Sponsored

Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks?

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I place an order for a BD and plan to see how it’s rides on and off road the first few months I have it. Then see what Ford performance or the after market scene offers. I mostly will want to ad a level kit at 33’s soon after I get my Bronco, so I’d probably add upgraded shock/struts at that point. These upgrades should be fairly easy if you know your way around a wrench. Will just have to have a professional shop check the alignment when all down.
I agree with this plan. This seems like a good route to go. In all likelihood, the stock suspensions system will be just fine and I won't know the difference.
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good question. I believe that the position sensitive feature is controlled by separate reservoirs of fluid and not tied into the electronics system, but I could be wrong on this. Someone smarter than me can probably answer this better.
I don't think it's like magnaride (or the crazy ones on my 05 volvo), etc where the computer is used in conjunction. It should be all within the body of the coilover.

Benji_Allgood

Black Diamond
First Name
Benji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fam
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Bronco's are standard with the HOSS system. The difference between standard duty suspension and Sasquatch/Badlands suspension is the Bilstein position sensitive dampers. It would be great to see some videos of ride-alongs with the other trims. I'm pretty sure Ford is trying to get people to upgrade to Badlands/Sasquatch with the heavy handed "Badlands is the most capable" hyperbole. I'm thinking I'm going to hold my ground with the unsquatched BD. I think it will be more than capable and fun for my usage.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree with this plan. This seems like a good route to go. In all likelihood, the stock suspensions system will be just fine and I won't know the difference.
I love the Black Diamond for the fact that its not base base so there is some cool off road tech in it already (probably all that ill ever need) but not totally built up like a Badlands or Sasquatch, giving me a tad of freedom to do some customization to it.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Bronco's are standard with the HOSS system. The difference between standard duty suspension and Sasquatch/Badlands suspension is the Bilstein position sensitive dampers. It would be great to see some videos of ride-alongs with the other trims. I'm pretty sure Ford is trying to get people to upgrade to Badlands/Sasquatch with the heavy handed "Badlands is the most capable" hyperbole. I'm thinking I'm going to hold my ground with the unsquatched BD. I think it will be more than capable and fun for my usage.
Agreed, The Badlands is really awesome but way to much over kill for me, and probably for most of its buyers but thats ok.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That is my understanding as well, but my confusion around their usage of the "HOSS" system language is part of my reason for starting this thread. What is the "HOSS" system exactly? The independent suspension? Just the suspension in general? The computer system and goat modes? All of it? I honestly have no idea. The only thing that is spelled out is the Bilstein's being part of Sas, BL, WT, and FE. The rest of what falls under the "HOSS" umbrella is a mystery to me.

Benji_Allgood

Black Diamond
First Name
Benji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fam
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is my understanding as well, but my confusion around their usage of the "HOSS" system language is part of my reason for starting this thread. What is the "HOSS" system exactly? The independent suspension? Just the suspension in general? The computer system and goat modes? All of it? I honestly have no idea. The only thing that is spelled out is the Bilstein's being part of Sas, BL, WT, and FE. The rest of what falls under the "HOSS" umbrella is a mystery to me.
Lol nobody knows 🤷🏼‍♂️ I really think Ford wants it that way.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A little more explanation but HOSS is standard on everything, standard BL and Squatch add to it,

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ce-off-road-stability-suspension-system.1847/

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All Broncos have the HOSS system and the Bilstein shocks are the 'upgrade' to the standard HOSS system on the higher trim levels. I don't think the shocks are controlled by any electronics, though I haven't seen any Broncos up close and personal and going by pictures.

I read in one of the KOH threads where a Ford engineer (I think) said the aftermarket version would be as good if not better than the Factory version.

Now, I don't know if they were referring to the suspension kit Ford will offer or direct from Bilstein, but I'm pretty sure you could upgrade the shocks to Bilstein, Fox or one of the other reputable brands and get similar/equal results for around the $1k range, possibly.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wouldn't the position sensitive feature need to be calibrated with the electronics or am I a big dum dum?
It's position sensing in the way that your toilet tank "knows" to stop filling up. Different mechanism, but it's not electronic.

Sponsored

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone somewhere will come out with a pretty good suspension upgrade that will bolt right onto the BD. The "upgraded" billstein shocks look pretty simple to my eyes, with the reservoir just providing more room for fluid. You know FOX will have shocks for the Bronco at some point (if not already) and that any number of aftermarket companies will build shocks for it. My guess is that you'll be able to put a decent set of suspenders on for $2k or less.

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A little more explanation but HOSS is standard on everything, standard BL and Squatch add to it,

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ce-off-road-stability-suspension-system.1847/
This was extremely helpful and informative, thanks. It does seem like the only difference is the Bilstein shocks. If I am understanding this correctly, the Bilstein shocks are what allow for the difference in suspension travel between the BD and BL trims without any other real changes. Am I missing something or does that seem accurate?

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love the Black Diamond for the fact that its not base base so there is some cool off road tech in it already (probably all that ill ever need) but not totally built up like a Badlands or Sasquatch, giving me a tad of freedom to do some customization to it.
Agreed, plus I've always enjoyed modifying my vehicles to make them more uniquely mine. It's part of the fun for me.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lol nobody knows 🤷🏼‍♂️ I really think Ford wants it that way.
I think your right. I dont think there is much difference at all besides the shocks/strust between sas and non sas. Looks like the Billstien 8100 adjustable shocks run about $800 for a set with the remote reservior. Easy add on. I wouldnt worry about it.