First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice video. Badlands is capable, but the video made me appreciate how much Sasquatch adds when it comes to going over rocks. Nothing can substitute for ground clearance! I think it's fair to say that any lower trim w/Squatch would gobble up those lines better than a BL on 33s. Just sayin.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice video. Badlands is capable, but the video made me appreciate how much Sasquatch adds when it comes to going over rocks. Nothing can substitute for ground clearance! I think it's fair to say that any lower trim w/Squatch would gobble up those lines better than a BL on 33s. Just sayin.
You are probably right in general, but I really did use up every last bit of wheel travel. With squatch pkg it would have been picking up a tire slightly more often. With lockers its not a big deal, but I liked how stable this was. Now the real goal is to just throw 35's on the Badlands anyway lol

Without badlands I would absolutely recommend you disconnect the sway bar manually before doing anything like this.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clideo.com? Oof, that's some unfortunate branding... 🤔

Great vid though! 👍
I tried splicing it together manually on my computer but it couldn't reconcile MP4 files from different phones, so I just did it online, and free generally means watermark...

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome video. I was in Moab last year and I rode the Whole Enchilada however I bailed at Porcupine Rim Trail so it's technically not the Whole Enchilada? Anyway I will go back in 22 and at least ride Porcupine Rim Trail but I need to know are there any sections of that trail you can lose your life or rather fall to your death if you make 1 mistake? My wife won't do it if there are.

PatioDaddio78

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L with manual. used crawler gear on all the hardcore obstacles, some of the tamer ones I used 1 or 2. All in low range of course.
I've got the same setup (Badlands 2.3L manual) but haven't been brave enough to take my bronco out in the wild yet. How do you feel the manual did? Any fear of burning it up? I've taken my 15 year old out a few times and he has been pretty tough on it...probably can take the abuse. I learned manual trans on a 1930s farm tractor and he's learning on a bronco!

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did many of those trails last year and look forward to doing them next year. I think the two door may not scrape as much?? Anyhoo great vid and looked like an awesome time! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for the thread. Really enjoyed your write up and pics/video. Looks like you guys had a fantastic time!

Have you driven the slick rock before? My first time to Moab was earlier in the year and we had to rent a Jeep (no Bronco yet!) And it was tons of fun.

Your BL is doing great on those obstacles, if we had to believe everything we read on these forums then it would be impossible for you to have done anything you posted.... Because driving a manual offroad is impossible (just like the lads had to push the jeeps everywhere in WWII). :LOL:

Well for you specifically the extra ground clearance would be mandatory to hard park your rig at the Applebee's.

You have given a massive amount of credit to the lift yet volunteered to ignore the fact Ford put the cheapest and worst performing tires possible on Sasquatch package. The K02's that come stock on Badlands are actual off road tires with a drastically higher envelope. People actually buy K02's to put on their rigs to drive off road. Applebee's allows sasquatch equipped Broncos just for the look and so families will come in.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loved it. Those tires and the gearing were perfect for the trails. Sometimes extra height, a couple of inches or even feet, makes all the difference between being a rockstar or a total failure. The manual transmission Badlands with the KO2s, however, is the right tool for getting away from the parking lots and hitting the trails.

DieselSmack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We took our bone stock manual badlands bronco through the Poison Spider-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim trails!

Some Background: My wife and I took a trip out to Moab to visit her sister while she is working in Utah. This was a very loosely planned trip with only some details planned ahead of time. For example we knew we wanted to go mountain biking, and that we wanted to try at least one of the off-road trails there, as well as explore the backcountry and do some hiking. We left Michigan after work on Wednesday (11/10/21) and were in Moab Friday afternoon. We kicked things off with an awesome bike ride on the Porcupine Rim Trail. This is one of the few double black diamonds I have been on where it really felt earned. Most of the trail was reasonable but some sections felt like pro lines.

Saturday we decided to try a dedicated off-road trail. I have some off-road experience in Michigan, between a few trips to Bundy hill and Holly Oaks and a lot of time spent in the UP, but nothing quite like Moab and certainly not much of anything with our Bronco yet. Before our trip I had started looking up the trail rating system which lays out the requirements and recommendations for each trail quite nicely and decided that I would be happy with level 5 or 6 trails. I figured a 7 might be possible (not recommended without 35's or lockers) but wanted to play it safe. Well, I changed my mind and that morning I decided I wanted to try Poison Spider (7) which feeds out to Golden Spike (7) and eventually Gold Bar Rim (6). There are even some optional level 8 trails within that trail system but I decided to count my blessings.

The Bronco Killed it! My primary concern was body damage or a potential rollover, neither of which happened. I had a tow strap and camping gear for 4 so I wasn’t too concerned about getting "stuck" as there would be plenty of built rigs on the trail to help out if needed. I am happy to report that no assistance was necessary. Since we started a bit late in the morning, 10am, we ended up camping out on the trail. This may be frowned upon but its BLM land and the trails took much longer than I anticipated, and sunset was only 5:30.

I often went out of my way to take the more challenging and fun line so long as it was still roughly a "level 7". There are many optional lines on this trail that are level 8 or higher for more advanced rigs to fool around on. I was very fortunate to have my sister in law, her boyfriend and my wife to spot me on the trail. It would have been much more challenging and risky to go it alone.

There was lots of undercarriage contact on this trail but nothing truly cringeworthy in my opinion. Skid plates are meant to be used after all! As you can see we popped our license plate holder loose, but nothing i'm too concerned about. I did some obstacles without lockers, but the hardest ones required at least one, if not both. I generally used both if I needed them at all. 35's would have helped but the 33's were fine and I loved having every bit of flex and wheel travel available from the standard Badlands. I also aired down to 20 PSI. This made a huge difference, I would almost say that it is completely necessary, at least for smaller tires.

In this post are a number of photos from our ride. I also crudely spliced together a bunch of MP4 files from our phones and uploaded them to YouTube. I am not a video editor so apologies for the low quality, though to be fair we were there first and foremost to have a good time, not to film a documentary or an advertisement.

As you can see in the video, we didn't film every single obstacle, and a couple times the video cuts before the obstacle was completed. In the case where I was high centered. I just locked the differentials and Jed hopped on the bumper and that's all she needed to pull herself free.

1638220153405.png

This was the first real obstacle on the trail (actually to the right of the frame out of view), right after the first couple switchbacks. I was very nervous and almost turned back. However, getting through this gave me the confidence to push forward to much harder obstacles that made this one seem rather tame.

1638220275322.png
1638220336256.png

The middle and upper sections of the "waterfall" obstacles

1638220372084.png

The "wedgy", this is actually pretty easy, but high risk of body damage if you get careless.

1638220464680.png

I just thought this was a really cool looking part of the trail.

1638220508267.png

Love this shot at almost full droop.

1638220784945.png

As seen in the video, this is what I thought was the trickiest drop/ledge. Luckily I only had to go down.

1638220684881.png

Fresh coffee in the morning!

1638231660828.png

1mph obviously includes the overnight. But we certainly weren't moving crazy fast.

Heres the video!
Dude.... You guys are badass for wheeling your Bronco like it was designed!! Hopefully someone (Mike Levine) sees this and hooks you up! Nicely done, some of those challenges would've scared me away in a brand new rig.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got the same setup (Badlands 2.3L manual) but haven't been brave enough to take my bronco out in the wild yet. How do you feel the manual did? Any fear of burning it up? I've taken my 15 year old out a few times and he has been pretty tough on it...probably can take the abuse. I learned manual trans on a 1930s farm tractor and he's learning on a bronco!
No issues with burning it up. The crawler gear is so low you just let it engage and control your speed with gas or brake. If you need to stop then just hit the clutch.
Sponsored