ANDRƉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ƉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So now that my Bronco is set to arrive by the middle of next month I had to get serious about buying a few things. Most importantly for a daily driver in AK was snow tires. The only real option for my SAS was Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 315/70R17. New I looking at over $1,800. I found these like new used set on marketplace for $1k. They are all 95%+ and in great shape. So at least I'll be ready for the slick roads as soon as I drive it off the lot. It's becoming real now!

20211016_173227.jpg

20211016_172922.jpg

20211016_172913.jpg
hi
that's the best choice yes for me to !
TRACKTOY
Sponsored

PonyHunter

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just purchased a set of these from Amazon. Had some gift cards/points that helped a bunch with cost. Seemed the easiest choice to keep everything stock sizing

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So now that my Bronco is set to arrive by the middle of next month I had to get serious about buying a few things. Most importantly for a daily driver in AK was snow tires. The only real option for my SAS was Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 315/70R17. New I looking at over $1,800. I found these like new used set on marketplace for $1k. They are all 95%+ and in great shape. So at least I'll be ready for the slick roads as soon as I drive it off the lot. It's becoming real now!
Did you also pick up a fifth tire for the spare?

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you also pick up a fifth tire for the spare?
No, just the 4. I plan to run a tire cover. Same size as stock so if I need the factory spare to limp home I'll be alright. Luckily I've never actually needed a spare. I've always got a flat at home. I do keep a plug kit and compressor with me just in case.

Since I'll have the extra wheel I may pickup another used tire to use in the winter. Once I put a new summer set of wheels on with the factory tires I'll buy a 5th so they all match.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

From looking at the SAS Broncos at work, chains in the front are not going to happen with stock wheels due to the close proximity of the upper control arms. Once mine is in my possession, I will start looking at offsets to get something that allows chains. In the CO backcountry I use them all the time. I had only used chains once in decades of AK driving.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In the CO backcountry I use them all the time. I had only used chains once in decades of AK driving.
Only time I've ever run them was a few years ago, my plow truck was down so I borrowed the f450 shop truck from work that had bald factory tires on it. I had a really steep driveway to do and it would have been a nightmare. Put chains on the outside rear duals and it did awesome. My only experience but man what a help. I've never been in a situation otherwise that needed them.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pic taken 10 min ago. I'm debating on just dropping the snows off once it arrives so I don't have to deal with it right after. We'll definitely be in full winter mode in two weeks.

My Chrysler with Blizzaks and AWD is a tank btw!

20211028_111634.jpg

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the nokians are on my list, I am running studded goodyear duratracs on my raptor right now and debating if I stick with these or go to the nokians, the good years are likely better off road and in the dirt but are missing the winter specific compound that makes snow tires so fun. nice to have at least 2 options for a 35" snow tire.

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are there any other dedicated snow tires in 315 70/r17? I can't find the Hakkapeliittas in stock anywhere. Maybe a triple peak A/T tire will be better than the stock Territory's but wonder by how much.

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are there any other dedicated snow tires in 315 70/r17? I can't find the Hakkapeliittas in stock anywhere. Maybe a triple peak A/T tire will be better than the stock Territory's but wonder by how much.
Duratracs are studable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I pick my Bronco up today at 2pm. In the last 24 hours we recieved 18" of snow. So my first drive in my Bronco will be full on winter conditions. I'll hopefully be getting the snow tires on today or tomorrow.

This was last night.

20211111_202908.jpg

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They are installed! Smoother than the Goodyears and better traction, both expected.

20211118_101214.jpg

20211118_101218.jpg

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Chain requirements are mostly a CA thing since the majority of morons drivers have little to any experience driving in the snow.

Having lived all over the world, I still laugh when CalTrans puts chain controls in affect around the Tahoe/Donner areasā€¦a better idea would be for CalTrans to just check zip codes on drivers licenses and if they were from the Bay Areaā€¦turn them around and send them home.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately it seems that only you are identifying yourself with a group of drivers that have limited experience driving in snow and ice, which Iā€™m not sure why you would if youā€™re not one of them šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I have driven both 4wd and 2wd vehicle in snow, ice, blizzard conditions in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Alaska, upper and lower Midwest, CA and yes even CO. The point I think that you missed is that chains as a requirement is mostly a CA thing for winter highway and interstate travel since drivers in above mentioned areas are used to inclement weather and know how to adjust their driving accordingly.

I never said that chains donā€™t have their place and purpose, we use them all the time in extreme, off-road conditions when there are no roads. Now, if your question is for a recommendation in those situations, true linked chains with tensioners are about the only way to go. For highway/on road use there are many to choose from, however I would steer clear of any cable type chains as Iā€™ve seen too many of them break and slice your vehicle open like a can opener or worse, come off all together and hit someone elseā€™s vehicleā€¦you get what you pay for.
Sponsored