Sponsored

Black Diamond Upgrade to Bilstein Position Sensitive Shocks?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

This was extremely helpful and informative, thanks. It does seem like the only difference is the Bilstein shocks. If I am understanding this correctly, the Bilstein shocks are what allow for the difference in suspension travel between the BD and BL trims without any other real changes. Am I missing something or does that seem accurate?
I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer but yes, you can only have as much travel as your shocks allow but have to account for everything else (clearance, springs, suspension geometry, etc.).
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also of note, I just checked Bilstein's site and they already have the Bronco listed and every trim is available to pick. The products are empty at the moment but I expect them to be filled as soon as Ford allows venders to start selling.

OP
OP

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also of note, I just checked Bilstein's site and they already have the Bronco listed and every trim is available to pick. The products are empty at the moment but I expect them to be filled as soon as Ford allows venders to start selling.
This is good news. Sounds like there is a chance I will be developing a new bronco trim in the future. The "Bad Diamond"???

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah I’m in the same boat. The Sasquatch is tempting, but it is really overkill for me. I don’t need the front locker, and the 35s honestly look a little too caricature on a 2 door. So when it comes down to it ,while I would also like the stronger front axle, I really only want the upgraded suspension. I can save a lot of money going aftermarket over Squatch.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There will be a ton of guys selling their Sasquatch suspension (along with take off wheel and tires) right out of the gate. I'll be one of those guys. Just keep your eyes peeled in the classifed section in the next year or so.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One argument seems to be that if you’re going to throw suspension lift + bigger wheels and tires on eventually that the Sasquatch is too good of a deal to pass up because you’d spend almost the same money, but would have other high value items included in the price, including beefier axles, gear ratios, and lockers. Also OEM factory options are typically worth more than straight aftermarket.

here’s what happened to me when I was in your situation.

I was originally on a MT black diamond 2 door, but decided the MT base + Sasquatch was a better build for me. Having owned a Jeep I personally think the MGV and washout interior is way overhyped on this forum. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s cool that Ford offers it, but I don’t think it’s practical for most people. If you’re letting your $50k Jeep get rained in on a regular basis I’m sorry but that’s a little ridiculous. It’s not a boat. The seats have carpet on the backs anyway and the rubber floors will constantly have dirt prints And dust on them from daily use, and it will be worse for interior acoustics as a daily driver for audio and conversation. (Think echo chamber) factory Carpet and good rubber mats have never failed me before and still looks brand new 10 years later - also a katzkin leather interior with heated seats is a pretty safe and easy, quality upgrade for comfort if you want a nice interior and your dealer probably offers it. Good leather is just as easy to wipe down as vinyl and probably nicer to sit on. Plus I don’t love the blue accents on the BD trim. The base interior seemed the simplest and most livable to me color-wise. Also I guarantee someone will make a quality aftermarket drain plug kit if you really want to drill it later and rip the carpet up in 10 years, the floor drain patterns will probably be there on every model.

the other argument is get the Ford performance parts off road suspension lift kit for $2k+, but then you do 5 wheels and tires (black diamond tires are only 31.6 inches diameter) and you’re almost at $4-5k without the better gearing, lockers, or HD axle.

or wait until a badlands owner wants a lift and buy their stock suspension off of them down the road... and end up with basically the sasquatch suspension...

Long story short, Sasquatch for some people is a smarter buy than the black diamond trim upgrade + proper suspension lift. But only if you’re also upgrading wheels and tires and like the 35s.

or just drive the black diamond for a while and see if you even care. The stock suspension will be plenty for 99% of use cases!
This "
Long story short, Sasquatch for some people is a smarter buy than the black diamond trim upgrade + proper suspension lift. But only if you’re also upgrading wheels and tires and like the 35s.
That's where I'm at, I like the Squatch stuff but not the 35". I like a narrower 33 (255's), even the Badlands 285's are too wide for my use/taste (not to mention the add'l $10K) so I'm going with a BB w 4.27 locker , up grade tires sometime and maybe suspension down the road

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2D BaseSquatch, 1967 Bronco, 2016 Range Rover
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am one of those that enjoyed a 30 minute ride at KOH. You are going to spend a fortune trying to replicate the performance of that BL/Squatch performance with aftermarket parts. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it is going to cost more then you think. Ford really has this sorted out. You can buy new spring rates and reservoir shocks but someone is going to need to plow a bunch of R&D time into the kit to make it work the way Ford has it setup. Frankly, the Squatch package is a bargain even if 95% of your use is on the road because during that 5% you are going to 100% wish you had gotten it. Just my opinion.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am one of those that enjoyed a 30 minute ride at KOH. You are going to spend a fortune trying to replicate the performance of that BL/Squatch performance with aftermarket parts. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it is going to cost more then you think. Ford really has this sorted out. You can buy new spring rates and reservoir shocks but someone is going to need to plow a bunch of R&D time into the kit to make it work the way Ford has it setup. Frankly, the Squatch package is a bargain even if 95% of your use is on the road because during that 5% you are going to 100% wish you had gotten it. Just my opinion.
Sure, i can definitely understand that perspective. I'll just have to shoot for 75% as good as the sasquach package when i go aftermarket! It will still be overkill for my use even at that level.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I Ordered my BD and will drive and upgrade overtime as fitting to usage,a side note is if you want a front locker the BL uses the same ratio 4.46 so watch the junkyards.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I Ordered my BD and will drive and upgrade overtime as fitting to usage,a side note is if you want a front locker the BL uses the same ratio 4.46 so watch the junkyards.
Good point. I'll have to keep that in mind. Regardless, all signs point to me going with the modded BD as my Bronco, and we'll see what the aftermarket comes up with.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will be able to get takeoff coilovers and UCAs pretty soon after deliveries start. Just hang in there if what you want is the upgraded factory suspension.

Personally, I will hopefully have Fox coilovers already at the house so I can install the first week I have my BD Bronco.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will be able to get takeoff coilovers and UCAs pretty soon after deliveries start. Just hang in there if what you want is the upgraded factory suspension.

Personally, I will hopefully have Fox coilovers already at the house so I can install the first week I have my BD Bronco.
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us BD owners updated if you can. Thanks!

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m a Badlands buyer but I believe you will/should be able to buy these shocks either as takeoffs or even from Ford or Bilstein short;y after Broncos are available. The only other unknown is you a;so may want/need the coils/springs that come off a BL/WT/FE to also get lift and some stiffness as it’s not on;y shocks but shocks and springs.

I too may be looking for Fox adjustable s but hap[y with what is coming on the Badlands.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don’t know what’s the etiquette here - bring back an old thread or start a new one…

Anyone do this yet?
Sponsored