Sponsored

Brand new Bronco, windshield cracked with weather change.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The defrost just directs the air flow to the windshield. The thermostat knob controls the temp.
Agree with everything else, but, this is simply not true.

Yours may not be working correctly, but that's exactly how it should operate. My defrost couldn't keep up today with the knobs set at a comfortable 70, I had to crank them to HI (max defrost does the same thing automatically) to get the defrost air warm enough. This was at just 10F.

Ford Bronco Brand new Bronco, windshield cracked with weather change. PXL_20221223_210127986
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Defroster got mine too. Was only around 20 degrees. I've lived in a lot of cold places and warmed up a lot of cold vehicles and never had the windshield crack from the defroster. Oh well. At least it's only a few inches from the bottom, although it does go all the way across.

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess itā€™s a thing, my bronco windshield did the same thing. Defrost on high and a loud pop and an instant 4 foot crack midway up the windshield, right in my line of vision. It appears to be the outer layer of glass only. Very thin glass, probably.040ā€ each layer. I didnā€™t see it at first but there is a minute chip in the glass in line with the crack. Had at least 3 other more visible chips that didnā€™t crack.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Defroster got mine too. Was only around 20 degrees. I've lived in a lot of cold places and warmed up a lot of cold vehicles and never had the windshield crack from the defroster. Oh well. At least it's only a few inches from the bottom, although it does go all the way across.
What's the deal? Is Ford using shitty glass in the Bronco? I get the vertical windshield explanation for all the chips leading to cracks but the defroster cracking them in normal winter temperatures seems absurd. Maybe there's a thicker/better glass in the aftermarket?

OP
OP
peetuhr

peetuhr

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Classic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never updated this, but yeah, I had a tiny chip right in the bottom corner outside of view. :| Waiting who knows how long on replacement glass and hopeful it's not a recurring trend.

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never updated this, but yeah, I had a tiny chip right in the bottom corner outside of view. :| Waiting who knows how long on replacement glass and hopeful it's not a recurring trend.
I did a search on here and did not see this thread before I started a new one. Happened to me last week with it being 10 degrees here, did remote start, had defrost going, then crack crack crack. Getting replaced today. Had no idea there were so many people with same issue but now I don't feel silly.
Sponsored