Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If someone was going to get the Sasquatch no matter what (which negates the wheel/tire/gears/etc. difference). What makes the badlands ~$6K more than the Black Diamond? I see the sway bar disconnect, but don't see too many more differences beyond the availability of the high/lux packages...

Can someone help me out here?
Sponsored

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s my dilemma too. I’m waiting for the number to come out. I want the manual transmission but could do without the front disconnect in the badlands but want the upgraded suspension and tires that are standard. But if I want that in the black diamond I’ll have to get the Sasquatch and dont want the auto with it. But if that’s what the cost dictates then I’ll just go with the black diamond with the Sasquatch. I’m going for an overlanding rig so I’d like to have all the standard options on the badlands. I’m thinking the standard equipment on that will be very close to what it would cost to add most of it to the black diamond. Also the badlands comes with Baja mode upgraded 4x4 with 4A.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If someone was going to get the Sasquatch no matter what (which negates the wheel/tire/gears/etc. difference). What makes the badlands ~$6K more than the Black Diamond? I see the sway bar disconnect, but don't see too many more differences beyond the availability of the high/lux packages...

Can someone help me out here?
Here's what I can see that is standard on the Badlands, but optional on Black Diamond (assuming you get Squatch on both):

•Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement
•Terrain Management System with 7 G.O.A.T. Modes including Rock Crawl and Baja (Black Diamond has 7 goat modes including Rock Crawl, but the 7th mode is "Sport" instead of "and Baja").
•M210 Dana AdvanTEK front suspension (this may be part of Sasquatch, but it's not listed as "included w/Sasquatch Pkg." anywhere I've seen)

The Badlands also lists "Available leather-trimmed seats" under the standard package, which I don't see listed on the Black Diamond at all. That may mean you can get those without going high/lux, I don't know, but "available" and "standard" are not the same thing.

There are some other differences in standard equipment, but they get nullified by the Sasquatch package. Things like the base tire size (32" on Black Diamond, 33" on Badlands), available tire options (there's a 33" mud terrain for the Badlands, Black Diamond is stock or Squatch upgrade), wheel material (steel on Black Diamond, alloy on Badlands), front and rear lockers are standard on Badlands, whether you Squatch it or not. The Bilstein version of the HOSS setup is also standard on the Badlands, whereas you have to Squatch the BD to get it.

I suspect it will probably be cheaper to upgrade to the Sasquatch package on the Badlands than on the Black Diamond just because some of the things that Sasquatch adds to the other models are already part of the Badlands trim.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's what I can see that is standard on the Badlands, but optional on Black Diamond (assuming you get Squatch on both):

•Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement
•Terrain Management System with 7 G.O.A.T. Modes including Rock Crawl and Baja (Black Diamond has 7 goat modes including Rock Crawl, but the 7th mode is "Sport" instead of "and Baja").
•M210 Dana AdvanTEK front suspension (this may be part of Sasquatch, but it's not listed as "included w/Sasquatch Pkg." anywhere I've seen)

The Badlands also lists "Available leather-trimmed seats" under the standard package, which I don't see listed on the Black Diamond at all. That may mean you can get those without going high/lux, I don't know, but "available" and "standard" are not the same thing.

There are some other differences in standard equipment, but they get nullified by the Sasquatch package. Things like the base tire size (32" on Black Diamond, 33" on Badlands), available tire options (there's a 33" mud terrain for the Badlands, Black Diamond is stock or Squatch upgrade), wheel material (steel on Black Diamond, alloy on Badlands), front and rear lockers are standard on Badlands, whether you Squatch it or not. The Bilstein version of the HOSS setup is also standard on the Badlands, whereas you have to Squatch the BD to get it.

I suspect it will probably be cheaper to upgrade to the Sasquatch package on the Badlands than on the Black Diamond just because some of the things that Sasquatch adds to the other models are already part of the Badlands trim.
This is coming down to price between these two.

For me, I'm generally thinking BD w/ Sasquatch or Badlands w/o Sasquatch.

Especially since, unless I'm wrong, once the 33" tires wear down you can replace them with the 35" tires:

Badlands tires: 285/70R17
Sasquatch tires: 315/70R17

If you are running a manual, the final gear ratio doesn't change between Sasquatch and stock Badlands.

If you go with the Automatic, you get 4.46 gears stock. Is it a big jump from 4.46 vs 4.7? Math-wise it doesn't sound like a big deal (0.24 difference) but I'll let someone more learned than me explain.

OP
OP
foreWard

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it is going to come down to if I can get the 12" screen in the BD (if it is stand alone or only in the high package).

I know, that's probably irrational, but I like my tech stuff..

Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Especially since, unless I'm wrong, once the 33" tires wear down you can replace them with the 35" tires:

Sasquatch adds a 1.2" lift in addition to the tires. If that lift is part of the Bilstein version of the HOSS, then I see no problem. If it's not, you might need to add a little bit of a lift to go to 35s. I don't actually know.

If you are running a manual, the final gear ratio doesn't change between Sasquatch and stock Badlands.
Just to be clear, current indications are that you can't mix Sasquatch and manual. Sasquatch forces you into an automatic, but also gives you a 4.7:1 final drive ratio.

As near as I can tell, the manual's final drive ratio is 4.7:1 also.

So you are correct in that a stock Badlands with a manual will have the same final drive ratio (4.7:1) as anything with a Sasquatch package.

If you go with the Automatic, you get 4.46 gears stock. Is it a big jump from 4.46 vs 4.7? Math-wise it doesn't sound like a big deal (0.24 difference) but I'll let someone more learned than me explain.
Other than "higher number better," this is outside of my knowledge base. I know that you can calculate the difference if you know the drive ratios of the axle, transfer case, and transmission, but I don't know all of those numbers to do the calculation and give you a comparison. Sorry.

bigjwalt

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you replace the BD 32" with the 33" (285/70/R17). I am curious why there is no option for the 33" tire on the BD.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Can you replace the BD 32" with the 33" (285/70/R17). I am curious why there is no option for the 33" tire on the BD.
I don't see why not. That's not a huge difference in tire size.

There's no option for a 33" tire anywhere. It's standard on Badlands (technically, there's an option for a different 33" tire on the Badlands, but it's still only on the Badlands) and not available anywhere else. Base is 30" standard, BB, BD, and OB are all 32" standard.

If you want something other than the standard tire size for a given trim on any of them from the factory, Ford is saying "Squatch it or GTFO." And with the WT and FE, Ford is saying "We done Squatched it for you, so take it or GTFO."

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You probably can...but maybe it rubs a little in a tight turn, and that is why the Badlands is lifted. Hard to tell until someone tries it, since the only factory one with 33s has a lift. It's only a 1/2" extra on all sides, but when I went from stock 32s to 33s on my FJ (pre lift), it rubbed a tad when turning tightly, until I had the alignment adjusted a bit to push the wheels out a tiny bit. May be it works on the Bronco right off.

Marrowthirst

Badlands
First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 2006 Hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is what I see as far as differences found in Badlands not found in Black Diamond -

Sway Bar Disconnect (already noted by OP)
Different Grille
Same Color Top as Vehicle Color (Only one with option)
Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement (Standard as opposed to option)
Baja mode in Terrain Management System
Leather Seats (Option in Badlands not found in Black Diamond)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Black Diamond doesn’t have privacy tinted windows?

Marrowthirst

Badlands
First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 2006 Hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Zinn - you are correct! Not only do they both share the privacy tinted windows but both have the rear wiper. I pulled my info from a bad list someone else had made. I edited my response. Thanks!

Builtwild

Badlands
First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do not want the SASQ package, going with 33 inch with 2 inch suspension increase, so it is easy call for me to go with Bad lands