First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it! haha. I like how you even took the spare tire off. Thankfully you didn't fully remove the rear cargo door :ROFLMAO:
Hahah I honestly only did that so I could get a deeper angle on spraying from the left side. Didn't want to leave any gaps in the ridges along the top of the head.
Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great!
I am hoping there will be black overlays for the pony much like what I did for my Tacoma badges. Factory chrome ones stayed on and then the aftermarket badge went in right over the top ….

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm sure this will inspire a lot of folks to give this a try. The results are really great. Super good pictures showing the process.

Now that you know you can do it, if you offered it as a service, there'd be a line of Broncos down your street with eager owners willing to throw $$$'s at you.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plastidipped my wheels on my old WRX so I could see how they looked in a darker color. It was a paaaaaain in the ass to clean them, but for emblems and stuff I’d happily do it again. I ended up loving how it looked so eventually I just paid to have them powdercoated.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bwomp91

bwomp91

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plastidipped my wheels on my old WRX so I could see how they looked in a darker color. It was a paaaaaain in the ass to clean them, but for emblems and stuff I’d happily do it again. I ended up loving how it looked so eventually I just paid to have them powdercoated.
Yeah I was pretty surprised to read people do their wheels in Plasti-Dip...only because if one spot gets messed up, you sort of have to peel it off and start with a whole new fresh coat. I'm not really concerned with it for a single, small rear emblem, but even still....redoing it is a pretty simple process. Wheels? My goodness, I can't even imagine haha

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I was pretty surprised to read people do their wheels in Plasti-Dip...only because if one spot gets messed up, you sort of have to peel it off and start with a whole new fresh coat. I'm not really concerned with it for a single, small rear emblem, but even still....redoing it is a pretty simple process. Wheels? My goodness, I can't even imagine haha
I did like 8 coats, lol. They honestly looked great. Plastidip just likes to hold dirt so it made it really hard to clean. Looking at photos, I ran it for 5 months before I paid for powdercoating. Never had any peeling.

Day one with plastidipped wheel:
Ford Bronco Black Plasti-Dip on rear Bronco emblem E7BBE605-E809-414C-B472-1C941D04CACA

Versus day one with powdercoat:
Ford Bronco Black Plasti-Dip on rear Bronco emblem 7BF4EC29-84E7-432B-9006-E1147084D5AD

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can also grab a can of their plasti-dip glossifier and do final coats in that for a semi gloss finish instead of matte. I've dipped a couple set of wheels before. If done right they look good but its a lot of work on wheels.

Ford Bronco Black Plasti-Dip on rear Bronco emblem plastidi

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can also grab a can of their plasti-dip glossifier and do final coats in that for a semi gloss finish instead of matte. I've dipped a couple set of wheels before. If done right they look good but its a lot of work on wheels.
Yea I could never get glossifier to layer evenly and on something large it can be noticeable if it’s not even. At least early on. This was like 7 years ago, right as plastidip was getting popular. It is likely an even better product now.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea I could never get glossifier to layer evenly and on something large it can be noticeable if it’s not even. At least early on. This was like 7 years ago, right as plastidip was getting popular. It is likely an even better product now.
Yea I have a solid Love/Hate relationship with it. I won't ever do wheels or any large items again but smaller stuff the glossifier is pretty easy to work with now.

Sponsored

Jewell76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Allroad, BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree....loving the black bronco badge. Anyone know if Ford is selling the black badges? Like the plasti-dip idea, but don't want to deal with touch ups in the future.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree....loving the black bronco badge. Anyone know if Ford is selling the black badges? Like the plasti-dip idea, but don't want to deal with touch ups in the future.
yup, got mine yesterday. Part number is M2DZ-7842528-B
IMG_20210914_162839.jpg

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
my recommendation is not to do large pieces or multiple things around the car, it'll start looking cheap. my brother did various parts on his Ram that were chrome. it started looking off and cheap. over time it started going greyish and it looks very beat up.
I think for just the rear Bronco emblem it'll probably fine.

1) It's not getting beat up as much as if it were on the front or side of vehicle
2) It's small.

If it starts looking bad it's easy-peasy to just peel it off and respray again. I agree that going overboard with plasti-dip starts becoming a problem cause it'll peel and fade and degrade over time and the more you have of it, the more noticeable it becomes and the more work it is to correct. I see lot's of people plasti-dip wheels (including spokes/rims on dirtbikes) and that starts looking bad very quickly with how beat up wheels get by debris.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well done. I got a bit of a chuckle at the excessive paper/plastic to protect the vehicle - I did the same thing the first time I Plasti-dipped something on a vehicle. Now I just tape off a small area and that's all.

Turned out really well. And honestly, the back is a low-risk for rock chips and stuff peppering it, so it should last quite a while. I did the Chevy bowtie on my Silverado (front and back) and it lasted a long time (I actually sold the truck before I had to re-do either of them). Looking forward to doing this to my Bronco, whenever it arrives.
The reason he /she taped off a big area is that stuff flies all over the place,if yo do this in a garage i would cover car with painters plastic .It not hard to get off but it will be in places far from the job area.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks great!!! Good job !!!!
I've plastidipped a lot of emblems over the years. I got to the point where I'd use a piece of construction paper, moving it to each side before spraying that direction (I curled it up a bit to catch overspray). I immediately outlined the emblem with a tooth pick and then peeled off the excess as soon as it dried (usually a minute).
Sponsored