Sponsored

Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks?

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere before, but I looked and couldn't find this discussed anywhere in detail. I have reserved a BD bronco with the 2.7 and automatic 4x4 and was feeling great about my decision. It has everything I want and I am willing to accept that it is a little over my ideal budget. However, after seeing all of the KOH videos come out, I am amazed by the upgraded Bilstein suspension system. It appears to handle the rough terrain like a champion at high speeds and possibly improve ride quality on road (which is what my bronco will be doing 95% of the time).

I am really not willing to upgrade to the badlands due to the price and have no desire to add the sasquatch package. I have no need for the larger tires or front lockers.....but man...that suspension setup looks killer. In all honesty, I probably don't need the upgraded shocks either......but it looks bad ass and I kind of want it.

So I am thinking about the logistics of upgrading to the Bilstein suspension in my BD. Is it as simple as just swapping in new shocks? Or are there more parts that would need to be swapped out to match the performance? I have seen a few threads on this, but have not been able to confirm if the shocks are literally the only difference between the BD and BL suspension systems.

I do a fair amount of car work myself, but have never dabbled in swapping suspension components. Looking at some ford Ranger suspension videos on youtube, it looks like a fairly simple swap, but that obviously does not mean it will be the same here and I have no personal experience. I really wish they had just showed some BD vehicles at KOH and maybe I would still feel confident about my order. I still don't think we have any idea how the standard suspension performs in comparison to the upgraded Bilstein's. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere before, but I looked and couldn't find this discussed anywhere in detail. I have reserved a BD bronco with the 2.7 and automatic 4x4 and was feeling great about my decision. It has everything I want and I am willing to accept that it is a little over my ideal budget. However, after seeing all of the KOH videos come out, I am amazed by the upgraded Bilstein suspension system. It appears to handle the rough terrain like a champion at high speeds and possibly improve ride quality on road (which is what my bronco will be doing 95% of the time).

I am really not willing to upgrade to the badlands due to the price and have no desire to add the sasquatch package. I have no need for the larger tires or front lockers.....but man...that suspension setup looks killer. In all honesty, I probably don't need the upgraded shocks either......but it looks bad ass and I kind of want it.

So I am thinking about the logistics of upgrading to the Bilstein suspension in my BD. Is it as simple as just swapping in new shocks? Or are there more parts that would need to be swapped out to match the performance? I have seen a few threads on this, but have not been able to confirm if the shocks are literally the only difference between the BD and BL suspension systems.

I do a fair amount of car work myself, but have never dabbled in swapping suspension components. Looking at some ford Ranger suspension videos on youtube, it looks like a fairly simple swap, but that obviously does not mean it will be the same here and I have no personal experience. I really wish they had just showed some BD vehicles at KOH and maybe I would still feel confident about my order. I still don't think we have any idea how the standard suspension performs in comparison to the upgraded Bilstein's. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
You are not alone man. I was good at BD till those dang KOH videos showed up. I was thinking the same thing, upgrade to whatever that is on the accessories list. I think those videos probably converted a lot of people. Sorry no answers here but I wanna watch this thread, super interested in what the B6G gods say.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if it will be driven on the road 95% of the time, the stock suspension will be your best. paying for sasquatch just for shocks would be a waste. guaranteed down the road you will be able to find them used and bolt right in. swapping out coilovers is a fairly easy job

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll be doing a Skyjacker Nitro set up, but am curious for more info and swap details, so here i am...

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know if you could wait awhile..... I am sure there will be a lot of used low mile set-ups for sale in the future
I wish I could. My 2008 explorer is on its last leg and I am just trying to hold it together long enough to take delivery. It has a bad exhaust manifold leak and a transmission servo slip issue that makes it feel like I am driving over rumble strips when shifting between 4th and 5th gear. When it gets really bad, I resort to locking it in third until I hit the highway. It is less than ideal and more expensive to repair than the car is worth.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

One argument seems to be that if you’re going to throw suspension lift + bigger wheels and tires on eventually that the Sasquatch is too good of a deal to pass up because you’d spend almost the same money, but would have other high value items included in the price, including beefier axles, gear ratios, and lockers. Also OEM factory options are typically worth more than straight aftermarket.

here’s what happened to me when I was in your situation.

I was originally on a MT black diamond 2 door, but decided the MT base + Sasquatch was a better build for me. Having owned a Jeep I personally think the MGV and washout interior is way overhyped on this forum. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s cool that Ford offers it, but I don’t think it’s practical for most people. If you’re letting your $50k Jeep get rained in on a regular basis I’m sorry but that’s a little ridiculous. It’s not a boat. The seats have carpet on the backs anyway and the rubber floors will constantly have dirt prints And dust on them from daily use, and it will be worse for interior acoustics as a daily driver for audio and conversation. (Think echo chamber) factory Carpet and good rubber mats have never failed me before and still looks brand new 10 years later - also a katzkin leather interior with heated seats is a pretty safe and easy, quality upgrade for comfort if you want a nice interior and your dealer probably offers it. Good leather is just as easy to wipe down as vinyl and probably nicer to sit on. Plus I don’t love the blue accents on the BD trim. The base interior seemed the simplest and most livable to me color-wise. Also I guarantee someone will make a quality aftermarket drain plug kit if you really want to drill it later and rip the carpet up in 10 years, the floor drain patterns will probably be there on every model.

the other argument is get the Ford performance parts off road suspension lift kit for $2k+, but then you do 5 wheels and tires (black diamond tires are only 31.6 inches diameter) and you’re almost at $4-5k without the better gearing, lockers, or HD axle.

or wait until a badlands owner wants a lift and buy their stock suspension off of them down the road... and end up with basically the sasquatch suspension...

Long story short, Sasquatch for some people is a smarter buy than the black diamond trim upgrade + proper suspension lift. But only if you’re also upgrading wheels and tires and like the 35s.

or just drive the black diamond for a while and see if you even care. The stock suspension will be plenty for 99% of use cases!

Last edited:
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One argument seems to be that if you’re going to throw suspension lift + bigger wheels and tires on eventually that the Sasquatch is too good of a deal to pass up because you’d spend almost the same money, but would have other high value items included in the price, including beefier axles, gear ratios, and lockers. Also OEM factory options are typically worth more than straight aftermarket.

here’s what happened to me when I was in your situation.

I was originally on a MT black diamond 2 door, but decided the MT base + Sasquatch was a better build for me. Having owned a Jeep I personally think the MGV and washout interior is way overhyped on this forum. If you’re letting your $50k Jeep get rained in on a regular basis I’m sorry but you’re a moron. It’s not a boat. The seats have carpet on the backs anyway and the rubber floors will constantly have dirt prints And dust on them from daily use, and it will be worse for interior acoustics as a daily driver for audio and conversation. (Think echo chamber) factory Carpet and good rubber mats have never failed me before - also a katzkin leather interior with heated seats is a pretty safe and easy, quality upgrade for comfort if you want a nice interior and your dealer probably offers it. Good leather is just as easy to wipe down as vinyl and much nicer to sit on. Plus I don’t get any of the ugly blue stitching and plastics on the BD. Also I guarantee someone will make a quality aftermarket drain plug kit if you want to drill it later, the floor drain patterns will probably be there on every model.

the other argument is get the Ford performance off road suspension for $2k+, but then you do 5 wheels and tires (black diamond tires are only 31.6 inches diameter) and you’re almost at $4-5k without the better gearing, lockers, or HD axle.

Long story short, Sasquatch in my opinion is a smarter buy than the black diamond trim upgrade.
I see the logic in this thinking, I just don't really see myself wanting 35 inch tires down the road. I could be wrong, but for now, I am happy to be a lowly mall crawler seeking weekend adventure. My interest in the vinyl is more about ease of cleaning with filthy children in the back seat, but the Katzkin leather is a great idea for cost savings.

The most probable answer is that the stock suspension will be more than I will ever need and I need to come to terms with the fact that I am not as adventurous than I would like to think I am. I can always pretend to drive in the baja 1000 while parked safely in my garage :)

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I see the logic in this thinking, I just don't really see myself wanting 35 inch tires down the road. I could be wrong, but for now, I am happy to be a lowly mall crawler seeking weekend adventure. My interest in the vinyl is more about ease of cleaning with filthy children in the back seat, but the Katzkin leather is a great idea for cost savings.

The most probable answer is that the stock suspension will be more than I will ever need and I need to come to terms with the fact that I am not as adventurous than I would like to think I am.
I think that is realistic and a good perspective.

the black diamond is going to be an awesome daily driver and adventure vehicle stock.

also I’d probably have seat covers anyway with kids, but that’s just me! I do think the vinyl will be good for that though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I placed an order for a BD and plan to see how it’s rides on and off road the first few months I have it. Then see what Ford performance or the after market scene offers. I mostly will want to add a level kit and 33’s soon after I get my Bronco, so I’d probably add upgraded shock/struts at that point. These upgrades should be fairly easy if you know your way around a wrench, I think. Will just have to have a professional shop check the alignment when all done.

Last edited:

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

wouldn't the position sensitive feature need to be calibrated with the electronics or am I a big dum dum?

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
wouldn't the position sensitive feature need to be calibrated with the electronics or am I a big dum dum?
Good question. I believe that the position sensitive feature is controlled by separate reservoirs of fluid and not tied into the electronics system, but I could be wrong on this. Someone smarter than me can probably answer this better.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm comforted to know there are several of us BD buyers in the same boat. I just don't need the rest of the bits with the sasquach package. All of the videos from KOH made me jealous for sure, but the BD literally has the same bones as those they were driving, so the potential is still there. My plan is to drive it a while and then throw on the ford performance suspension or some BL takeoffs. That will be more than enough for what I'll be using the vehicle for. It should just need the coilovers for the change, no additional components. That's a pretty easy swap for sure.
Sponsored