOAT modes with all the Hero modes available.
This is a really great point! I completely agree. I’d like to see something about that as well.

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I almost went with the Black Diamond. But for the same money I went Base + Sasquatch instead. If your worried about Off-roading capability and on a similar budget Base + Sasquatch is the way to go. You get front and rear Lockers, Bilstein shocks, 35 inch tires, 4:70 gears, and stronger front axles. You get all the important stuff. You can then later add the extras like better bash plates, bumper, and rock rails if needed through the aftermarket which will be better anyway. JMO
I’m not interested in switching trims, because the washout interior, MGV Seats, steel rear bumper, and tow package are a MUST. I just wish Ford would demonstrate their claims. That’s all.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you need to do the crazy stuff they are doing in the promo videos and ride-alongs in Moab, then you probably should be getting the crazy upgraded stuff. Ford is counting on you seeing everyone having a good time and upgrading.

I have been on a lot of horrible, nasty dirt/rock roads when I camp and I've done them in a 2wd F100, F150, Dakota, my current vehicle a "lowrider boat" Toyota Avalon, and even a bunch of times in our old 280Z.

I couldn't go camp where I wanted a few times in the winter when roads were closed to non 4x4s. I have to drive 5mph in the Avalon on anything that hasn't been graded recently. And a couple of times in my Dakota, we had a few scary times that we really wished we had a rear locker.

So I already know what I want and need, and BD will be plenty.
See, that’s the thing... I’m not interested in doing any crazy stuff. I just want to see Ford demonstrate the claims they’ve made for the Black Diamond. I know the 4x4 and rear locker will help a lot off-road. But I’m curious to see how the standard H.O.S.S. suspension does.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Black Diamond is for posers
When I get my "poser" Black Diamond I'll make sure I post plenty of pictures of it "posing" out in the wilderness.😍😍

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

... People ask for signs and wonders...

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not interested in switching trims, because the washout interior, MGV Seats, steel rear bumper, and tow package are a MUST. I just wish Ford would demonstrate their claims. That’s all.
I'm with @BroncoMan13 I ordered Base 2.7L Sasquatch because I want power, off road ability and value. Don't care about seat material, hosing out my interior or rear bumper.

It's pretty obvious that the BD will be good off road. The 32" tires will take you far, but not as well as 33s or 35s. The rear locker will work great and get you through most things, but front lockers will take you further. A good driver will be able to do crazy extreme stuff in a BD. You will be more limited by skill and courage than vehicle ability.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re completely forgetting about the upgraded shocks and suspension.

It’s actually super easy to demonstrate the difference... you just have to take them BOTH off-road. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s just not going to happen. With how much people complain and dissect everything, especially this forum, why would Ford (or any manufacturer) put vehicles in a position where they are going to be less than the high end of what they offer and professional drivers at the wheel? You will have to wait for You Tube and owner reviews for that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm with @BroncoMan13 I ordered Base 2.7L Sasquatch because I want power, off road ability and value. Don't care about seat material, hosing out my interior or rear bumper.

It's pretty obvious that the BD will be good off road. The 32" tires will take you far, but not as well as 33s or 35s. The rear locker will work great and get you through most things, but front lockers will take you further. A good driver will be able to do crazy extreme stuff in a BD. You will be more limited by skill and courage than vehicle ability.
I hope you’re right! My biggest concern is that we don’t know how the standard H.O.S.S. suspension performs off-road. That combined with the smaller front axle...

OP
OP
ColbyFromBama

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s just not going to happen. With how much people complain and dissect everything, especially this forum, why would Ford (or any manufacturer) put vehicles in a position where they are going to be less than the high end of what they offer and professional drivers at the wheel? You will have to wait for You Tube and owner reviews for that.
Honestly, the sad part is that you’re probably 100% right. As someone who ordered a Black Diamond, I don’t think we have any right to complain if the off-road capability is less than a Badlands. But it would be nice to know what the limits are for the Black Diamond.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.