Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Being the first vehicle that I’d consider driving not on the street, do you think there’s a typical break in period for going off road? I don’t plan on doing anything extreme with the Bronco very early on, but curious if any one has any tips on not pushing the truck too much within its first miles or first time adventuring to the mountains or the beach.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can't say for sure, but a lil' about my take...

I never was mechanically inclined until I started riding motorcycles. After my first bike, I learned what engine-break-in was and why it matters. I now take this seriously because the piston rings being broken in well, along with everything else in the engine, really determines the performance and longevity, as well as inhibits future maintenance.

That said, I'm gonna keep my first 500ish miles pretty tame. I don't think anything else needs to be delicate after that. And that's just the engine. Everything else on the vehicle should be able to take a hit right away, but if you're keeping tame for the sake of the engine for 500+ miles, the rest should be fine too.

Fubl

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 buick lesabre
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

See I've seen it both ways. Especially with oil consumption. Certain cars that were ragged in early no issues then others that were babied plenty. And vice versa. It's unfortantly one of those items that won't really show it's ugly head for a couple years or till people extra high mileage on them. The only constant seems to be that sitting in traffic is the worst thing you can do for these newer engines

dangerzone79

Black Diamond
First Name
O- -O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond & 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

See I've seen it both ways. Especially with oil consumption. Certain cars that were ragged in early no issues then others that were babied plenty. And vice versa. It's unfortantly one of those items that won't really show it's ugly head for a couple years or till people extra high mileage on them. The only constant seems to be that sitting in traffic is the worst thing you can do for these newer engines
Interesting. Why is sitting in traffic bad for newer motors?

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good thing I’ll be driving mine back from Iowa to Texas (~1000 miles) rather than commuting in Houston traffic for the first 500 miles.

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah, I also don't see this as an issue.

The thing with the bore is that it's rarely perfectly smooth, nor perfectly round. The piston, however, is machined to be. So with proper piston rings and break-in considered, the piston will shave the walls of the bore to fit and seal properly. This is best done with low RPMs and speeds because excessive heat will do the opposite.

After 500+ miles of low and slow, you change the oil and filter to get the shavings that collect, and maybe even run a different type of oil. After that, you should be good because the seal is right.

By your logic, it seems like you're saying that seal doesn't matter and that sitting in traffic, when idling would be the least stressful way to run it, would be bad?

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good thing I’ll be driving mine back from Iowa to Texas (~1000 miles) rather than commuting in Houston traffic for the first 500 miles.
Yeah, from my knowledge, that's not good. You're going to be gunning it down the highway for 1,000 miles right away? Literally the last thing you want to do either.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Fubl

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 buick lesabre
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting. Why is sitting in traffic bad for newer motors?
Low rpm operation with the fuel injection systems used now. Engines are not designed to be constantly idled, there's another thread on here about carbon build up. Sitting in traffic can also lead to that. Sorry live precovid in one of the worst traffic areas in country and work with euro cars.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncie

Broncie

Raptor
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wonder if the start/stop engine has any effect on all of this?

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Constant RPM is really the enemy IMO, you would want to vary your RPM's throughout the rev range for the first 500 or so miles or whatever Ford's spec is.

I wonder if the start/stop engine has any effect on all of this?
Can't imagine it would be helpful, startup inflicts the most wear on engines. I'll be rolling with that disabled full time (or i'll have to make a note to press the disable button every time I get in the truck).

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

don't lug the engine. vary the rpms. visit the red line occasionally.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, from my knowledge, that's not good. You're going to be gunning it down the highway for 1,000 miles right away? Literally the last thing you want to do either.
Gunning it? No. Cruising with changing speeds here and there and stops every 2 hours or so? Yes.

Don’t tow or drag race the thing and all will be well. Normal highway driving is not gonna damage anything in a new car. I could see the transmission having some learning issues as a result of the first 1000 being mostly highway but not damage or wear.
Sponsored