First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, but now every time I want to check the time or temp I am having to duck my head so still moving around. I see the need for it but Ford could still stand to shave about half an inch off and all would be good.
Yeah I see your point :\

You also have to look there for the tiny Update Successful (non persistent message) after the OTA update or when an iPhone is connected. There’s a couple other, butI can see where that would be annoying.

But you have to admit that it gives the dash that retro look like the old Broncos :)

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build F939DCBB-C5F9-4EA6-9F85-E5ACD054D0EA

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build C922D4EB-71D5-40D5-ABF0-45C8A31FA234

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build B40118AF-35AF-4DF6-9685-E244C62C4943
Sponsored

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I appreciate your thought, like the starter argument there isn’t anything to see here. Momentarily stopping the motor less than 2 minutes is not going to adversely affect turbo oiling or cooling. Most systems don’t even have over run protection for turbos after you shut the engine off. I know in my audi the fan and water pump would run until the turbo temp hit a certain level then shut off. Most cars don’t even go that far. The point is it’s the year 2021, between advances in fluids and tighter building tolerances these systems (turbos) especially have long shelf lives when maintained to OEM spec. Shutting down a turbo engine for the day or night after driving would have the same affect but worse since you would be heat soaking the engine.
To Bronco Cat’s point and a few searches later for myself, it looks like Europe and Asia has required this for years, so Ford just used some of Mazda’s i-Start by manipulating the shutdown firing and also re-invented the starter (which looks to have been unchanged since Cadillac’s implementation of the auto start in 1918).

Or just copied what their European counterparts were already doing. Lol.

I swear that Ford had an article or video intricately explaining the auto start stop process, and it showed the cylinders slow to a perfect stop point, and then re-ignite would occur by shooting the fuel via direct injection + spark and how it really didn’t use the starter torque as often to restart the motor. It was computer animated video or model and showed the explosions showed down to the individual cylinder cycles, and the engine looked like a wireframe model on dark background. Again, could have been video or a multi page article with illustrations. I know because my friend called me explain it all to me, and I was like “wow, that’s cooler than I though auto start stop was”, and I went a read/watched the article/video too.

Does anyone remember that video or write up? I can’t find it anywhere.

This is the information that I did find available about auto startstop. I’m going to assume Ford and Mazda are similar as they worked together until 2015.

I did learn that new the newer engines are being built to last better with 250,000 to 300,000 start stop cycle requirement vs the older engines which were getting aged at 100,000 cycles. I know that at age 14, I found it fascinating that a mechanical hard drive had known start/stop limitations 100,000 or so at the time. But yet the actual on full time was less wear and tear on the drive, allowing it to last longer if left on constantly vs turning the computer on each time you to use it.

Interesting to know that new engines are built to restart 41 times per day on average over a 20 year lifetime. Old engines were built for many fewer engine cycles which is why so many are concerned.

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build CF1EA65A-5D90-42A7-953E-D7D46AC690DB

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build 0D9DC107-C6D0-4B10-90E8-5D1AE4757D9D

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build BBBB8DDD-EF7B-4B0A-B7F9-73C5CD9E367A

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really like the MGV. The headrests are not adjustable but I have never found a need for adjusting headrests.

Manual = self-sport

1. Best buying experience I have had. Treated me very well. I helped negotiate the TX group buy last fall. Also helped my sister buy her Escape through them in January.
Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build BBBB8DDD-EF7B-4B0A-B7F9-73C5CD9E367A

I really haven't taken many but here are a few more.

Wait a minute, so the manual is made in the USA? I thought I was supposed to be China? Those are great news!!!

OP
OP
BlueBronco

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To Bronco Cat’s point and a few searches later for myself...
Okay, lets maybe start a new thread debating the pros, cons and details of auto start/stop instead of hijacking this one with posts longer than the original.

Sponsored

cparksjr

Badlands
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Ford F250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did something similar to you, with the two early orders I had built out what I thought we get made, and then what I wanted.

My first build arrived last week and we love it. Badlands 4 door soft top 2.3 Lux package. Second does not have a VIN yet Wildtrak 2 door hard top 2.7.

cparksjr

Badlands
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2020 Ford F250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To Bronco Cat’s point and a few searches later for myself, it looks like Europe and Asia has required this for years, so Ford just used some of Mazda’s i-Start by manipulating the shutdown firing and also re-invented the starter (which looks to have been unchanged since Cadillac’s implementation of the auto start in 1918).

Or just copied what their European counterparts were already doing. Lol.

I swear that Ford had an article or video intricately explaining the auto start stop process, and it showed the cylinders slow to a perfect stop point, and then re-ignite would occur by shooting the fuel via direct injection + spark and how it really didn’t use the starter torque as often to restart the motor. It was computer animated video or model and showed the explosions showed down to the individual cylinder cycles, and the engine looked like a wireframe model on dark background. Again, could have been video or a multi page article with illustrations. I know because my friend called me explain it all to me, and I was like “wow, that’s cooler than I though auto start stop was”, and I went a read/watched the article/video too.

Does anyone remember that video or write up? I can’t find it anywhere.

This is the information that I did find available about auto startstop. I’m going to assume Ford and Mazda are similar as they worked together until 2015.

I did learn that new the newer engines are being built to last better with 250,000 to 300,000 start stop cycle requirement vs the older engines which were getting aged at 100,000 cycles. I know that at age 14, I found it fascinating that a mechanical hard drive had known start/stop limitations 100,000 or so at the time. But yet the actual on full time was less wear and tear on the drive, allowing it to last longer if left on constantly vs turning the computer on each time you to use it.

Interesting to know that new engines are built to restart 41 times per day on average over a 20 year lifetime. Old engines were built for many fewer engine cycles which is why so many are concerned.

Even before all of this they were working on a starterless engine following the same concept, but could not get it to work reliably in different climates, so it was eventually dropped. The concept was a good idea, but the evolved into this I believe.

Skeech

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You said Xr4Ti! I wonder how many folks even know what that is on here. We had one in the family ourselves!
That car was ahead of its time! I never owned one but loved the idea of it.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Solid review, thanks for sharing. It seems like people are looking for every excuse to cancel their reservation with the "ZOMG" complaints you mentioned. I do find the rear bumper lip not holding your drink complaint of yours very silly. :ROFLMAO:

We should petition Ford to put cup holder cutouts into the front/rear bumpers AND fenders for tailgating.

OP
OP
BlueBronco

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have reached out to Nitto and waiting to hear back on if they will (soon) be offering the Recon Grapplers in 17’s and if not I will probably be ordering some Ridge Grapplers.
Well, it appears that 37's are in short supply. @Discount Tire (well, my local DFW store) couldn't find a set of 5 Ridge Grapplers anywhere in the country and Nitto confirmed they are out of stock until sometime in the fall. Now I will need to convince the wife to let me order some 35's in the meantime and swap them on to her Bronco when it shows up. I am thinking G2 Terra Grapplers as hers will see way more street than trail. And by the time hers does finally arrive, hopefully, Nitto should have the Recon Grapplers out on the market in a 17" 37.

Last edited:

Sponsored

David Young

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F150. 2011 Mustang. 2014 Edge Limited
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I tried to have my wife to order a Bronco. We (she) has a 2014 Ford Edge Limited. The Edge is to be finished for 2023. :( She said 'NO'. Too loud and too much like a Jeep. She doesn't like an un refined cabin. So the Bronco is out of the picture :(. I guess she will go with the Escape for her next car :(.

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You really got me thinking. I also have a dream build (BL - CG - 4Dr - MIC - Squach - 2.7 - Lux - Leather - Tow). My reservation date wasn't until Aug 4. With this build and that date. I'm going to be waiting a LONG time. I'm considering pushing my dream build out a few years until things have sorted out and the Mod top is available. That would be a start from scratch reservation, which gives me flexibility with my Aug 4 reservation to change to a non-constrained set of options. My first question to this group is did I miss my chance to make the change relevant (April cutoff?). If not, the second question is does this build avoid the primary known constraints: BD - IS - 4Dr - Soft - 2.3 - Mid - MGV - Tow?
Who knows… there seems to be a lot of random stuff going out. The process seems to be more like a roulette wheel than anything else. We hear about constraints, but then you see a random new delivery with MIC, or with Tow, or with SAS. 2 door seems to be the mythical unicorn right now. Just put a brand new order in with that, you might get it!

JeR2D2

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Blue Bronco have you taken the too all the way off yet? And if so would love to see pics!

OP
OP
BlueBronco

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Blue Bronco have you taken the too all the way off yet? And if so would love to see pics!
First, no, I have not taken the top all the way off. Might have to do that this weekend.
Second, not sure how I feel about you using my BL as your avatar.

75c08dfa-4703-4ec9-aa60-fe295648af59_text.gif

JeR2D2

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, no, I have not taken the top all the way off. Might have to do that this weekend.
Second, not sure how I feel about you using my BL as your avatar.

Ford Bronco BlueBroncos Review of the Accidental Order “get-it-now” Cactus Gray Build 75c08dfa-4703-4ec9-aa60-fe295648af59_text
Sorry!!!! I meant no harm, just was excited to see someone with my exact build and thought I’d use it while I wait? I can change it if it bothers you?
Sponsored