Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been reading a lot of people on this forum talk about a "break in period" for the new Bronco. Is this really something Ford is saying is needed or just a holdover from old car guys from days gone by? I have bought probably 10 new cars over the last 20 years (everything from a hatchback Chevy to an Audi) and have never been told that any of them needed a "break in period". I actually had to look it up and found a Consumer Reports article on how it is no longer necessary or recommended for newer vehicles.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the topic.
Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Breakin is no longer needed.
I was also told that you can jump different octanes at will so who knows anymore. !

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got an 800 mile drive back from sac. I plan on using GPS, and avoid highways option. Brings the drive to 960 miles and I get to see some crap. Gonna keep it below 3krpm (manual transmission) There's my brake in period. Planning in sending in my oil when I get home too. I've bought one new car over the past 21 years. I don't but new cars every two years. If I did, I wouldn't care about break in period either

Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've got an 800 mile drive back from sac. I plan on using GPS, and avoid highways option. Brings the drive to 960 miles and I get to see some crap. Gonna keep it below 3krpm (manual transmission) There's my brake in period. Planning in sending in my oil when I get home too. I've bought one new car over the past 21 years. I don't but new cars every two years. If I did, I wouldn't care about break in period either
But if you keep it under 3k rpm. How is it gonna break in the motor. It’s going to be used to 3k

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, since I'm buying cars for 3 people, 10 is really not that many. But I didn't ask your opinion about my car buying habits, nor did I ask you to pay for any of them.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But if you keep it under 3k rpm. How is it gonna break in the motor. It’s going to be used to 3k
I've heard for brake in, you just want to avoid cruising at constant speeds/rpms and to keep your rpms below 3k. Easy to do in a manual transmission.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, since I'm buying cars for 3 people, 10 is really not that many. But I didn't ask your opinion about my car buying habits, nor did I ask you to pay for any of them.
You seem offended, which I didn't mean to do. Even if those new cars are split between 3 people, I don't think you'll have the cars long enough to see a benefit of adhering to the brake in period or taking it easy on the vehicles. The only person who is going to see any benefit, if the benefit truly exists, is whoevers still driving that car 15 years and 150k miles from now. I think it's a minor and short lived inconvenience to take it easy on a new car. From what I read on here from different first oil change lab results, there is a higher concentration of certain compounds which proves the engine is settling in. I'll be following the general break in period guidelines because I plan on having this car hopefully 30+years and 300k miles. My 99 4runner is at 200k miles without a single engine, transmission, or drivetrain issue. Frames rotted to hell tho.

OP
OP
BigDaddySquatch

BigDaddySquatch

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You seem offended, which I didn't mean to do. Even if those new cars are split between 3 people, I don't think you'll have the cars long enough to see a benefit of adhering to the brake in period or taking it easy on the vehicles. The only person who is going to see any benefit, if the benefit truly exists, is whoevers still driving that car 15 years and 150k miles from now. I think it's a minor and short lived inconvenience to take it easy on a new car. From what I read on here from different first oil change lab results, there is a higher concentration of certain compounds which proves the engine is settling in. I'll be following the general break in period guidelines because I plan on having this car hopefully 30+years and 300k miles. My 99 4runner is at 200k miles without a single engine, transmission, or drivetrain issue. Frames rotted to hell tho.
Sorry if I misread your intent. I don't know enough about cars to know whether the break-in period is needed or not. That's why I was asking. I had just never really been told by anyone that there needed to be one on any of the cars I've bought.

Sponsored

tobands

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX , 2014 Escape Titaimium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally i like to take it easy for a while to "loosen" everything up a little before i hit it hard.. One thing for sure it wont hurt

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My two cents having owned close to a dozen vehicles in the last 10 years. I travel a lot for work and have found every vehicle I have ever “broken in” doing interstate driving has yielded the same results. Excellent fuel mileage and have never had any major mechanical failure. The only cars I have adhered to break in with was my C7 corvette (first 500 miles it wasn’t run over 3700 rpm) and my wife’s gt350, we followed break in to the letter since it is a hand assembled motor. Mass produced series motors today are built with such tight specs and have had so much testing there really isn’t much to break in. I can tell you there are currently 4 eco boost motors in the garage include an f150 with the nano 2nd gen and we have had 0 issues with any. I tried to avoid full throttle for the first 1000 miles then I just drove it like normal.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, just don't set the cruise for an entire tank of fuel and don't bounce it off the rev limiter for 20 seconds either. Anything between those two are perfectly fine. Break in periods are mainly for piston rings, and the only thing that will seat rings to the cylinder is cylinder pressure, which is created by putting a load on the engine.

Have fun, use the entire rev range, don't be an idiot either and you'll be perfectly fine.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Break in, oil type or octane, I think you'd be safer discussing politics than bringing up this cursed trio.
Sponsored