Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my Bodyguard front winch bumper installed today. Overall, I think it looks good. A few adjustments to make to get it perfect. Also waiting for an upgraded ACC bracket so I had to make my own.

One word for anyone replacing their bumpers. Plan on days to get the job done. There are so many small jobs that have to be done. From the ACC system and wiring, the front parking sensors and the grill/camera. It all takes time. The Modular Bumper took 2 hours to disassemble to get all the parking sensors out. Just be patient if you take the job on.

Ford Bronco Bodyguard Front Bumper Installed 20211121_155002

Ford Bronco Bodyguard Front Bumper Installed 20211127_155031
Sponsored

Last edited:

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my Bodyguard front winch bumper installed today. Overall, I think it looks good. A few adjustments to make to get it perfect. Also waiting for an upgraded ACC bracket so I had to make my own.

One word for anyone replacing their bumpers. Plan on days to get the job done. There are so many small jobs that have to be done. From the ACC system and wiring, the front parking sensors and the grill/camera. It all takes time. The Modular Bumper took 2 hours to disassemble to get all the parking sensors out. Just be patient if you take the job on.

Ford Bronco Bodyguard Front Bumper Installed 20211127_155031
Hi, Looks great. I think your the first Post I have seen on this swap. Would love to hear more on the details, especially when it comes to dealing with the sensors. For example, will the ACC still function as normal after moving it or do you have to get it recalibrated at the dealer (I heard that from somewhere).

Thanks,

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looks pretty good. Would you be able to provide some more pics from the side and maybe top down.

Also a view of what the front camera sees with that bumper.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How bout a picture of the interior screen with the camera activated please :)

OP
OP

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll do those pics tomorrow.

The ACC currently works with my homemade bracket as is. I did not run a recalibration yet and won't unless I get an error message. Bodyguard is working on a different bracket to inset in bumper. I may get a ADD relocation bracket that puts it behind the grill. There is plenty of wire one you redo the Tesa Tape.

The main thing on the sensors is the disassembly. That took the longest. Reinstall was per Bodyguard...they've done a lot of bumpers for Fords so it's the same as their other units.

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll do those pics tomorrow.

The ACC currently works with my homemade bracket as is. I did not run a recalibration yet and won't unless I get an error message. Bodyguard is working on a different bracket to inset in bumper. I may get a ADD relocation bracket that puts it behind the grill. There is plenty of wire one you redo the Tesa Tape.

The main thing on the sensors is the disassembly. That took the longest. Reinstall was per Bodyguard...they've done a lot of bumpers for Fords so it's the same as their other units.
Ok, good to know. On the ACC, I would think the most important thing would be to keep its signal perpendicular to the Bronco. If not, then it might detect obstacles, cars, etc. outside of your lane as an impact.... and who knows what the computer may do with that. Just curious if you took some extra steps to square it up. I only ask because I am awful at woodworking, which is partly due to my lack of measurement skills!

As far as recalibration, I wouldn't even know who could do that as I doubt Ford would.

Regardless, your post is very helpful to me as I will be faced with a similar situation soon!

OP
OP

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can recalibrate via Forscan, though I haven't tried yet. I only made sure the ACC face is perpendicular to the ground on a level surface. Other than that, I relied on the Ford bracket to keep it square to the vehicle. If I have to use this more than a couple weeks I'll redo it and move it closer to the grill.

I found this bracket today that looks promising since it to uses the factory adjustable bracket. Might buy this regardless.

https://www.bayareametalfab.com/2021-BRONCO-ACC-relocation-bracket_p_170.html

OP
OP

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will note, it will be interesting to see how any behind the grill solution actually mounts considering the active grill shutters that essentially cover the entire area. Maybe you have to trim those.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Front Camera View. You can see a part of my custom ACC bracket that will eventually go away. Sorry for the dirty rear camera.

Ford Bronco Bodyguard Front Bumper Installed 20211124_170655

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Front Camera View. You can see a part of my custom ACC bracket that will eventually go away. Sorry for the dirty rear camera.

Ford Bronco Bodyguard Front Bumper Installed 20211124_170655
Not bad at all. Thanks for the proof as that is obviously very acceptable!

Sponsored

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great. I’m considering the bumper without the light bar.
Do you know if their bumpers change the approach angle or clearance va stock bumper? The winch looks a bit low. But could just be an optical illusion

Mdh186

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The camera view looks way better than I would’ve thought possible.

Unrestricted front view in Baja mode on big screen as well - except for the temporary bracket of course?

Thanks for the pics!

OP
OP

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great. I’m considering the bumper without the light bar.
Do you know if their bumpers change the approach angle or clearance va stock bumper? The winch looks a bit low. But could just be an optical illusion
Definitely changes it, but not too bad

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice looking setup. Some of the winch bumpers i've seen stick out so much that it looks like you could drive bumper first straight into a hill if you're not careful lol.

This looks to be about as small as you can get and still get that nice winch capability. The only thing I would change is to replace the bull bar with a fullsize brush guard.
Sponsored