Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
This happened to me over a month and a half ago, I just got mine back this past Monday. For the same exact reason.
Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This happened to me over a month and a half ago, I just got mine back this past Monday. For the same exact reason.
….and they found what?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is an SSM from Ford on the 2.3 for a brake issue.
50314 - 2021 Bronco - 2.3L - Illuminated Brake Warning Lamp And/Or Brake System Warning
Some 2021 Bronco vehicles equipped with the 2.3L engine may exhibit a red brake warning lamp and/or brake system warning message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P050F in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and a firm brake pedal. This may be due to contamination in a brake booster vacuum line. To correct this condition, replace the vehicle's vacuum ho se (MB3Z-2420-A). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09 for installatio n instructions. For claiming, use casual part 2420
That sounds like it.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So if it's only the 2.3 and only to a few and not all the time, It's not a big problem,,,,, LOL. When someone can't stop that 5,000 pound beast and it plows into the back of a minivan loaded with kids, it will be a problem. Who will believe that the brakes failed, and will Ford back it up. In all my years I have never had a brake failure of any kind. But none of mine have had the advanced systems like the new ones do.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So if it's only the 2.3 and only to a few and not all the time, It's not a big problem,,,,, LOL. When someone can't stop that 5,000 pound beast and it plows into the back of a minivan loaded with kids, it will be a problem. Who will believe that the brakes failed, and will Ford back it up. In all my years I have never had a brake failure of any kind. But none of mine have had the advanced systems like the new ones do.
Not a fan of all this technology, but one advantage is that there is an electronic record of OPs brake failure due to the check brake system light being activated. I'm assuming that code should be saved on the computer.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Needed new break booster and vacuum pump.
Were you involved in a similar hard braking situation prior to the failure? People can make excuses for Ford all they want or call people snowflakes or whatever makes them feel better. People should have a right to know these things. I for one had no idea the braking system on the 2.3 was different than the 2.7, and apparently not in a good way.

Sponsored

Mountainguy

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
How is this not an immediate recall if it’s a “known” problem????

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I believe that PTSD should be reserved for the VETS. But,,, it can be caused by any traumatic event. Tornado, divorce, child's death. IMO, being scared is not PTSD.

OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That sounds like it.
That was it - Got more info from shop. They replaced the vacuum booster line - ‘known issue’. SSM 50314 (diagnostic P050F I believe). Assuming this will be one of the first of many.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
wtf, Ford needs to inspect every 2.3 out there. They will be liable for every damage that happens from this point imo.
Sponsored