Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not back to back and only limited street use on Gen3 test drive but definitely not off road in gen 3. I’ve heard it’s been a good upgrade overall and even in street test drive it wasn’t as bouncy as my previous gen 2 that’s for sure. Power wise it’s pretty much the same 3.5l eco but I’m sure the Raptor R completes the whole truck as it should be.

Have you driven the GEN2 and GEN3 Raptor back to back?

I have and I can absolutely tell you the GEN3 Raptor took a big leap forward going away from a leaf rear setup to a 5 linked rear.
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yikes. To me, that would make the braptor explicitly a weekend/fun vehicle.
I've heard rumors/anecdotes of someone selling their Braptor due to poor fuel efficiency. That's barely believable to me. But I do have to remind myself of how many folks own mall crawlers...

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard rumors/anecdotes of someone selling their Braptor due to poor fuel efficiency. That's barely believable to me. But I do have to remind myself of how many folks own mall crawlers...
I believe it 100%. That’s atrocious mpg. I mean thats really really bad. I dont even want to think about the annual gasoline costs for a braptor. Sub 15mpg, woof that’s horrific. It hurts me to think about it and I dont even have it. In all honesty I havnt taken the badlands onto the trails yet but its only a month old and I have no protection on it yet. Nothing. Ill get to the trails when its ready. Have parts on order. But once there in, ill be up in the trails just like I was with the wrangler. Def not a mall crawler owner. Lol

50A7868A-304B-4839-BFD1-4EAE703EA17F.jpeg

A27E1D52-11D1-4FFF-9CA2-A159BFEAE30E.jpeg

3E61D3F0-3EF9-4D34-88AA-3DE64BE0B34F.jpeg

Internationalraptor

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s funny to me when people complain about MPG. I purchased a 2006 LBZ Duramax brand new and have been dealing with about 12mpg for 17 years and 300K plus miles. Love that truck and don’t even think about mileage.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I believe it 100%. That’s atrocious mpg. I mean thats really really bad. I dont even want to think about the annual gasoline costs for a braptor. Sub 15mpg, woof that’s horrific. It hurts me to think about it and I dont even have it.
Def not a mall crawler owner. Lol
Got to pay to play. Would you be concerned about the fuel efficiency of a sand rail or Baja race truck (or Ferrari to make the same point from an on-road perspective)? If one has the $$ for a Braptor they do (should...) have the money to feed it.

But also, just for clarity sake, I was absolutely not stating nor implying you are a mall crawler. Just that Braptors are used as such, which is a shame.

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nothing on 37" tires gets good MPG. Hard to believe anybody would buy this expecting to get good mpg. At order I was guessing 15~16mpg.

OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nothing on 37" tires gets good MPG. Hard to believe anybody would buy this expecting to get good mpg. At order I was guessing 15~16mpg.
I agree, I am not purchasing with the idea that I’m going to get better fuel efficiency than the vehicle I am
Giving up for this. I am however expecting 15/16 mpg for everyday driving. Hoping this doesn’t change much with a 17” forged wheel and 38/39” tire.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hoping this doesn’t change much with a 17” forged wheel and 38/39” tire.
Heavier and/or larger diameter tires WILL decrease mpg. Larger really hurts more than heavier as the moment of inertia depends on radius squared whereas mass only as first power.

OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Heavier and/or larger diameter tires WILL decrease mpg. Larger really hurts more than heavier as the moment of inertia depends on radius squared whereas mass only as first power.
Yeah, I’m hoping the forged wheel will weigh less than the stock to counter the weight of the heavier tire. Which is why I’m leaning towards a bfg because they tend to weigh less than a toyo/nitto.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, I’m hoping the forged wheel will weigh less than the stock to counter the weight of the heavier tire. Which is why I’m leaning towards a bfg because they tend to weigh less than a toyo/nitto.
Like I said, due to radius being much more important (and all of the weight being essentially being added at the outermost radial position, comparing larger tire to smaller) than mass, it would be highly unlikely for a rim to make up for a larger tire. Furthermore, forged does not at all mean lighter, it just means that's how it was manufactured.

I think I heard K03s launching on 4/1...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Like I said, due to radius being much more important (and all of the weight being essentially being added at the outermost radial position, comparing larger tire to smaller) than mass, it would be highly unlikely for a rim to make up for a larger tire. Furthermore, forged does not at all mean lighter, it just means that's how it was manufactured.

I think I heard K03s launching on 4/1...
Correct, but we are talking aluminum compared to what i assume is a cast steel wheel that it comes with stock. I don’t foresee much of a difference between a 37” and 39” ko2. A taller tire also means more travel per rotation too, so I don’t see a significant drop of fuel efficiency tbh.

I am however looking forward to seeing the new ko3 to see what changes were made.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Correct, but we are talking aluminum compared to what i assume is a cast steel wheel that it comes with stock. I don’t foresee much of a difference between a 37” and 39” ko2. A taller tire also means more travel per rotation too, so I don’t see a significant drop of fuel efficiency tbh.

I am however looking forward to seeing the new ko3 to see what changes were made.
Keep on prayin'...

The factory wheels are all aluminum, regardless of style.

Again, even at identical or perhaps even less weight (not happening, but theoretically...) a 39" version of one tire vs. a 37" is going to have a much larger moment of inertia and will hence "absorb" much more energy on each and every acceleration and hence harm fuel efficiency. To be clear here by "absorb" I do not mean from tire rolling losses turning into heat, but rather the fact that tires store rotational kinetic energy and therefore take energy to accelerate.

You will be able to see/measure this and it will be significant, prob ~2 mpg worse.

A larger diameter tire of the same weight and moment of inertia will not yield a gain in mpg.

If you don't recalibrate for a new tire size, your mileage will be off after tire size change and this would cause an error in the calculated mpg. Your factory mph will prob run 2-3% high compared to gps, but mileage should be accurate.

OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Keep on prayin'...

The factory wheels are all aluminum, regardless of style.

Again, even at identical or perhaps even less weight (not happening, but theoretically...) a 39" version of one tire vs. a 37" is going to have a much larger moment of inertia and will hence "absorb" much more energy on each and every acceleration and hence harm fuel efficiency. To be clear here by "absorb" I do not mean from tire rolling losses turning into heat, but rather the fact that tires store rotational kinetic energy and therefore take energy to accelerate.

You will be able to see/measure this and it will be significant, prob ~2 mpg worse.

A larger diameter tire of the same weight and moment of inertia will not yield a gain in mpg.

If you don't recalibrate for a new tire size, your mileage will be off after tire size change and this would cause an error in the calculated mpg. Your factory mph will prob run 2-3% high compared to gps, but mileage should be accurate.
didnt know they were aluminum wheels, that’s good to know. I’m curious as to the actual difference in a 37/39 k02 fuel efficiency wise. Again, not that I’d buying a braptor for fuel is efficiency.

Internationalraptor

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s all about weight. Just let your 12 year old drive it to the grocery store and run all other errands by himself. Because he’s probably significantly lighter than most middle aged men who are, like me, trying to re-live their youth.

OP
OP
Breptar

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s all about weight. Just let your 12 year old drive it to the grocery store and run all other errands by himself. Because he’s probably significantly lighter than most middle aged men who are, like me, trying to re-live their youth.
🤣🤣🤣 especially with these gas prices here in SoCal. 😐
Sponsored