SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Finally picked up the Bronco last week! We live in a cold (-0) snowy climate and wondering what others have done during the 1st few miles of the bronco? The manual states this period is the 1st 1000-1500 miles. Specifically II'm wondering if it's bad to have the Bronco in 4WD a lot during this period and even more specifically in 4WD Auto driving at highway/interstate speeds? I know nothing is going to be devastating but want to make sure the 1st few miles are right to set me up for many years of fun! Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HomerJ

HomerJ

Wildtrak
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i have just drove it normal, no WOT until after 1000k but i got into it a few times, and used 4 low and 4 auto just to test all the stuff out.
Great! Thanks for the info. I have been easy when starting and driving. I figured trying things out would be ok too. We have been having bag weather so been in 4WD for days now. Just didn't know if that wouldn't be great for it...Thanks again!

DallanW

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was going to take it easy, no long freeway drives, going through the gears for the first thousand miles but the dealer told me only worry about it for the first 500 miles. I just cleared 500 miles but haven't really pushed it yet.

Sponsored

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I kept the rpm under 3k for the first 500. Just drove it normal, no hard braking or acceleration.
Did vary the rpm driving back roads and generally took it easy the first 1k.

Mikerkelly

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just kept mine under 3k RPM for the first 1000 miles. I live in a rural area and avoiding the highway wasn't really an option for me but 3k RPM allowed for 70-75mph no problem (I have the 2.7L). As soon as I hit 1000 miles I drove it like I stole it, lol. I didn't take it offroad until a couple weeks later which was when I used 4x4 and lockers for the first time. Getting close to 7000 miles now with no issues. Did my first oil change somewhere between 3000-4000 miles.

Reactions: 0ne

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I took mine on an open road course basically with 300 miles on it. The only time I really paid attention was on my F150 with the A10, that I did 1500 miles break-in process because well I was going to tow 8500 lb trailer. I also have a 2017 Mustang that I took to a track day with 1000 miles on it. 24,000 miles later its mint. just change the initial oil early, get rid of all the crap.

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

wish I could have broken mine in better but I had to take delivery and immediately drive 9 hours home. I was easy on the acceleration and have been to date (1500 miles now).

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

wish I could have broken mine in better but I had to take delivery and immediately drive 9 hours home. I was easy on the acceleration and have been to date (1500 miles now).
Granger customer?

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great! Thanks for the info. I have been easy when starting and driving. I figured trying things out would be ok too. We have been having bag weather so been in 4WD for days now. Just didn't know if that wouldn't be great for it...Thanks again!
Keep in mind you should never use 4H or 4L on pavement even if there's "bad weather." You still have traction even in rain or snow (and if you don't then you shouldn't be driving on that road anyways). Otherwise it will bind the drivetrain and cause damage. You should only use those modes on loose dirt, sand, mud, or snow when your tires are free to slip.

You should only use 4A if your Bronco has it.

This is actually a huge mistake I see tons of people making.

OP
OP
HomerJ

HomerJ

Wildtrak
First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Keep in mind you should never use 4H or 4L on pavement even if there's "bad weather." You still have traction even in rain or snow (and if you don't then you shouldn't be driving on that road anyways). Otherwise it will bind the drivetrain and cause damage. You should only use those modes on loose dirt, sand, mud, or snow when your tires are free to slip.

You should only use 4A if your Bronco has it.

This is actually a huge mistake I see tons of people making.
Yeah, that's what I've been using 4A. Just didn't want to keep using it everyday but it's been snowing all week and patches of ice in town so thought it was better than spinning in 2WD at the intersections in town. I also was concerned driving it at 45mph and higher while in 4A during this period. So that's why I wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Granger customer?
No but i did find a Bronco in MT that I flew up to grab. I never had a reservation or order so I had to look outside my city.
Sponsored