Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up our Bronco Saturday 11/27 and Sunday 11/28 started swapping out the base 6speaker setup.

-My thoughts on the base 6 speaker setup.
The basic setup is eh at best and it is at its best below volume 10. Granted I did not get too involved in the settings as I knew I was yanking the speakers the next day. Up to 10 the sound was not bad, it of course had little low end with only the 2 6.5 speakers in the kick panel and no sub but honestly was fairly clear.

Once you turned it up to 10+ (1/3 the volume as it goes to 30) the speakers could not keep up and the highs started breaking up and the middle became distorted and "muddy" IMHO. I was not expecting much so I had already bought replacement speakers and parts to install them.

-Materials list.

Front dash and rear pods are JL Audio C1-400x so two sets.
JL Audio C1 400x

Front kick panels JL Audio C1-650x
JL Audio C1 650x

Kicker HS10 Hideaway sub and amp (10in sub and 150w RMS amp).
Kicker HS10

Metra 72-5600 speaker adaptors for the dash and rear pod

Metra 72-5602 speaker adaptors for the kick panel

Crutchfield Bass Blockers 300Hz cut-off Item # 007BB300 bought 2 sets

XTC 6-1/2" Speaker Baffles

XTC 4" Speaker Baffles

Metra 82-5605 Speaker Mounting Brackets

25ft length of additional speaker wire

-Install notes.

4in speakers
As noted elsewhere on the front dash speakers you need to cut the plastic nipples off that align the stock dash speakers.
I tried to use the 4" speaker baffles but there simply is not enough room so I did not end up using them.
Also the Metra 72-5600 adaptors work but are not exactly what to use. They fit and connect but you basically jam the adaptor into the stock plug hole...it will not or ever click as the stock plug is totally different. The friction fit is very tight and if you are worried wrap it in some electrical tape. The adaptor works good enough. Installing the rear pod speakers is the same as the dash other than the pod covers are different of course.

6.5in kick panel speakers
The JL C1650x comes with a speaker bracket but I am fairly sure it will not work. I used the Metra ones and placed the foam baffles in them and cut around the baffles and speaker mounting screw holes so the speaker sam-ich-ed the baffle between the speaker and the mounting brackets.
*note* I cut triangle-ish holes around the base of the baffle to limit the "sealed" resistance on the speaker and provide a hole to run wires. I cut 1/8-1/4in holes around the base circle until I felt the speaker was not restricted when pushing on it and having the other in the uncut baffle.

I used the kick panel removal instructions pdf posted elsewhere on the forums (want to say by flip?) BIG THANKS to all who have posted great information on such a new rig.

The Metra 72-5602 speaker adaptors were perfect.

10in Kicker Hideaway sub.
I cut and soldered wires on the Metra 72-5602 kick panel speakers. There is a loop that comes out of the 5602 pos and neg that jumps to the middle to send power to the dash speakers. I cut this loop portion to run the hi-input to the kicker hideaway.

Running the power wire was the biggest PITFA of the whole project. It is just under dash work messing with passing thru a 14ga flailing piece of wire and dealing with the big rubber grommet.

I ran the speaker wires and power wire (I usually like to run speaker wire and power on opposite sides of the car but really could not) under the plastic rails along the door sill and B pillar. Fishing the speaker wire kind of sucked...and to note I did have to pick up a 25ft length of speaker wire as the provided Kicker harness was not enough.

I measured the under seat area and that was quickly determined a no go. So I mounted the sub box to the side of the rear drivers side of the cargo area. I used a small section of 2x4 to rest the sub box on and align and mount the box.

I ran the sub ground by drilling a hole in the molded crease of the cargo plastic cover and removing the upper trip panel of the cargo area where there are several bolt holes. I happened to have a bolt for this thread.

-pics and images

Dash speaker.jpg

Front speaker.jpg

Sub.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sound improvement is night and day. The factory stereo powers the JL speakers just fine and the 10in sub provides more than enough base. High and mid range sound is clear and crisp. I am really left not wanting more than what I can get out of this setup.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow. That setup looks amazing. Congrats! My comfort of installing stuff like this ends at the speakers, and I love seeing people do the sub themselves. I'm just hoping that I can't replace the six speakers and have it be acceptable overall.

OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The big question…total cost? 🙂
I will have to add up everything to get the actual...but my shoot from the hip est. would be $650-$750.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Swapping the speakers out is not that hard with the connectors. Taking apart the kick panel using the attached pdf instructions really helped and would be the hardest part due to all the parts to take off.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That kicker sub seems like a good solution. Been wondering for a while now what I will do when(if) I get my 2 door lux. Was considering the JL enclosed marine sub, but the cost seems a little off for what you get. And it will be just sitting there in the back like a lump. This may be the ticket until aome sort of stealth permanent sub comes along for a custom install.

Cobra31

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Picked up our Bronco Saturday 11/27 and Sunday 11/28 started swapping out the base 6speaker setup.

-My thoughts on the base 6 speaker setup.
The basic setup is eh at best and it is at its best below volume 10. Granted I did not get too involved in the settings as I knew I was yanking the speakers the next day. Up to 10 the sound was not bad, it of course had little low end with only the 2 6.5 speakers in the kick panel and no sub but honestly was fairly clear.

Once you turned it up to 10+ (1/3 the volume as it goes to 30) the speakers could not keep up and the highs started breaking up and the middle became distorted and "muddy" IMHO. I was not expecting much so I had already bought replacement speakers and parts to install them.

-Materials list.

Front dash and rear pods are JL Audio C1-400x so two sets.
JL Audio C1 400x

Front kick panels JL Audio C1-650x
JL Audio C1 650x

Kicker HS10 Hideaway sub and amp (10in sub and 150w RMS amp).
Kicker HS10

Metra 72-5600 speaker adaptors for the dash and rear pod

Metra 72-5602 speaker adaptors for the kick panel

Crutchfield Bass Blockers 300Hz cut-off Item # 007BB300 bought 2 sets

XTC 6-1/2" Speaker Baffles

XTC 4" Speaker Baffles

Metra 82-5605 Speaker Mounting Brackets

25ft length of additional speaker wire

-Install notes.

4in speakers
As noted elsewhere on the front dash speakers you need to cut the plastic nipples off that align the stock dash speakers.
I tried to use the 4" speaker baffles but there simply is not enough room so I did not end up using them.
Also the Metra 72-5600 adaptors work but are not exactly what to use. They fit and connect but you basically jam the adaptor into the stock plug hole...it will not or ever click as the stock plug is totally different. The friction fit is very tight and if you are worried wrap it in some electrical tape. The adaptor works good enough. Installing the rear pod speakers is the same as the dash other than the pod covers are different of course.

6.5in kick panel speakers
The JL C1650x comes with a speaker bracket but I am fairly sure it will not work. I used the Metra ones and placed the foam baffles in them and cut around the baffles and speaker mounting screw holes so the speaker sam-ich-ed the baffle between the speaker and the mounting brackets.
*note* I cut triangle-ish holes around the base of the baffle to limit the "sealed" resistance on the speaker and provide a hole to run wires. I cut 1/8-1/4in holes around the base circle until I felt the speaker was not restricted when pushing on it and having the other in the uncut baffle.

I used the kick panel removal instructions pdf posted elsewhere on the forums (want to say by flip?) BIG THANKS to all who have posted great information on such a new rig.

The Metra 72-5602 speaker adaptors were perfect.

10in Kicker Hideaway sub.
I cut and soldered wires on the Metra 72-5602 kick panel speakers. There is a loop that comes out of the 5602 pos and neg that jumps to the middle to send power to the dash speakers. I cut this loop portion to run the hi-input to the kicker hideaway.

Running the power wire was the biggest PITFA of the whole project. It is just under dash work messing with passing thru a 14ga flailing piece of wire and dealing with the big rubber grommet.

I ran the speaker wires and power wire (I usually like to run speaker wire and power on opposite sides of the car but really could not) under the plastic rails along the door sill and B pillar. Fishing the speaker wire kind of sucked...and to note I did have to pick up a 25ft length of speaker wire as the provided Kicker harness was not enough.

I measured the under seat area and that was quickly determined a no go. So I mounted the sub box to the side of the rear drivers side of the cargo area. I used a small section of 2x4 to rest the sub box on and align and mount the box.

I ran the sub ground by drilling a hole in the molded crease of the cargo plastic cover and removing the upper trip panel of the cargo area where there are several bolt holes. I happened to have a bolt for this thread.

-pics and images

Ford Bronco Blksn955.o base 6 speaker upgrade Sub

Pretty close to my exact set up (I couldn't get the factory grills on the rear pods to fit with the JLs, had to go with a different speaker)! Just haven't installed the sub yet.

About how long did the sub install take? Is it a 1 beer, or 2 beer project?

OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty close to my exact set up (I couldn't get the factory grills on the rear pods to fit with the JLs, had to go with a different speaker)! Just haven't installed the sub yet.

About how long did the sub install take? Is it a 1 beer, or 2 beer project?
The power wire is a 2 beer. The rest is a relaxed 1 beer.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totaled what receipts/orders I could still get to and the total was probably around $600 all in.

All the JL C1 speakers cost $309.97 from Crutchfield
The Kicker Hideaway 10in sub was $209.95 off Amazon
bass blockers and speaker brackets cost $32.97 (this receipt is only for 1 set of bass blockers, I did not end up using the 2nd set but not on this order) from Crutchfield.
Dash and rear pod harness was $12.85 on Amazon.
Kick panel harness was $12.40

Total for the above is 578.14

What I could not find a receipt for was the 6.5in foam speaker baffles and the 25ft of speaker wire.

The 6.5in baffle is like $9.99 and the speaker wire...no idea...guessing $10.

So figure $20 for the two items I do not have a receipt for (and tax/shipping for those two items) and we end up right around the $600 mark.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a hideaway also and had it mounted just like you did but it rattled like crazy. I moved it the the cargo area floor. Does yours rattle or did you do something to make it not rattle?

OP
OP

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do not hear a rattle, I just used the included hardware that came with the Kicker. It had 4 L-ish brackets that each had 2 bolts holding each bracket on. Then I pre-drilled the mounting screw holes and used the included screws.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do you think the 8” kicker sub would fit under the seat and still keep up with a 10” Im more of a metal head, so “boom” base for me was in Hi-School . (Beastie Boys) im old now!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will have to add up everything to get the actual...but my shoot from the hip est. would be $650-$750.
Are the factory 6.5's two way??
I think I might just go with a mid driver in this location.
Sponsored