Sponsored

Brand Manager says no white tops MY21 - what are planning to do if you had a color that was picked for a white top combo? Probably impacts AMB camp

For those getting AMB, and plan on getting a white painted hardtop, what will you do if it’s not ava

• Total voters

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see this going 5 ways for me and I'm not even a AMB person but a Cactus Gray:
1. Order a body colored (Cactus Gray) hard top and paint it white.
2. Find someone ordering a white 4dr bronco and see if I can arrange for them to order a white body colored hard top and I'll swap them for their white top and I'll order either the gray MIC or black painted hardtop of their choosing.
3. My wife says f*** it and just orders a white badlands w/ body colored white hardtop (which I'm not for).
4. My wife says f*** it and just waits it out for the new 4runner to come out.
5. My wife says f*** it and trades in her '18 GC for a newer one.

I refuse to have that gray MIC top on the bronco that doesn't match anything on the bronco. Painting or line-x the MIC top white is out of the question.

I think it's complete BS, they're already painting hard tops for white broncos. Ford shouldn't have been parading that one around like they have been after the reveal. Ford will either have people say screw it and just pay for the MIC top (which will mean Ford gets $1k+ less from customers who would have ordered the white dual top option) or people will pay for the black dual top option and like me, go get it painted leaving a bitter taste in their mouth).

I'm also on hold placing an order for a '21 F350 tremor until I see the Bronco B&P, because her decision on whether to continue with a Bronco will determine my need for a F350. So Ford essentially has $145k on the line from my wife & I lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Well heck, I'm still holding out hope at least until B&P proves me wrong. Not sure what to do but maybe if B&P is actually out in October it'll give me chance to possibly switch with Granger to an October deal and put me at MY22 but really didn't want to wait or have to wrap or paint a mod top when I'll already be spending $1900 on it!

So, WTF Ford? Bronco's have white tops.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really don't know what I'll do. May have to rethink the whole color thing. I’ve said this before but I think Ford is somewhat missing a population of their targeted customers. They have done such a good job designing a vehicle that plays homage to the old Bronco. Additionally, they’ve gone after Jeep’s off-roading market very effectively. To me they’ve balanced those two goals reasonably well. However, I think they’ve focused too much on targeting Jeep to the detriment staying true to the Bronco heritage (they could’ve done both more effectively). Things like the lack of a white top and the awful color choices are really bad decisions. Many of us older Bronco enthusiasts (and the people who can generally afford the cost of the higher trim levels) want a Bronco that is both capable and looks “old school”. I was set on a AMB with a white top. In my opinion, those grey tops are ugly as hell. My guess is we’re getting grey tops to match Jeep’s offering. I mean, what Broncos ever came with a light grey top? These things really shouldn’t be that hard. As much credit as I give Ford for the design of the new Bronco (as opposed to their awful launch), I really think they’re missing the mark in some of their design decisions. Pisses me off that they’ll likely realize this and offer such items for later models.
the worst part is they already have the white top (modular body colored top for the Oxford White Bronco). They don’t have to retool or anything....at best they just need to order more white paint. They just refuse to offer it. It makes no sense not to....it’s the high end option top with what I am sure is a much higher profit margin over the MIC.

well....maybe the worst part is being told “we’re listening” when clearly they aren’t lol...no...not offering the white top is worse

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I really don't know what I'll do. May have to rethink the whole color thing. I’ve said this before but I think Ford is somewhat missing a population of their targeted customers. They have done such a good job designing a vehicle that plays homage to the old Bronco. Additionally, they’ve gone after Jeep’s off-roading market very effectively. To me they’ve balanced those two goals reasonably well. However, I think they’ve focused too much on targeting Jeep to the detriment staying true to the Bronco heritage (they could’ve done both more effectively). Things like the lack of a white top and the awful color choices are really bad decisions. Many of us older Bronco enthusiasts (and the people who can generally afford the cost of the higher trim levels) want a Bronco that is both capable and looks “old school”. I was set on a AMB with a white top. In my opinion, those grey tops are ugly as hell. My guess is we’re getting grey tops to match Jeep’s offering. I mean, what Broncos ever came with a light grey top? These things really shouldn’t be that hard. As much credit as I give Ford for the design of the new Bronco (as opposed to their awful launch), I really think they’re missing the mark in some of their design decisions. Pisses me off that they’ll likely realize this and offer such items for later models.

Ps: The fact that Ford has presented Broncos with white tops during their Mickey Mouse launch is a clear bait and switch tactic. Bush league at best.
That brand manager looks pretty young. He and his design team probably thought gray will be more popular than white because gray is such an in color right now.

I mean what focus group of Bronco enthusiasts did they pass “white, gray or black” by and the answer came back “gray for sure!”?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think it has to do with managing all the variables at the factory. Especially now with all these reservations and COVID. Maybe they found themselves having to drop the white top to speed up production and meet demand for the first model year. They know we want it but maybe it was a sacrifice they had to make

they have 2 sets of bodies for the bronco, multiple tops, two sets of rangers etc. That’s a lot of combos.

unfortunately, if they drop the white top I could also see them dropping body colored tops (or at least pushing them out to MY22). Because the added time to have a separately painted white top is probably not much different than a body colored top. If they drop the white top (for now) to speed up production they may need to go the same for a body colored top. That way they could pull either a MIC, or black mod top from a supply room filled with pre-made pre painted tops from a supplier

or who knows. Maybe they are withholding the white tops for 2022 to add features and keep the hype going. I personally feel that this is their exact intention for rear AC as well.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That brand manager looks pretty young. He and his design team probably thought gray will be more popular than white because gray is such an in color right now.
I'm not sure what age has to do with it but have you entertained the idea that he may be right?

White tops may be popular on this forum but will they be as popular with everyone else? Not everyone is in on the "nostalgia" of the Bronco or feels a "real" Bronco needs a white roof.

Also...there could be a number of other reasons why it's not offered. Supply changes and delivery schedules are some of them. I doubt Ford just forgot about white tops until someone here mentioned it.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much do you all think it would cost to paint the modular top?

They could at least do us a favor and send us an unpainted one

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check Fords website

Been there a long time
You can option to a body colored top...
What section? I can not seem to find it. Thanks!

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need a new car this year so if I can’t get the white top later I will be pissed.

If I didn’t need the car I would wait for 6 speed v6 and white top

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm not sure what age has to do with it but have you entertained the idea that he may be right?

White tops may be popular on this forum but will they be as popular with everyone else? Not everyone is in on the "nostalgia" of the Bronco or feels a "real" Bronco needs a white roof.

Also...there could be a number of other reasons why it's not offered. Supply changes and delivery schedules are some of them. I doubt Ford just forgot about white tops until someone here mentioned it.
Ok, so why not black or very dark gray over “sun faded gray”? Because there are very few “I love the light gray top” comments on this site.

Supply Chain? Jeep seems to be able to manufacture dark, almost black, gray MIC tops. There is not enough white paint to offer white painted modular tops as an option?

It was a conscious decision by someone who felt their design choice differentiated the Bronco; both versus Jeep and as a modern interpretation to the Bronco.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, so why not black or very dark gray over “sun faded gray”? Because there are very few “I love the light gray top” comments on this site.

Supply Chain? Jeep seems to be able to manufacture dark, almost black, gray MIC tops. There is not enough white paint to offer white painted modular tops as an option?

It was a conscious decision by someone who felt their design choice differentiated the Bronco.
they are rolling out a bronco maybe every 60-90 seconds and have 150k orders to fill during COVID when they can’t run at full capacity. If they need to paint the tops separately it’s added time. Or if their suppliers need to paint an additional colored top, that’s also added time. It all comes down to time management.

to push out the white top for 2022 (when production normalizes, and there aren’t COVID restraints) plus keep the hype going into year two, it may have been an easier executive decision than you may think. It has a lot more to do with them not having enough white paint lol

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

they are rolling out a bronco maybe every 60-90 seconds and have 150k orders to fill during COVID when they can’t run at full capacity. If they need to paint the tops separately it’s added time. Or if their suppliers need to paint an additional colored top, that’s also added time. It all comes down to time management.

to push out the white top for 2022 (when production normalizes, and there aren’t COVID restraints) plus keep the hype going into year two, it may have been an easier executive decision than you may think. It has a lot more to do with them not having enough white paint lol
I didn’t say paint every top white. I said offer a Whited Painted Modular Top as an option just like the Black Painted Modular Top is an option. What is the difference in production time for an option they already offer?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It was a conscious decision by someone who felt their design choice differentiated the Bronco; both versus Jeep and as a modern interpretation to the Bronco.
I don't have the answers for you. Just pointing out the fact that it's probably not just a young guy saying grey is in and that's that. Likely more to it.

Also....everyone bangs on about how bad the grey top looks...but...many of those that have seen it in real life seem to think it actually looks pretty good.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

to be honest, I don’t care about nastolgia, I never owned a bronco. I don’t even think I have ever even ridden in one as a kid. I am coming over from the Jeep side. I was just about to order a Rubicon when this was released. I just think the white top looks great and really sets it apart from Jeep or any other vehicle.

I can understand if there are production reasons, but then just be honest. Don’t string us along...don’t talk down to us by saying you’re listening if you’re not. Tell us they are delayed....tell us we can order the white top at a discount later. While I am not a fan of FCA, but I feel those behind the Jeep brand don’t jerk around their customer base like this.
Sponsored