First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m going to need some snow tires on my FE where I am located. More snow than ice. Was hoping to not have to drop $1800 on a set. Are there options other than 35s that won’t mess anything up with speedometer calibration and what not? I normally run Blizzaks on my current car and my wife’s.
Sponsored

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Snow tires are so key if you drive in the snow often. Big Bear and Tahoe have quite a few R3 days when you have to have chains even with 4wd and snow tires. I prefer cables over actual chains for SUV's,. Vulcan Tires has a lot online and decent prices.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer to run something narrower when putting on dedicated snow tires. I would have suggested something like 285/75/17, which is 34x11.2, so close to the same height and still looks decent.

What does 33 or 32 have to do with width??? Height has nothing to do with width, I had 33x12.5 on my Wrangler, same exact width as SAS tires.
You have a good point. Width has an affect on traction and it is not that common to find narrow tires that are tall. To each their own though.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Snow tires are so key if you drive in the snow often. Big Bear and Tahoe have quite a few R3 days when you have to have chains even with 4wd and snow tires. I prefer cables over actual chains for SUV's,. Vulcan Tires has a lot online and decent prices.
This always makes me chuckle, we have zero chain laws. Some signs that suggest 4x4/snow tires on steep/low maintenance roads, but otherwise run what you brung and good luck 😂.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any ADM issues?

Sponsored
OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My main issue with wide snow tires on a "small" vehicle is they tend to follow grooves in the snow much more aggressively then narrow tires. When I'm on the highway doing 65 and the right tire grabs a pile of snow from a forward vehicle that changed lanes, the vehicle pulls strongly to the right and if conditions are extreme enough can cause the vehicle to loose enough traction to spin out off the road. It depends on how bad the roads are, are they evenly packed, or is one side of the vehicle constantly grabbing at mounds of snow.

It's alot easier to wrestle a vehicle back in line with skinny tires, even when it's just a big puddle of water on the highway. Wide tires are much harder to control in adverse conditions.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I'm 99% Kendall isn't going to match 2K under Invoice, so I haven't made plans to switch. Interested to see your experiences up here, as well as mods if you start a build thread.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My main issue with wide snow tires on a "small" vehicle is they tend to follow grooves in the snow much more aggressively then narrow tires. When I'm on the highway doing 65 and the right tire grabs a pile of snow from a forward vehicle that changed lanes, the vehicle pulls strongly to the right and if conditions are extreme enough can cause the vehicle to loose enough traction to spin out off the road. It depends on how bad the roads are, are they evenly packed, or is one side of the vehicle constantly grabbing at mounds of snow.

It's alot easier to wrestle a vehicle back in line with skinny tires, even when it's just a big puddle of water on the highway. Wide tires are much harder to control in adverse conditions.
Totally understand the thought process, our roads are naturally very rutted from the studded snow tire use anyhow, so ruts are a year round issue.

I used to run 20x9" wheels on my Chrysler 300c, the car is wide and with the wider wheels didn't fit into the ruts very well so you were constantly fighting it. I finally sold them and went back to a factory width wheel in summer.

I haven't had any issues with the wider tires causing any more grabbing/fighting of the wheel than stock sizes. I think this really depends on your driving style, weather conditions and the vehicles you're used to.

20210312_093149.jpg

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, I'm 99% Kendall isn't going to match 2K under Invoice, so I haven't made plans to switch. Interested to see your experiences up here, as well as mods if you start a build thread.
I would agree with you. Although after shipping what's the total cost savings?

I do plan so start a build once it arrives, a few mods planned but nothing super wild and crazy.

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would agree with you. Although after shipping what's the total cost savings?

I do plan so start a build once it arrives, a few mods planned but nothing super wild and crazy.
Hah, I ain't shipping it, that's an excuse for a killer road trip. Might be picking up an ultralight toy hauler on that trip to bring back as well.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This always makes me chuckle, we have zero chain laws. Some signs that suggest 4x4/snow tires on steep/low maintenance roads, but otherwise run what you brung and good luck 😂.
We have so many dumb drives that have never driven in snow and have no clue when driving in our local mountains. I can be comical.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heck of a deal. They look brand new, basically.

I have a USAF buddy who is about to be stationed in AK. He's from Texas, so this is gonna be hilarious. Do you think the grizzly will get him first or the seasonal depression?
I'd bet on the cold it's only in the 50-60's here today and I'm already walking my dog in a hoodie. :ROFLMAO:

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So now that my Bronco is set to arrive by the middle of next month I had to get serious about buying a few things. Most importantly for a daily driver in AK was snow tires. The only real option for my SAS was Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 315/70R17. New I looking at over $1,800. I found these like new used set on marketplace for $1k. They are all 95%+ and in great shape. So at least I'll be ready for the slick roads as soon as I drive it off the lot. It's becoming real now!

Ford Bronco Bought snow tires - Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 315/70R17 20210312_093149

Ford Bronco Bought snow tires - Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 315/70R17 20210312_093149

Nokian tyres in general bad ass!!! The Finns, they know snow.

Used to run Nokian WRs on my Subbie WRX STi and the thing was like a mountain goat in the snow.

Excellent deal as well.

If the Bronco is anything like the STi in the snow look forward to some 4 wheel drifting action!!
Sponsored