First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
yeah I have an FE. Ford didn’t cancel mine, I was a day one reservation and picked it up November 1st. Brakes have gone out twice since. But yeah, mine is the 2.7, so possibly a universal problem.
I don't think Ford canceled any that were ordered correctly, just the folks who didn't update their orders in accordance with what Ford said they needed to.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think Ford canceled any that were ordered correctly, just the folks who didn't update their orders in accordance with what Ford said they needed to.
I don't recall the specific case as I've obviously mixed up attributing it to clean68's case. But there was one member, who no fault of his own, had it cancelled. They paid up on the secondary market to acquire another FE as it was important they had one to match their 1st gen Bronco (sentimental reasons or some such). That person ended up getting a Braptor reservation for compensation for the cancellation.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What kind of question is that? Stick to what’s important man!
What is your employment and/or service history?
What is your definition of PTSD?
What does your wife look like?
I kid. No definitive answer yet. Thanks to the OP for posting, so that we can be aware, and prepared in the event of a similar situation. I’m glad there were no accidents, and everyone was ok.
1D8F89F4-2F60-4A58-B595-C5FA697E8FF3.gif

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't understand the need to be so in your face regarding your opinion on the subject. The OP shared his experience to let others know about a safety issue and you decide to go off on a tangent about how it's not PTSD. No one really cares. You've added nothing of value to the original post other than stirring up a bunch of drama.
Obviously, you do care... otherwise you would have ignored it.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they recall the Bronco just before mine is delivered so the dealer can't sell it to me I'm gonna lose my shit. Rather take my chances with the brakes!
Now that's a man that wants his Bronco....I can respect that. Hopefully you get yours before any future recalls hit the fan. Seems like my 2019 SD has had half a dozen I know of. Bound to happen.

Hope you get yours soon.

Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did the electric (?) Emergency Brake work? When I was a kid in the 60's bad brakes were not unusual in old cars and trucks, but the mechanical emergency brakes were bomb proof.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In case anyone missed one of the other threads on brake failure, @D2dhanover explains how the system works from a Ford technical perspective, everything is "brake by wire" now.
This is a very poor explanation and will lead to misinterpretation. NHTSA has NOT approved "brake by wire", and likely never will. Electric boost is not a new idea, has been used as far back as the late 1980's, but used for BOOST only. conventional master cylinder pressure remains in the case of complete electrical failure...although in some cases only the front brakes.

Mountainguy

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not on a Bronco Forum to diagnose anonymous users with WebMD definitions. I’m even less in a Bronco Forum to argue about it.

The percentage of GAF I have for someone’s spoken profession on here is microbial. It doesn’t matter to me if someone says they’re a doctor, or a marine, or an engineer, or the spirit of Henry MF Ford possessing the lead singer of Tool’s consciousness because he wants me to keep waiting for a Bronco… all I care about when I come to this forum is whether I can better inform myself on one of the more expensive things I’ll have bought in my life thus far, and how I can optimize it for years to come.

If someone wants to convey they’ll be wearing brown pants when they’re driving a Bronco w/out doors or a roof because their 2.3L’s brakes have a known flaw… then I’m not going to chastise them about the merits of aligning the color of their pants with what they ate the prior day. As we can probably all confirm… it doesn’t always come out brown!

That said, all the user did was communicate (at least to me) that he had a traumatic experience that left him feeling uneasy about getting behind the wheel of his Bronco. Why do we care to argue the merits of whether that’s PTSD or not?

My wife drove my car when it got hit in the highway. She now gets really uneasy/nervous around 18-wheelers. No, she doesn’t bail out of the car, dig a trench and curse at Peterbilts, but I wouldn’t argue with her if she feels like she’s suffering from post traumatic stress from that accident, either.

I hope that clears up my stance. Oh yeah, to prove I have a wife, here she is sitting next to a Big Rig…

Ford Bronco Brakes Failure on highway - known issue according to dealership? 1D8F89F4-2F60-4A58-B595-C5FA697E8FF3
Thank you for this reply. God people are so soft. The guy could have died and people are challenging him because they feel insulted. Stop being g-damn selfish.

CJK

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mazda 2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you for this reply. God people are so soft. The guy could have died and people are challenging him because they feel insulted. Stop being g-damn selfish.
I once had a dump truck back up onto a nissan 240 at a construction zone intersection. The entire front end went under the back wheels before the driver figured it out. I had a fear of backup lights for years after. I totally understand this guy’s feeling. The dump truck driver didn’t hear me honking and didn’t follow any kind of checks before backing up. Needless to say his company paid for the car to be fixed. Worst part was it wasn’t my car but I was driving. Felt terrible about it even though it wasn’t my fault and then still had the “ptsd” for years afterwards. I Feel for ya buddy.

reneesgirls

Big Bend
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge and Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?

—- UPDATE —-

Got more info from shop. They replaced the vacuum booster line - ‘known issue’. SSM 50314 (diagnostic P050F I believe). Assuming this will be one of the first of many.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FYI - They did the same for me (replace vac line) but it keeps happening. Since they replaced the vac line its no where near as bad but it still continues to occur - but usually after 1.5 hours and using cruise control I continue to get the error and funky pedal resistance. With these conditions the error is the same but for the situation to be recreated (for me), occurs after about 1.5 hours in cruise control usually in normal goat mode.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FYI - They did the same for me (replace vac line) but it keeps happening. Since they replaced the vac line its no where near as bad but it still continues to occur - but usually after 1.5 hours and using cruise control I continue to get the error and funky pedal resistance. With these conditions the error is the same but for the situation to be recreated (for me), occurs after about 1.5 hours in cruise control usually in normal goat mode.

@Ford Motor Company wants your Bronco experience to be exciting.

That sounds... exciting, however, I am not sure that's what you had in mind.

Seriously, they need to fix that, it's just dangerous.

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the brake system notification dialoge box and light come on after 10 minutes of driving. So I made a appt with dealer brought it in and they couldn't find the code or anything wrong. Picked the vehicle up and on the way home the light went on again so I brought it in the next day and they found out that it was the brake vacuum line.....The brakes did feel off and pedal action was stiff at first but they worked okay (though I was sketched out)....Now it sits at the dealer awaiting its part. Its been 9 days and counting.

OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes - they said the same to me. After replacing the vac line, my bronco continued to throw the alert but would reset when I turned the car off and on again... After finally contacting Ford directly (thanks to this forum), Ford was able to direct the dealership on how to diagnose and they determined it was an issue with the braking sensor specifically as opposed to the vac line that they originally replaced. I haven’t had an issue since (fingers crossed).
Sponsored