Sponsored

Black Lug Nuts - size and style for Bronco?

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I looked at the link provided above for stage 3 motors. The last bullet stated no for factory wheels. So I called the company and they confirmed these are not for factory wheels only aftermarket. He said my best bet is to scuff the original and spray paint them. I can’t imagine that’s the best option. Seems like a pain as far as removing, painting and not being able to use my bronco. Plus I’m guessing the paint would scrap easily.

so my question is, does anyone have know solution for black lugs and locks that would work on the factory Sasquatch wheels?
Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any idea if these will work?

Gorilla 21138BC

They stress that they are for 'Aftermarket wheels only'.

I've used Gorilla Lugs before and really like them. I'd rather a spline drive for all the lugs rather than some Spline/Lock/regular lug combo. This is the only set of 27 I've run across so far.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the Bronco comes with the two piece crap Ford lug nuts, that will be my FIRST mod. A simple flat tire on my 2017 Expedition became a 4hr affair walking back and forth to a parts store just down the road. I bought the Expedition used so at first I thought that the wrong tire iron was in the truck. Nope, just swollen nuts from a TERRIBLE design. Went to parts store and bought a new 4 sided tire iron. After I got the lugs off, then the spare wouldn't fit as the steelie rims didn't work with the factory lugs. Lugs were closed end and too short to tighten on the steelie. Maybe there is a spacer that was supposed to be included, but buying it used, not sure. Back to the parts store for new extended lugs that would work with the steelie spare. MY 2016 fusion also has them and at my last oil change, dealer said those were swollen and needed replaced. I replaced those myself with aftermarket one piece, after dealer said they would replace with the same NEW shitty lugs. I do give some credit to the dealer though, as they agreed the lugs are crap and that I should buy aftermarket. I also have a 2020 Escape with these BS lug nuts, just replaced those before they become a problem. (yeah, I know, a Ford fleet for our party of five, 3 teenager family. Not all Fords though, do also have an 06 BMW 330xi)

I am not one to gripe much on this forum, but I can't believe they are still putting these #$%#$%@ two piece lug nuts on vehicles in 2022. My Bronco is at the dealer, picking it up this week. Guess I need to order some more #$%#$%@ lug nuts.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ahhh, get ready for this. I put spacer on and then new lugs at the same time in my nice heated well lit garage with a large 3 ton jack that I borrowed from a neighbor… no chance I am changing a tire on the side of the road. I can’t even imagine! It was a challenge enough with perfect conditions…. Great off roader but not so great for changing tires.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Search amazon for 12x1.5 factory style lug nuts. They're a 1 piece design, same size as factory, and inexpensive. I've only seen them in 20 pack so you need 2 sets.
Ex:
https://www.amazon.com/Lichamp-Original-Factory-Compatible-Accessories/dp/B099X8NLHD/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?crid=1S196ZXSW1CJ0&keywords=12x1.5+factory+style+lug+nuts&qid=1646788044&sprefix=12x1.5+factory+style+lug+nuts,aps,99&sr=8-14

I got stranded by swollen lug nuts once too so lug nuts are the first thing to change. I went with the ones from Amazon in chrome and they are actually really nice quality. I paid the Ford premium for Fords locks because even though they are McGard, the are a unique size to Ford and match the factory style nuts the best.

OP
OP

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Search amazon for 12x1.5 factory style lug nuts. They're a 1 piece design, same size as factory, and inexpensive. I've only seen them in 20 pack so you need 2 sets.
Ex:
https://www.amazon.com/Lichamp-Original-Factory-Compatible-Accessories/dp/B099X8NLHD/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?crid=1S196ZXSW1CJ0&keywords=12x1.5+factory+style+lug+nuts&qid=1646788044&sprefix=12x1.5+factory+style+lug+nuts,aps,99&sr=8-14

I got stranded by swollen lug nuts once too so lug nuts are the first thing to change. I went with the ones from Amazon in chrome and they are actually really nice quality. I paid the Ford premium for Fords locks because even though they are McGard, the are a unique size to Ford and match the factory style nuts the best.
I did Mcgard. A bit spendy but they seem to work well and it’s a one time purchase. Only did key on 3 wheels and spare. If someone manages to jack my bronco and get off the one tire, so be it…. It sucked getting the bronco up high enough to get the wheel off.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I purchased the Gorilla brand 12x1.5 extended thread lug nuts that are speced for Tototas. The Gorilla are made in Taiwan instead of China like the Amazon ones. I contacted Method and asked about the extended thread, they said they weren’t required on the Bronco but it was fine to run them. I figured more metal and thread engagement can’t be a bad thing.

107ECB19-7A91-479A-B684-015B0399DF5E.jpeg

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I purchased the Gorilla brand 12x1.5 extended thread lug nuts that are speced for Tototas. The Gorilla are made in Taiwan instead of China like the Amazon ones. I contacted Method and asked about the extended thread, they said they weren’t required on the Bronco but it was fine to run them. I figured more metal and thread engagement can’t be a bad thing.

Ford Bronco Black Lug Nuts - size and style for Bronco? 107ECB19-7A91-479A-B684-015B0399DF5E
I'm running short lugs no problem, but extended would have looked better so I might get some in the future.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm running short lugs no problem, but extended would have looked better so I might get some in the future.
The extended thread and the standard acorn have the same profile from the 60 degree acorn surface to the top, so they look the same on the wheel. The extended thread just have another 1/4” of threads that go lower on the stud. I haven’t bolted these on my Bronco yet, I want to ceramic coat the front of the wheels before I have tires mounted. I would ceramic coat the inside too, but I’m concerned that the wheel weights might not stick as well.

Ford Bronco Black Lug Nuts - size and style for Bronco? 88DC1899-1B98-4F63-8932-AF2AB9FF6521

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The extended thread and the standard acorn have the same profile from the 60 degree acorn surface to the top, so they look the same on the wheel. The extended thread just have another 1/4” of threads that go lower on the stud. I haven’t bolted these on my Bronco yet, I want to ceramic coat the front of the wheels before I have tires mounted. I would ceramic coat the inside too, but I’m concerned that the wheel weights might not stick as well.

Ford Bronco Black Lug Nuts - size and style for Bronco? 88DC1899-1B98-4F63-8932-AF2AB9FF6521
I see. I figured they were taller, that's what I'd prefer.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve dealt with 2 sets of swelled lug nuts over the years. F-150 and continental. They use a raw lug nut then press a chrome or black finish cap over it. Every time they get touched that cap gets twisted. Eventually cracks, then water gets in them and splits them when they freeze, then they start picking up sand.
Usually have to beat a socket onto them if it will fit, or cut and pry the beauty cover off. I changed mine out with aluminums first day.
If my memory serves me correctly, my issues didn’t start til after the 3-4 year mark. That was with 6000 mile tire rotations and being in Michigan on a dirt road.

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I myself had an issue with the two piece lug nuts on my f150. A local shop used a hammer to knock the socket on to the swollen lugs and missed multiple times on each wheel, the end result was getting my black factory wheels repaired by the shop... I will definitely be changing the factory lug nuts out asap...

Geronimo

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco Badlands Sad on order!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know if something like this would fit on stock WILDTRAK Wheel?
Screenshot_20230208_065347_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored