Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's what I've gotta have, here's how I'm going to use it:

Manual
MGV
Hard Top (although to speed things up I'd order the soft top and get an aftermarket hard top)

It will replace my '07 JK, which has been a great vehicle. Yes, it has some steering issues, I had the death wobble early on, but all in all, no major issues yet. They are coming I'm sure, it's constantly leaking oil and the cats are dying a slow death.

In any case, I'm on the beach 250+ days a year, not off roading a majority of those, just in sand, kiteboarding, surfing, you name it. So, my vehicle has to be able to be washed out, hence the MGV. I live in South Carolina, so the heat is a concern with the MGV, but my cloth seats are falling apart even with covers, and I never liked the Neoprene covers. Carpet, ha.......forget about it, I tossed it out of the JK the 2nd day I owned it.

Here's my thought - I have a July 2021 reservation for a black diamond, but no build yet as I'm still deciding. I don't want Sasquatch to add extra time to the build, but I like the wheel/tire combo of the Badlands over the Black Diamond, drove one this weekend in a manual, loved it. Here's my questions:

1. What else am I getting for the approximate $3-4k difference between Badlands and BD (with upgraded wheels, I'm not a fan of the stock ones). I know upgraded suspension, LED lights. Anything that will actually affect the daily driving?
2. I'm guessing the BD will get built quick, who knows right?
3. Badlands is pretty much exactly what I want, BD I'd probably look at changing wheels and/or tires. A bit of me says it's already $42k, why not pay another $3k or so and get exactly what I want.

Again, it will be mostly on pavement. I plan to do some off-roading (other than just on the beach - OBX, Florida, here), but probably very minimal in the way of rock climbing based on where I live. I do go to the NC mountains a good bit to hike/fish, so it's possible.

Thoughts? Ha, I love researching all of this, part of the fun of looking.
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in NC and we have a house on the beach and we go to the NC mountains, so same deal. I opted for the BD because I like the steel wheels and tire combo and I thought it looked great as a 2 door ( i got a Manual).

My larger concern was extra tech and 4x4 hardware that I won't likely use, but would cause maintenance headaches or cost in the future. No sense if paying extra for stuff I wont use and pay extra to fix and maintain those items later.

If you are going to use it, and you like the wheel/tire combo better then it is worth going to the BL.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stabar disconnect, 4A transfer case and HD locking front axle, additional GOAT mode, plus the 33ā€ tire. The Stabar disconnect is surprising nice for ride quality ā€œoff roadā€ under 20mph. 4A case is available on the BD but brings the price $1k closer. I just got back from Off Roadeo and the #1 thing attendees wanted after driving the Broncos for two days was the stabar disconnect. I have the Badlands and so far donā€™t regret anything I ordered, but itā€™s not cheap šŸ˜¢

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you also get "beefier" front axles with the BL that can handle larger tires. The BD axle is rated for max of 33" I believe, but many are saying if you are not going to aggressivley rock crawl the smalle axle should handle 35s.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I changed my initial order from BD to BL (now contemplating base, but thatā€™s a different thread). Here are the differences as I see them:

Basic Black Diamond 4 door build with upgraded wheels $41,035

Basic Badlands 4 door build is $46,085, so $5K more. I think the value is there to get the following for the $5K price difference.
larger M210 front differential with locker
4.7 vs 4.46 axle gearing
advanced transfer case with auto 4wd and lower gearing in low range
sway bar disconnect
upgraded Bilstein shocks
285/70R17 (33ā€) tires on aluminum wheels

Then there are the packages you can get with a manual on BL:
mid package with manual trans, I like copilot 360 safety features, heated seats, auto dimming mirror, intelligent access, reverse sensing system. No brainer for $1495.

high package with manual trans, I like 12ā€ screen, 360 cameras, forward parking sensors. Definitely worth another $1295.

lux package for those who want adaptive cruise, B&O stereo, heated steering wheel, evasive steering assist. I donā€™t have this on my order, but for another $2295 I probably should.

I originally ordered BD with minimal options for $39K (2 door). The difference to go BL High package is $8500. There is so much stuff that canā€™t be replicated aftermarket in that $8500 that I couldnā€™t see going BD.

Iā€™m contemplating changing to base to save $17K. I know Iā€™m giving up a lot if I do that, but my thought is that the next refresh in 3-4 years will be an even better Bronco and I can trade up. The risk is that the 2 door or the manual is discontinued in that time. On the other side of the equation, I have 3 buddyā€™s with sons that will be of driving age in 3-4 years. First off I need to teach them how to drive a manual, secondly a base Bronco would be a great first car for one of them.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond vs. Badlands 3338A50D-F64E-45C3-96F4-72DAB418C7AF

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I went back and fourth on this and still kinda am. Really it comes down to how much luxury you want because IMO the only reason to go Badlands is if you want the manual + mid/high/lux and you plan on doing some heavy rock crawling.

Ford not letting you get mid pack with manual in any other trim is bullshit.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went back and fourth on this and still kinda am. Really it comes down to how much luxury you want because IMO the only reason to go Badlands is if you want the manual + mid/high/lux and you plan on doing some heavy rock crawling.

Ford not letting you get mid pack with manual in any other trim is bullshit.
It really is BS. I'd be perfectly content with a 2Dr. BD MID 2.3 7MT - no clue why they'd block that build. Plenty of people would still go BL for High/Lux.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands is pretty much exactly what I want, BD I'd probably look at changing wheels and/or tires. A bit of me says it's already $42k, why not pay another $3k or so and get exactly what I want.
Sounds like you already know what to get.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Between just non-sasquatch black diamond and badlands with mid package or lower you'll have basically the same constrained item: that modular steel bumper. So your build priority will be similar between the two models, at least theoretically.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Between just non-sasquatch black diamond and badlands with mid package or lower you'll have basically the same constrained item: that modular steel bumper. So your build priority will be similar between the two models, at least theoretically.
BL has the front locker constraint as well.

Sponsored

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good info from everyone, the mid package may be worth it, although Iā€™m pretty much a low technology guy in my vehicle. I want it to run and be able to get flooded in a downpour and still operate.

One thing I did find interesting - is there a bit of a lift with the upgraded shocks/suspension with the Badlands for the 33ā€™ tire? Iā€™ll research the sway bar disconnect a bit more, my JK X doesnā€™t have it, but it hasnā€™t seen rocks since it was 2 or 3 years old. Just sand/mud.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Good info from everyone, the mid package may be worth it, although Iā€™m pretty much a low technology guy in my vehicle. I want it to run and be able to get flooded in a downpour and still operate.

One thing I did find interesting - is there a bit of a lift with the upgraded shocks/suspension with the Badlands for the 33ā€™ tire? Iā€™ll research the sway bar disconnect a bit more, my JK X doesnā€™t have it, but it hasnā€™t seen rocks since it was 2 or 3 years old. Just sand/mud.
There is a bit of a lift with the Badlands suspension. The base suspension clears 33's without issue, though.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There is a bit of a lift with the Badlands suspension. The base suspension clears 33's without issue, though.
This thread said that the Badlands is .67" taller than lesser trims because of suspension only.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ide-lift-heights-with-wheel-tire-sizes.17719/

The Badlands has more suspension travel with those Bilstein shocks.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond vs. Badlands Bronco Suspension

I'm thinking there will be plenty of the Bilstein shocks coming off people's trucks when they upgrade or lift.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/blog/a-look-inside-the-all-new-bilstein-escv-for-the-ford-bronco/

Bronco4x4

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was in the SAME boat as you. Not a hardcore off roader and had a hard time justifying the additional money for the BL. I ended up with the BD and could not be happier. They way I look at it, I will probably want to change the tires and wheels at some point regardless of trim so I figured Iā€™d save some coin and go BD. No front locker was not a big deal and I actually prefer the color scheme of the interior of the BD over the BL. The one thing that stinks is the non-sig lights but I have come to like the standard ones. I have just over 1,200 miles on mine and and stoked with my choice.
Sponsored