Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s been stated that big Bronco will include boron steel for strength in at least the roll bar.

Here is a link to its performance in the Bronco Sport under rescue extrication. The rigidity is impressive:

http://www.boronextrication.com/2021/05/30/2021-ford-bronco-sport-body-structure/

A-pillar did not deform or crush under the jaws… ultimately gave way while retaining its shape:

Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life 1622463382673

Rocker Panels also include boron steel, and they didn’t even deform or crease under the ram:

Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life 1622463445401

Admin updated with Bronco materials / construction info from:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...erials-construction-on-2021-ford-bronco.3298/ (for anyone who hasn't seen it).

Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life onco-aluminum-steel-body-panels-parts-material-

Aluminum:
Aluminum Hood
Aluminum Front fenders
Aluminum Rear fenders
Aluminum Doors
Aluminum Tailgate

Steel:
Steel Frame
Steel Floor
Boron Steel sport tubes / cage
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
ZackDanger

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fracturing before bending might mean failure or damage is more difficult to detect after an accident. And probably more expensive to repair if it is that resistant to reshaping.
Excellent point.

Conversely these parts might remain intact and hold their shape long past when another part would be damaged beyond repair…

I was thinking that if the rockers on the big bronco are also boron, and they are performing well, that might be why ford felt comfortable attaching the sliders to them.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
ZackDanger

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Conversely these parts might remain intact and hold their shape long past when another part would be damaged beyond repair…
Much the same can be said for the aluminum panels. More resistant to initial deformation but they'll probably fracture when they do fail, driving repairs toward replacement as the less expensive option.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent point.

I was thinking that if the rockers on the big bronco are also boron, and they are performing well, that might be why ford felt comfortable attaching the sliders to them.
Interesting thought. I did some digging and located the following information about the Fortiform 980 GI grade steel. Note the rocker panels highlighted in the Applications diagram at the bottom.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/10/f...as-sole-gen-3-steel-supplier-for-2021-bronco/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rld-to-use-fortiform-980-gi-grade-steel.6706/

https://automotive.arcelormittal.com/products/flat/third_gen_AHSS/fortiform

Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life F471EBC3-E493-4E90-AD50-45CBD0550565

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy guacamole!

I obviously missed that thread, but in my defense I only searched for existing threads with the words “extrication” “cut” “roll cage” “jaws of life” and “boron” which is why that one slipped through.

;)
It’s a setup Zach. I looked for 15 minutes to make sure there wasn’t a thread on the Radio Antennas. Couldn’t find one, posted and within 5 minutes I had a forum full of people yelling at me to pay attention and quit recycling news with links to the existing thread from five days earlier.

A few hours later they were combined and highlighted.

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Holy guacamole!

I obviously missed that thread, but in my defense I only searched for existing threads with the words “extrication” “cut” “roll cage” “jaws of life” and “boron” which is why that one slipped through.

;)

No big deal

Sponsored

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fracturing before bending might mean failure or damage is more difficult to detect after an accident. And probably more expensive to repair if it is that resistant to reshaping.
If it didn’t bend it would fracture in an accident. The ability to bend and return to the original state is a function of the steel being able to transfer kinetic energy throughout the vehicles safety structure and absorb the energy into the vehicle and not transfer it into the passenger compartment. Cars in the 50s/60s/70s were designed so the vehicle would survive the accident. Vehicles today are designed so the passenger survives the accident.

Same principle applies to bridges. If they were rigid they would snap in 2 the moment they were out under load.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it didn’t bend it would fracture in an accident. The ability to bend and return to the original state is a function of the steel being able to transfer kinetic energy throughout the vehicles safety structure and absorb the energy into the vehicle and not transfer it into the passenger compartment. Cars in the 50s/60s/70s were designed so the vehicle would survive the accident. Vehicles today are designed so the passenger survives the accident.

Same principle applies to bridges. If they were rigid they would snap in 2 the moment they were out under load.
Any chance you're available to give a training session down here in Arkansas :LOL:
Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life bridge crack

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any chance you're available to give a training session down here in Arkansas :LOL:
Ford Bronco Boron Steel Performance in Bronco Sport Under Jaws of Life bridge crack
Unfortunately I just stopped traveling to AR for work.
Sponsored