Sponsored

Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for sharing. Did you do the work yourself?
I did…and it was 25°F yesterday. Haha. I split it up. Front was a bit easier than the back because you don’t have to take off the wheel liner and the lower shock mounts are two bolts at 66 ft pounds instead of the rears which are like 8000. Haha. The hardest part of the front is getting the control arms reseated. But, after the first one the second one was a breeze. I have a small jack that helped lift them into place while the big jack held the wheel end up.

This video was imperative:

Sponsored

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just swapped in Sasquatch Bilsteins from a 2.7L 4DR Badlands with Auto onto my Black Diamond with Manual and alleviated the rake. Gained 1.1” from the suspension and 1.5” from the tires (Toyo AT3 285/75R17 on stock 17” steelies). Super excited about how it turned out. Did a quick few laps on a muddy backroad, some uneven and windy roads. Much better handling than the Hitachis.
EFD60F5F-D5A8-4274-B512-05014C37792B.jpeg
Would love to see more pics from other angles!

Rwarthur

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Gr 86, 2020 Honda Civic Si, 2007 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also interested in results, I have the opportunity to buy 4 door Badland's shocks and springs but mine is a 2 door. Afraid the rake will be all wonky with what I assume is stiffer springs for the 4 door vs the 2 door.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Would love to see more pics from other angles!
Well, final stance may be in flux. Hate to be the barer of bad news. Went to go reinstall my skid plates this morning and when making a sharp turn on a somewhat down hill driveway into my garage - I heard the dreadful rub. Turns out - 285/75 on steelies are going to need some spacers…at full tilt, they’re hitting the swaybar. Ugh.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks? 0229E03F-DF87-43B5-85E4-B05AE2208737

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, final stance may be in flux. Hate to be the barer of bad news. Went to go reinstall my skid plates this morning and when making a sharp turn on a somewhat down hill driveway into my garage - I heard the dreadful rub. Turns out - 285/75 on steelies are going to need some spacers…at full tilt, they’re hitting the swaybar. Ugh.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks? 0229E03F-DF87-43B5-85E4-B05AE2208737
Ok, now I'm really confused. If you use either the badlands or sasquatch takeoffs (like you did), there should be plenty of room right? I guess the slightly taller sidewall of the tires vs badlands 33s is causing it?

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, now I'm really confused. If you use either the badlands or sasquatch takeoffs (like you did), there should be plenty of room right? I guess the slightly taller sidewall of the tires vs badlands 33s is causing it?
I think it’s the 11.5” wide that’s the issue. Others have done the 35x10.5 Kenda Klever w/o issue. So, without offset on the steelies…I need an inch tops…

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m gonna take it back to the alignment shop.

I’m not apt to use spacers. I’m thinking it’s something else going on. I can’t recreate it on the driver side. I’ve tried hard turns up and down hill and it’s only downhill steering right on passenger side downhill.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, here we go for another necro bump.

BD owner lusting needlessly over the BL Bilsteins. Will never do more than a 5 rated trail in my life, not will I ever put 35s on. Already have BL takeoffs wheels and KO2s on the rig. Still surprised over the relatively low clearance under my rig relative to a bone stock Wrangler JK Sport S I unused to own. The belly rubs a lot sooner, figure a inch or two lift will raise the sprung components and resolve that.

Seeing a set of takeoffs for a great price near me on the marketplace here but they are BL SAS takeoffs (and include UCAs). Concerned that the extra lift they give me is too much, particularly for 33s. So my inclination is to keep waiting for a standard BL coilover takeoffs at a good price and then spend around $500 on a shop doing the work for me (don't have the tools or the skill to do it myself).

Thoughts? Advice? Will I have to also correct rake with either standard or SAS BL takeoffs? Do I need a new set of UCAs if Ingo the SAS route?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, here we go for another necro bump.

BD owner lusting needlessly over the BL Bilsteins. Will never do more than a 5 rated trail in my life, not will I ever put 35s on. Already have BL takeoffs wheels and KO2s on the rig. Still surprised over the relatively low clearance under my rig relative to a bone stock Wrangler JK Sport S I unused to own. The belly rubs a lot sooner, figure a inch or two lift will raise the sprung components and resolve that.

Seeing a set of takeoffs for a great price near me on the marketplace here but they are BL SAS takeoffs (and include UCAs). Concerned that the extra lift they give me is too much, particularly for 33s. So my inclination is to keep waiting for a standard BL coilover takeoffs at a good price and then spend around $500 on a shop doing the work for me (don't have the tools or the skill to do it myself).

Thoughts? Advice? Will I have to also correct rake with either standard or SAS BL takeoffs? Do I need a new set of UCAs if Ingo the SAS route?
You won’t need UCAs. The factory ones are the same across the board. I don’t think it will be terrible with the extra 0.5” from the Sasquatch set and 33s.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would just get the SAS ones, I currently have the Badlands shocks takeoffs and 33's and I still get some rubbing on 4-6 rated trails that have rocks, usually the front bumper bash/skid plate is what rubs on rocks though, also on the trailing arm pivot frame mount. Just bought a pair of front SAS and I'm gonna swap just the fronts to get the front end up a little more and reduce the rake a tad.

Last edited:

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thx. Undecided to sit tight for the moment and see how it goes. Labor for install in my area is around $900+tax for 4 coilovers + align. $1500+ is a bit rich for something that I likely will rarely need.
Sponsored