Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After many canceled vacations we decided to pick up a pop up camper, specifically a Rockwood Freedom 2716F. I am worried that the Bronco will not make the best tow vehicle and may need to keep my F150.

Overall the camper will come in right under the bronco's tow rating which shouldn't be much of an issue. My worry is more about space we have 3 kids and two dogs. The truck seems just right for this application. Maybe I could keep both the truck and the Bronco however I am not sure two truck like vehicles is necessary? I would rather have one off road vehicle and a sports car if I were to have two cars.

What do you guys think? Do you think I could make the most of the rear cargo area and possibly a roof top basket of sorts to make up for not having a truck bed? It sure would be fun getting camp set up and exploring the area in the Bronco.

IMG_20201023_174322.jpg

IMG_20201024_080606.jpg
Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After many canceled vacations we decided to pick up a pop up camper, specifically a Rockwood Freedom 2716F. I am worried that the Bronco will not make the best tow vehicle and may need to keep my F150.

Overall the camper will come in right under the bronco's tow rating which shouldn't be much of an issue. My worry is more about space we have 3 kids and two dogs. The truck seems just right for this application. Maybe I could keep both the truck and the Bronco however I am not sure two truck like vehicles is necessary? I would rather have one off road vehicle and a sports car if I were to have two cars.

What do you guys think? Do you think I could make the most of the rear cargo area and possibly a roof top basket of sorts to make up for not having a truck bed? It sure would be fun getting camp set up and exploring the area in the Bronco.

IMG_20201023_174322.jpg

IMG_20201024_080606.jpg
That’s a big tent trailer. Keep and use the F-150 as a tow vehicle if the weight of that rig is 3,000+ lbs

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a monster popup. Never seen one like that. Congrats and have fun.

Just because, what's the weight on that trailer?

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a monster popup. Never seen one like that. Congrats and have fun.

Just because, what's the weight on that trailer?

The trailer is 2800 pounds dry weight. My truck has the 2.7L and towed it well. With the lift and 35s I averaged 13.7 mpg at an average speed of around 65.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife's idea of camping is a hotel, once she saw how spacious this was along with the shower and emergency bathroom she agreed to giving camping a try. I wanted something under 3,500 pounds when loaded and small enough to fit in the garage to avoid additional storage cost.

I decided to park it in my single garage stall that has an 8 foot door. With the awning and random handles there is 4 inches to spare. I am sure my neighbors are enjoying the entertainment.

IMG_20201017_134047.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just me and the wife. We tent camp all the time. The Wrangler is the same dimensions as the Bronco. We stuff every single inch of space with gear for a couple days. No way the Bronco is going to have room for your family gear. Hope you can put stuff in the pop up while collapsed. Trucks rule in this instance.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just me and the wife. We tent camp all the time. The Wrangler is the same dimensions as the Bronco. We stuff every single inch of space with gear for a couple days. No way the Bronco is going to have room for your family gear. Hope you can put stuff in the pop up while collapsed. Trucks rule in this instance.
Thank you, this is what I was afraid of. Even though our packing list looks small it filled my truck bed quickly. I actually caught myself thinking how nice a bed cap would be and that is when the panic set in. Lol

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
113 square feet of storage in a 4 door Bronco.
You could always pull out your gear and put it down on the garage floor and see what doesnt fit.
Ford Bronco Bought a pop up to start exploring 5B3EBC97-F6AC-4704-871D-FAA63A7D617A

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are going to be at the weight limit just with people. No room for stuff, no room for the trailer tongue weight. Since you have kids no way I would tow that big of a trailer with kids in the car. Remember no matter what you tow with, put weight in the front of the trailer (not rear) to reduce sway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are going to be at the weight limit just with people. No room for stuff, no room for the trailer tongue weight. Since you have kids no way I would tow that big of a trailer with kids in the car. Remember no matter what you tow with, put weight in the front of the trailer (not rear) to reduce sway.
I do not think I ever realized that the tow rating included passengers inside of the tow vehicle. I was under the impression that I needed to keep the tongue weight and the total loaded weight of the trailer under the specified limits.

I guess that means I will have a decision to make in June.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I do not think I ever realized that the tow rating included passengers inside of the tow vehicle. I was under the impression that I needed to keep the tongue weight and the total loaded weight of the trailer under the specified limits.

I guess that means I will have a decision to make in June.
No, you are correct. But 15% of a 3000 pound trailer, 450 pounds. Are you camping out? So you might want to bring water out? You, your wife, a few kids, food, clothes, stuff??? With a 4 door you are awfully close to the limit. But also the wheel base is very small, and that trailer is pretty big. Trailer sway flips pickups all the time. The Bronco just seems a lot shorter.

OP
OP
BroncoTPA

BroncoTPA

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looks like a recent accident in Central Florida is an example of a trailer overpowering a tow vehicle.

Based on this and everyone's feedback here, it seems like I may have to give up on my day 1 reservation that was 16 years in the making for me.

Screenshot_20201106-184626__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-184631__01.jpg

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks like a recent accident in Central Florida is an example of a trailer overpowering a tow vehicle.

Based on this and everyone's feedback here, it seems like I may have to give up on my day 1 reservation that was 16 years in the making for me.

Ford Bronco Bought a pop up to start exploring Screenshot_20201106-184631__01

Ford Bronco Bought a pop up to start exploring Screenshot_20201106-184631__01
If you've ever towed and had the tail wag the dog you start thinking about pushing the capacities.

I hauled a load with my Ranger just below capacity and almost lost control on the Interstate. It was a short trip....figured it would be ok. Kept under the speed limit but the trailer started swinging and it was all I could do to keep things under control. Very scary. Not worth it to push the limits.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have 5 people in your family, however the Bronco has 4 seat belts ...I believe.
Sponsored