Brakes? Nobody talking about the Bronco brakes...

Beach_Bum

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited
Clubs

that's nice to know. fwiw, the 2020 ford raptor has a GVWR of between 6650 and 7000#.

i think ford's is not limited by the GVWR.
(you might be restricted where you can legally drive)
This is from Ford's Product FAQ -
Why do certain models prohibit some accessories?
We have a Bronco for every customer. Many Bronco accessory items can be added during or after vehicle delivery at the dealer. We engineered Bronco for maximum off-road capability and GVWR restrictions may limit combinations of certain accessories.

Advertisement

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r
at this moment, that FAQ means nothing since we don't know actual GVWR
(expect over 6000#) and what's being disallowed (if anything).

however, upgrading pads/rotors et al isn't going to add enough weight to matter since
the GVWR most likely exceed 6000#)

OP

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 F-150, '05 F-350, '13 JKU, '11 Jag XJL, '11 BMW 740LI, '05 Bentley GT
99% of every lifted vehicle on the road is running stock oem brake pads/rotors etc. all of them seem to stop fine. I get what you’re asking but I highly doubt the engineers forgot about the brakes and Sasquatch package.
When I went from 33"s to 38"s on my JKU, my stopping power was significantly reduced. I put all new pads on it but it still isn't enough...I am going to put a big brake kit on it to help, but for now I typically follow a lot farther behind then I do in any of my other vehicles.... 5"s was a drastic difference for me, and I have a feeling it's the same with the difference between the Base standard and a loaded down Squatch...

Cookieck

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
if not undersized, right on the edge. I'm guessing "adequate" will be a good word. This might also have something to do with the low tow rating.
Raptor has 17in rims, 34in tires, and an 8000lb tow capacity. So if the brakes are limiting tow cap or any capability it’s by fords choice. Ranger also has 16in rims and 7500lb tow cap. You don’t just need huge brakes to stop, of course larger size helps still, but think broncos brakes will be more than adequate. If they can stop the ranger and Raptor with more than double to broncos tow cap behind them, they can stop the bronco fine.

Lilj4425

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
Brakes? You don’t need brakes. Be like the Flintstones and use your feet.

Cheshire

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
So usually when you put larger tires on, you have to upgrade the brake pads and calipers...

But I have seen nothing anywhere that shows any difference in the brakes between the models...
So do the Base 2drs with 30" tires have the same size calipers as a loaded down Sasquatch 4 door with 35" tires?
If so, the braking would have to be insane on the Base or just adequate at most on the 4 door Squatch...

Despite what anyone says, 5" increase on tire size and 1500 lbs additional will have a noticeable affect on braking....
I've mentioned this problem w/Sasquatch 35" tires on several threads. Summary:

- Compared to base 30" tires, 35s will require MUCH LONGER BREAKING DISTANCE & TIME.
- Even he 33" Badlands tires will not break as well as the smaller tires.

Many folks say they don't care about this problem, they just want big ass tires. This plus slower acceleration, worse gas mileage and worse road handling overall made me decide against Sasquatch long ago! I'm probably getting Badlands and even those 33s worry me a bit for daily driving.

It's crazy to me how many people here think they need Sasquatch 35s. Most have never owed such large tires! Prediction: There will be a lot of Sasquatch buyers that end up disappointed when daily driving, parking, etc. Squatch w/2.3L will especially be slower than people expect.

Panzer948

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've mentioned this problem w/Sasquatch 35" tires on several threads. Summary:

- Compared to base 30" tires, 35s will require MUCH LONGER BREAKING DISTANCE & TIME.
- Even he 33" Badlands tires will not break as well as the smaller tires.

Many folks say they don't care about this problem, they just want big ass tires. This plus slower acceleration, worse gas mileage and worse road handling overall made me decide against Sasquatch long ago! I'm probably getting Badlands and even those 33s worry me a bit for daily driving.

It's crazy to me how many people here think they need Sasquatch 35s. Most have never owed such large tires! Prediction: There will be a lot of Sasquatch buyers that end up disappointed when daily driving, parking, etc. Squatch w/2.3L will especially be slower than people expect.
This is a good thread. I am looking at getting the Sasquatch package too but know if Ford uses the same brakes across all models we are definitely trading in some stopping power/distance. I for one don't want to compromise since my daily work commute is in heavy freeway city traffic. I also am use to the brakes on my BMW M4, which are an upgrade over standard BMW, so I know the difference a good set of brakes can make. A good set of brakes improves driving confidence whether you are in a performance car (doing something you probably shouldn't be doing) or driving your oversized SUV around town...

I may not upgrade right away but I will definitely look at aftermarket, maybe after the first year or so of ownership.

AMK610

Base
First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
This thread is another reason why I’m getting the manual

King Luis

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Clubs

one other person said it here. well, 1.5. brake pad material will greatly affect stopping distance. don't forget to change your brake fluid as well. cheap stuff can boil after a couple repeated heavy presses, especially if it's got some age on it. i tracked my old m3 on old fluid and was cooling off the brakes after 3-4 laps. went back out on fresh good fluid and was able to do triple the laps in one stint. material of the pads and rotors will affect the initial bite and stopping power. regardless of rotating mass and vehicle weight. i'm sure a sasquatch bronco will stop in the same distance as a rubicon. (145ish feet)

Advertisement

Advertisement