Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone else planning on dumping the oil as soon as it leaves the lot and dropping in a true break in oil for the first 1000? I was considering the Gibbs Racing break in oil.......
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a bad idea, but most people typically don't own the vehicles long enought to need to change the oil so you're already miles ahead just asking. Most modern engines, barring developing a leak, can go beyond their warrantee on the original oil and some do...

The advice used to be a high zinc oil package in conjunction with assembly lube was plenty. Any modified change interval, say 100, 1,250, 3,000, 5,000 may be OCD for modern engines and oils, but peace of mind and cheap insurance for the long haulers among us.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you plan on racing it? The oil that came in it will be good for break in.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was planning on it, but asked my father (former Ford employee) about it and he said, "What are you crazy?? Are you going to become an Ultra4 driver?"

He went in-depth on break-in oil, super interesting honestly. But the TL;DR version is the break-in oil basically shortens the break-in process by forcing it to occur sooner than it would naturally. Unless the Bronco was going to be put under a lot of stress early in its life it's practically pointless. And in some cases he's seen people who have used break-in oil for too long and it actually caused extra wear on the engine.

His recommendation was to just drive the Bronco normally (don't get too crazy) for the first 500-1000 miles, then change the oil.

He personally did the following on his F-250, and didn't put any real significant load on the engine until after the first ~5000 miles. Shared with me his maintenance log that he keeps in an Excel sheet:
  • First change: 734 miles on the odometer
  • Second change: 3579 miles on the odo
  • Third change: 7086 miles on the odo
After that it seems to be every ~3000 - 7500 miles... kinda varies widely. Tends to change the oil sooner in the summer than the winter... guessing that has to do towing boats/ATVs for summer vacations, and the fact that he lives in Arizona.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a former engineer for Germany’s oldest lubricant company. My boss helped Castrol design their programs for BMW and Mercedes. My other boss helped Idemitsu design programs in the US.

If I described this to them, they would laugh at me.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a former engineer for Germany’s oldest lubricant company. My boss helped Castrol design their programs for BMW and Mercedes. My other boss helped Idemitsu design programs in the US.

If I described this to them, they would laugh at me.
Are you part of the genius team that determined 15,000 mile intervals are acceptable? I service these things, it's far too long and is a cause of many compounded issues and failures.

I laugh at 10-15K intervals on forced induction engines. Blow by, soot, thermal load......

Anytime you want me to get you a ladder, You can step off your high horse and back up the attitude with facts and/or evidence.

Does anyone know de-facto what ford does to the longblocks after assembly? Are they run on a stand i suspect not. I know with a roller camshaft its half worthless, but I plan on running this engine to destruction from mileage or cylinder pressures.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you part of the genius team that determined 15,000 mile intervals are acceptable? I service these things, it's far too long and is a cause of many compounded issues and failures.

I laugh at 10-15K intervals on forced induction engines. Blow by, soot, thermal load......

Anytime you want me to get you a ladder, You can step off your high horse and back up the attitude with facts and/or evidence.

Does anyone know de-facto what ford does to the longblocks after assembly? Are they run on a stand i suspect not. I know with a roller camshaft its half worthless, but I plan on running this engine to destruction from mileage or cylinder pressures.
Mam, You did not bring any facts, only anecdote. Then proceeded to demand facts from me. I don’t do your homework for you. If you want data, that’s on you.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mam, You did not bring any facts, only anecdote. Then proceeded to demand facts from me. I don’t do your homework for you. If you want data, that’s on you.
My fault I thought the "oil industry" expert was selling more than snake oil.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You know, engines and oils are a lot better today than they were just a few years ago, much less 50+ years ago. My '71 351 windsor needed rebuilt at 100K and the amount of hardened sludge was impressive, even with 3K mile oil changes.

Today, people who don't know one end of the car from the other routinely go well over 200K on an engine with no problems. Old habits die hard, but todays engines and oils are the best they've ever been. It doesn't take any special care to get over 200K miles from an engine. I suspect this one won't be any different.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How many miles you want from your bronco. 300k, 500k. its hit or miss. i have had gas engine service trucks run over 300k with normal service with normal oils. V6, V8, and V10's. change your oil every 100 miles will make it last longer by how much. just saying, if its going to break down, its going to break down. i do the normal service on my vehicles and hope for the best. i have never had a bad engine in my life (53 years) now that i said that, my truck is going to blow up.

Edit: My 91 GSXR750 had a cracked engine case within 7k miles. going back to hit and miss.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mike, what are you planning to do with your vehicle? Genuinely curious.
In a perfect world I will showcase my capabilities/ Earn my red grill "R".
I dont have the pockets for deep R&D / manufacturing. So I'd like to be a premier builder/installer, using my personal truck as a test bed.

I've done alot of research into the 2.3 limits, I'd like to skirt 400 lbft. This area is where cylinder pressures get pretty high and break blocks in the cylinder 2-3 area. Until funds allow for a full built engine with 2.0 block I'd stop there initially.

DD/ Trail warrior, that gets used. 37-39's. Mid-long travel when applicable.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In a perfect world I will showcase my capabilities/ Earn my red grill "R".
I dont have the pockets for deep R&D / manufacturing. So I'd like to be a premier builder/installer, using my personal truck as a test bed.

I've done alot of research into the 2.3 limits, I'd like to skirt 400 lbft. This area is where cylinder pressures get pretty high and break blocks in the cylinder 2-3 area. Until funds allow for a full built engine with 2.0 block I'd stop there initially.

DD/ Trail warrior, that gets used. 37-39's. Mid-long travel when applicable.
Thanks for the detailed answer. 👍 I am pleased to learn that you plan to push the drivetrain to its limits. Can’t wait to follow your exploits! Good luck with the journey, my friend, and please post progress updates. :love:
Sponsored