Sponsored

Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks?

NavynutZ

Black Diamond
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t know what’s the etiquette here - bring back an old thread or start a new one…

Anyone do this yet?
In April/May timeframe, i will be taking the coils/shocks from a BL and tossing them on my BD..
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere before, but I looked and couldn't find this discussed anywhere in detail. I have reserved a BD bronco with the 2.7 and automatic 4x4 and was feeling great about my decision. It has everything I want and I am willing to accept that it is a little over my ideal budget. However, after seeing all of the KOH videos come out, I am amazed by the upgraded Bilstein suspension system. It appears to handle the rough terrain like a champion at high speeds and possibly improve ride quality on road (which is what my bronco will be doing 95% of the time).

I am really not willing to upgrade to the badlands due to the price and have no desire to add the sasquatch package. I have no need for the larger tires or front lockers.....but man...that suspension setup looks killer. In all honesty, I probably don't need the upgraded shocks either......but it looks bad ass and I kind of want it.

So I am thinking about the logistics of upgrading to the Bilstein suspension in my BD. Is it as simple as just swapping in new shocks? Or are there more parts that would need to be swapped out to match the performance? I have seen a few threads on this, but have not been able to confirm if the shocks are literally the only difference between the BD and BL suspension systems.

I do a fair amount of car work myself, but have never dabbled in swapping suspension components. Looking at some ford Ranger suspension videos on youtube, it looks like a fairly simple swap, but that obviously does not mean it will be the same here and I have no personal experience. I really wish they had just showed some BD vehicles at KOH and maybe I would still feel confident about my order. I still don't think we have any idea how the standard suspension performs in comparison to the upgraded Bilstein's. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Upgrade your black diamond to Sasquatch package problem solved yeah it’s for money but we’ll worth it I would of been disappointed had I not got Sasquatch . You couldn’t do it cheaper in the aftermarket for what you get the Sasquatch package for

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In April/May timeframe, i will be taking the coils/shocks from a BL and tossing them on my BD..
I have a set too. Waiting on Toyos.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve got a two door BD 2.3 manual. Non -squatch. I’m not disappointed. It suits my needs. It gets me to isolated camping spots, to the mountain for snowboarding when it’s storming, and my favorite mountain biking/ hiking trails. I’d consider squatch if I were a serious off roader, but honestly, that’s not me. I think it’s more capable than anything I’ve had (93 Toyota 4x pickup, 95 4 runner, 19 Tacoma off road). I figure a couple minor upgrades like shocks would be the most that I’d want or need.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NavynutZ

Black Diamond
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is good news. Sounds like there is a chance I will be developing a new bronco trim in the future. The "Bad Diamond"???
In about a month I will be putting on squatch suspension on my Black Diamond. I'll think of a new name though. Haha

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a set too. Waiting on Toyos.
I’m trying to find a set of takeoffs and wheels. Unfortunately it seems as though most people are not modifying their Broncos and keeping them in factory form. OR everyone that is modifying their Broncos live everywhere but the North East 🤣

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dam, need to find me a set of BL take off’s . Any one in NY?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dam, need to find me a set of BL take off’s . Any one in NY?
They’re around $1500 new for all 4 - just would have to be assembled. But, you’d get some sort of warranty out of it.

Sponsored

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BL suspension installed on OBX. Pure plug and play. Just have it aligned afterwards.

Edit- I did a complete stack for stack replacement. I didn’t break down the OBX shocks for tophats or bump stops. BL stack was 100% factory new, complete set for a BL twin of mine- 2.7, 4dr, tow.

Last edited:

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They’re around $1500 new for all 4 - just would have to be assembled. But, you’d get some sort of warranty out of it.
Have you noticed a big difference in having them?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you noticed a big difference in having them?
Not sure yet! Only the rears are in as of this evening. Fronts getting tackled tomorrow.

I have a perfect section of trail I’m going to return to to test the difference.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just swapped in Sasquatch Bilsteins from a 2.7L 4DR Badlands with Auto onto my Black Diamond with Manual and alleviated the rake. Gained 1.1” from the suspension and 1.5” from the tires (Toyo AT3 285/75R17 on stock 17” steelies). Super excited about how it turned out. Did a quick few laps on a muddy backroad, some uneven and windy roads. Much better handling than the Hitachis.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks? EFD60F5F-D5A8-4274-B512-05014C37792B

bhb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just swapped in Sasquatch Bilsteins from a 2.7L 4DR Badlands with Auto onto my Black Diamond with Manual and alleviated the rake. Gained 1.1” from the suspension and 1.5” from the tires (Toyo AT3 285/75R17 on stock 17” steelies). Super excited about how it turned out. Did a quick few laps on a muddy backroad, some uneven and windy roads. Much better handling than the Hitachis.
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks? EFD60F5F-D5A8-4274-B512-05014C37792B
Thanks for sharing. Did you do the work yourself?
Sponsored