Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang Convertible, 2012 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am new to the forums and am sure this has been discussed. But I am trying to decide between a BD SAS or a Badlands SAS. I am from the Great Lakes area so not alot of rock climbing to be done here but I hope to make some treks west over the years. Is the sway bar disconnect really only an advantage on the rocks? Other than the Sway bar disconnect, Is there really much difference in the two vehicles? Budget is important, but I am always guilty of "over buying" my trucks with the intention of keeping them forever. (Hasn't happened yet, lol) Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am new to the forums and am sure this has been discussed. But I am trying to decide between a BD SAS or a Badlands SAS. I am from the Great Lakes area so not alot of rock climbing to be done here but I hope to make some treks west over the years. Is the sway bar disconnect really only an advantage on the rocks? Other than the Sway bar disconnect, Is there really much difference in the two vehicles? Budget is important, but I am always guilty of "over buying" my trucks with the intention of keeping them forever. (Hasn't happened yet, lol) Any help would be appreciated.
I think the big different between the two, if you're going SAS on both, is going to be access to the higher level options packages. BD stops at the Mid package, so if you want the 12" screen, 360° cameras, additional safety interventions, etc., you'll need to go BL. If the Mid package or less is enough, BD would probably be more than adequate. BL also comes with the signature lighting, BD doesn't and I don't believe it's even an option, not sure if that's important to you.

I just checked price difference in B&P configurator: BD SAS starts at $45,075, BL SAS starts at $48,325. For the extra $3250, I'd personally go with the BL. Resell will very likely be higher and you do get some nice extra stuff for the price difference.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BD tops out at the MID package - Are you OK with that?

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sway bar disconnect not a deal breaker if you don't plan on using it regularly, and yes it's primary use is rock crawling. If you ever get to rock crawling someday you can just manually disconnect it.

As mentioned otherwise the BL is just more options, and MGV interior with the washout floors.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sway bar disconnect not a deal breaker if you don't plan on using it regularly, and yes it's primary use is rock crawling. If you ever get to rock crawling someday you can just manually disconnect it.

As mentioned otherwise the BL is just more options, and MGV interior with the washout floors.
BD and BL both have MGV and washout floors.

Sponsored

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, it’s your decision. Depends on how you prioritize the features, extra storage, budget, etc.

I wanted the features of the BL and compromised on some other things to get there.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You cannot get the High Package which means no fancy 360 degree camera action.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I forgot to ask, are you doing two-door or four-door? I based my answers and pricing on the two-door models.

chowfun27

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in a similar conundrum between BD SAS and BL w/o SAS and landed on a BL SAS :LOL:

For me, it was a $2k difference between a BD SAS Mid package and BL w/o SAS High package. I just felt the additional features of the BL was worth it. Then I realized I know I would regret not getting SAS so ended up with BL SAS. It was about a $4.5k difference between BD SAS and BL SAS for me and truthfully, I feel like the BL w/o SAS is a better "value" but I'm happy with my decision.

BL SAS over BD SAS gains you....
-Sway bar disconnect
-Signature lighting
-Different grille
-Black MGV with orange accents vs Grey/Black MGV with blue accents
-Baja GOAT mode vs Sport on BD
-Option to get High/Lux/Leather

Look at the price difference between the 2 and ask yourself if it's worth it for these items! Only you can answer this question.

Last edited:

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just went through this decision. If you do not get SAS, then Black Diamond has the base suspension without bilsteins, only rear locker, badlands has f/r lockers.

If you want the 4cyl + 7spd manual, then Black Diamond only gets 4.46 gears instead of 4.7 on the badlands.

If you get SAS, all of those options become the same between the two.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you’re contemplating doing SAS in both, I would get the BL. We have a ‘21 BD non sas with 33’s and go between Midwest and Rockies for work. When we get to work, we are In 4 wheel 80% of the time in Mtns on trails and mining roads, and are undefeated, BUT, we don’t do crazy rock crawling so we’re fine. Rinse and repeat.

We went BD NonSas because of 4:4:6 and lots of hwy between. We knew we were keeping it and driving the dirty hell out of it between flatland and Rockies, Resale or flipping was not a realistic consideration We have 60k mikes on it, modify something every 6 Months, and are filthy with joy.

There is little in Midwest that needs sway bar disconnect, but get the B/L-SAS if resale or future extreme off-rocks are determining factors. Best OEM bargain in off-road.

Mid package, MGV and Small Screen were fine for us but 360 trail cam is impressive . test drive them both.
Sponsored

Last edited: