Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, in my final push to talk myself into a Badlands, my current order is for a Black Diamond Sasquatch. I've always wanted a Jeep Rubicon but now that I am getting the Bronco, just wondering if the Black Diamond Sasquatch will have the same off-road capabilities of the Rubicon?
I haven't done much research on the Rubicon, but was pricing one and see that alot of the features that are on the Badlands were add ons for the Rubicon, (ie front mounted camera). And of course the 35" wheels, larger axle was not available on the Rubicon (that I could see).

Love to hear your thoughts as this will be my first true off-road vehicle.
Sponsored

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Easy call for the - the Ruby is a Jeep . . . I'd take a Base Bronco over that any day of the week and twice more on Sunday . . . but that's just me!

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In terms of offroad capability I think the disconnectable swaybar is going to be the biggest difference particularly if you doing more rock crawling. Rubicon with a solid front axle and disconnectable swaybar will be more capable in a rocky environment. A better comparison therefore would be Badlands vs Rubicon for that environment(as you sort of mentioned). That's said if you are looking at doing more high speed offroading the Bronco seems to be hands down the better option from early reports in either BD or BL configurations.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In most cases the larger tires would perform better than smaller tires with sway bar disconnect. Certain rocky trails ebbing the possible exception. My next guess, in most situations the SQ Bronco be more capable. It is likely down to driver being the biggest variable.

Sponsored

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The rubicon gets the Dana 44 front axle. Anything Sasquatch will make it very comparable. The only hold back is the sway bar disconnect if you don’t get a badlands. I’ll end up just doing a manual disconnect.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both are plenty capable despite what diehard fans of either side will say. So for me it came down to having the “newer” thing.

Also the tech on the Bronco is light years ahead of the Jeep.

If this is your first true off road vehicle, you’ll appreciate the GOAT modes of the Bronco.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think it boils down to rock crawling...If you plan on doing a lot of rock crawling the solid front axle will give you more flex and better articulation vs independent front suspension. The solid front axle will also be more reliable vs the CV axles in the IFS setup for the Bronco and again this will be more important for rock crawling as that will put a lot of stress on drivetrain components. For street driving the Bronco will have a better ride and probably feel more stable. For all other types of offroading the Bronco should do better as well. It really just depends on what are you going to use it for..

OP
OP
JMiles74

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In terms of offroad capability I think the disconnectable swaybar is going to be the biggest difference particularly if you doing more rock crawling. Rubicon with a solid front axle and disconnectable swaybar will be more capable in a rocky environment. A better comparison therefore would be Badlands vs Rubicon for that environment(as you sort of mentioned). That's said if you are looking at doing more high speed offroading the Bronco seems to be hands down the better option from early reports in either BD or BL configurations.
The automatic swaybar disconnect sounds like a must if doing much rock crawling. As a newbie off-road enthusiasts, i don't know how much aggressive rock crawling I'll be doing. I guess its easier to have it and not need it versus needing it and not having it...
Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
JMiles74

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In most cases the larger tires would perform better than smaller tires with sway bar disconnect. Certain rocky trails ebbing the possible exception. My next guess, in most situations the SQ Bronco be more capable. It is likely down to driver being the biggest variable.
Exactly this, I am new to the off-road world so I don't see myself taking my $50k+ toy on anything too aggressive anytime soon. I have a lot to learn before that happens...

Sponsored
OP
OP
JMiles74

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The rubicon gets the Dana 44 front axle. Anything Sasquatch will make it very comparable. The only hold back is the sway bar disconnect if you don’t get a badlands. I’ll end up just doing a manual disconnect.
How hard is to manually disconnect and reconnect? Is it a real pain when off-roading?

OP
OP
JMiles74

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it boils down to rock crawling...If you plan on doing a lot of rock crawling the solid front axle will give you more flex and better articulation vs independent front suspension. The solid front axle will also be more reliable vs the CV axles in the IFS setup for the Bronco and again this will be more important for rock crawling as that will put a lot of stress on drivetrain components. For street driving the Bronco will have a better ride and probably feel more stable. For all other types of offroading the Bronco should do better as well. It really just depends on what are you going to use it for..
Not alot of rock crawling at first, maybe a few years down the road. Mostly fire roads and moderate off road trails. I'd like to take it to White Rim and Alpine Pass in a few years. Would I need swaybar disconnect for those types of trails?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not alot of rock crawling at first, maybe a few years down the road. Mostly fire roads and moderate off road trails. I'd like to take it to White Rim and Alpine Pass in a few years. Would I need swaybar disconnect for those types of trails?
Neither of those would require SBD

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The automatic swaybar disconnect sounds like a must if doing much rock crawling. As a newbie off-road enthusiasts, i don't know how much aggressive rock crawling I'll be doing. I guess its easier to have it and not need it versus needing it and not having it...
Thanks for the response.

A must? No, not hardly. Nice to have for sure if your uses need it, but we've been wheeling for many years without such a device. Plenty of ways around it if you don't get the disco.
Sponsored