Sponsored

Black Diamond vs. Badlands Build Premium?

smocon73

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu (aka dad car) & 97 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I make the same build as much as i can between the two to compare (add the same 4x4 and mid packages) there's still about a $5-6k difference and from what i can tell the main differences are as follows:
  • 7 G.O.A.T. Modes - Black Diamond has Sport mode vs. Badlands has Baja mode
  • Suspension
    • Black Diamond - HOSS (High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension) System
      • M190 Dana AdvanTEK Front Axle
    • Badlands - HOSS System with Bilstein™ Position Sensitive Dampers
      • M210 Dana AdvanTEK Front Axle
      • Locking Front Differential
      • Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
  • Included wheels/tires
    • Black Diamond -
      • 17" black-painted steel wheels
      • 32" LT265/70R17 all-terrain tires
    • Badlands
      • 17" Carbonized Gray-painted machined-face aluminum wheels
      • 33" LT285/70R17 all-terrain tires
  • Rock Rails - Badlands only $595??? - B&P says standard on Badlands only, but the original Ford PDF says standard on Black Diamond and Badlands
  • Headlamps - LED with LED signature lighting
Am I missing any other big differences? Do you think these differences justify that $5-6k premium?

Do you think they'll offer the High on Black Diamond in 2022 model year?

I would totally go Black Diamond if could get the High package, cause I want those options and I just don't see the huge benefit from the above differences based on my planned usage and don't think I need all the Badlands stuff.
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rock rails should also be standard on BD.

BBB

First Name
Tont
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would the sas package add much to the black diamond

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sasquatch on a BD is 4500. I’ve analyzed the BD vs BL to death. At the end of the day, could you upgrade the tire size, gearing, front locker, larger axle and upgrade the suspension to what equates to an 1” of lift for 5-6k yourself? If yes, than go BD. Otherwise, the Badlands does justify the added cost with all the added equipment. Now, are you going to use that equipment to justify it?

I ended up going BD only because of budget constraints. I have been debating this exact thing since the packages were released, all the way up to about an hour ago when I finally placed my order. As much as I would love the added equipment amd would use it, I couldn’t justify the added cost up front. I will add little by little as I go.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I've been going between BD squatch V6 Mid and BL manual High with optional wheels. If they would have offered manual and mid/high on the BD my choice would already be made. It really depends on what you want and need in relation to your budget.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sasquatch on a BD is 4500. I’ve analyzed the BD vs BL to death. At the end of the day, could you upgrade the tire size, gearing, front locker, larger axle and upgrade the suspension to what equates to an 1” of lift for 5-6k yourself? If yes, than go BD. Otherwise, the Badlands does justify the added cost with all the added equipment. Now, are you going to use that equipment to justify it?

I ended up going BD only because of budget constraints. I have been debating this exact thing since the packages were released, all the way up to about an hour ago when I finally placed my order. As much as I would love the added equipment amd would use it, I couldn’t justify the added cost up front. I will add little by little as I go.
Your analysis is right on. The BL is pretty much a Sasquatch without the bigger tires and flares. I was originally going BD with sas but decided to go BL without sas. Then put 305/70’s on it.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your analysis is right on. The BL is pretty much a Sasquatch without the bigger tires and flares. I was originally going BD with sas but decided to go BL without sas. Then put 305/70’s on it.
I was looking into 285/75’s if I would have went BL route. As it sits now, I should be able to clear 285/70 on the BD, or perhaps the 285/75 with a short level and the narrow crash bars @Rick Astley pointed out in the other thread. I don’t want ridiculous height, just enough to go a bit bigger for clearance.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was all set until the BD/7mt/mid was no longer an option.

Sponsored

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I make the same build as much as i can between the two to compare (add the same 4x4 and mid packages) there's still about a $5-6k difference and from what i can tell the main differences are as follows:
  • 7 G.O.A.T. Modes - Black Diamond has Sport mode vs. Badlands has Baja mode
  • Suspension
    • Black Diamond - HOSS (High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension) System
      • M190 Dana AdvanTEK Front Axle
    • Badlands - HOSS System with Bilstein™ Position Sensitive Dampers
      • M210 Dana AdvanTEK Front Axle
      • Locking Front Differential
      • Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
  • Included wheels/tires
    • Black Diamond -
      • 17" black-painted steel wheels
      • 32" LT265/70R17 all-terrain tires
    • Badlands
      • 17" Carbonized Gray-painted machined-face aluminum wheels
      • 33" LT285/70R17 all-terrain tires
  • Rock Rails - Badlands only $595??? - B&P says standard on Badlands only, but the original Ford PDF says standard on Black Diamond and Badlands
  • Headlamps - LED with LED signature lighting
Am I missing any other big differences? Do you think these differences justify that $5-6k premium?

Do you think they'll offer the High on Black Diamond in 2022 model year?

I would totally go Black Diamond if could get the High package, cause I want those options and I just don't see the huge benefit from the above differences based on my planned usage and don't think I need all the Badlands stuff.
If you want to compare the those two, there is no getting around adding Squatch to Black Diamond to make them equal ....THAT is the $5k difference. The two suspensions and drivelines are not comparable.

Badlands IS Squatched but with 33's and 1.5" lift instead of 2" PLUS the disco swaybar.
The $2500 Squatch package buys you that last 1/2" of lift, bigger tires and most expensively, FORGED aluminum bead lock capable wheels.

Did you try building out an Outer Banks with the High or Lux?
Off the top of my head, they are the same suspension and drive line as BD.
Couple different odds and ends and those hideous painted flares (my opinion , many love them).

OP
OP
smocon73

smocon73

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu (aka dad car) & 97 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want to compare the those two, there is no getting around adding Squatch to Black Diamond to make them equal ....THAT is the $5k difference. The two suspensions and drivelines are not comparable.

Badlands IS Squatched but with 33's and 1.5" lift instead of 2" PLUS the disco swaybar.
The $2500 Squatch package buys you that last 1/2" of lift, bigger tires and most expensively, FORGED aluminum bead lock capable wheels.

Did you try building out an Outer Banks with the High or Lux?
Off the top of my head, they are the same suspension and drive line as BD.
Couple different odds and ends and those hideous painted flares (my opinion , many love them).
Those are good points. That brings the delta down to about $3.5k.

I believe that equalizes all the differences (suspension, wheels/tires, ) except the G.O.A.T mode, Front Disco and headlight differences.

It wasn't until i posted this that i was able to see similar threads...sometimes the search function on bronco6g isn't that great...or more likely user error...either way....I'd say close this thread due to being asked and answered. Thanks for your comments and sorry for the repetition.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs