Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Does It Mean to be a JEEPER???
Mitch Creel has grown up in the Bronco community and has always wondered why there has been such a chasm between the Bronco and Jeep communities. We all appreciate the same thing don't we? Going off-road, having a blast, and supporting anyone we can along the way: that has been the heartbeat of the Bronco community for generations! Was it really that different in the Jeep world? As they say curiosity killed the cat, and Mitch wanted answers. So he headed up to Preston, ID in his 2021 Ford Bronco to meet up with some guys that would hopefully explain what all the hype was about.

The Jeep guys that met up with Mitch are none other than the
Peck Brothers. Cayleb, Alex, and Brady have grown up around Jeeps in a similar way that Mitch has grown up around Broncos. While Ford guys at heart, the Jeep was still their rig of choice when it came to rock crawling or "jeeping" as they call it. In this video, the Peck Bros share some insight into what it means to be a "Jeeper." And together, we explore the possibility that perhaps these two worlds aren't so different after all...

See you guys out on the trails.... PEACE

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey! This is a forum on the internet. There's no place for civility here... leave that for the trails. 😁

Many of us were or are Jeepers and I firmly believe that everyone is a fellow offroader on the trails. It's just like siblings, though, gotta sling a bit of mud at each other.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey! This is a forum on the internet. There's no place for civility here... leave that for the trails. 😁

Many of us were or are Jeepers and I firmly believe that everyone is a fellow offroader on the trails. It's just like siblings, though, gotta sling a bit of mud at each other.

Well put and very true.

When I drag raced a lot it was like a brotherhood, racers helping racers.

But I was sure to tell the chevy guys that their distributor was installed in the wrong end of the engine. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bleeding Ford blue since my 78 Granada. 🤘

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not to generalize - but I think this whole “my manufacturer can beat up your manufacturer” is traditionally a ”young buck” thing.

When you get to be my age - you’ve owned and offroaded in so many different vehicles over the course your life that you know it’s not the name that matters. Why would I slam Jeep when I have owned several and they kicked ass? Why would I slam Suzuki when I’ve got a trail Samurai parked out back that I just *LOVE* to take out? Fond memories of my old Land Cruiser. And my old IH Scout I had back in the 70’s. The list is endless.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you get to be my age - you’ve owned and offroaded in so many different vehicles over the course your life... Fond memories of my old Land Cruiser. And my old IH Scout I had back in the 70’s. The list is endless.
First offroading for me was the IH Scout, 1965, Sonora Desert with a mining research outfit. Different days, culture, everything. We just drove over everything, and heaved our trash everywhere. No shortage of rusting beer cans (boo!) or sun-bleached glass (yay!) out there. Of course, not that many people went deep off-road (and I mean off-offroad, crosscountry). More people now, more vehicles, more need for enviro-care ("tread lightly").
But man--those IH Scouts were wild fun for a 17-year-old kid. Sure loved working those three sticks. What a blast!
Ford Bronco Bringing Bronco & Jeepers Together Over Off-Roading 1675465215204

(stock photo)

Sponsored

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So true, former JK owner, still love Wranglers, but also love my Bronco. If I could afford it I would own both.

ScorpydJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to generalize - but I think this whole “my manufacturer can beat up your manufacturer” is traditionally a ”young buck” thing.

When you get to be my age - you’ve owned and offroaded in so many different vehicles over the course your life that you know it’s not the name that matters. Why would I slam Jeep when I have owned several and they kicked ass? Why would I slam Suzuki when I’ve got a trail Samurai parked out back that I just *LOVE* to take out? Fond memories of my old Land Cruiser. And my old IH Scout I had back in the 70’s. The list is endless.
True dat!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ditto the Scouts, the one that Ford copied to make the original Bronco (at least, that's my Spin).!

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ditto the Scouts, the one that Ford copied to make the original Bronco (at least, that's my Spin).!
Oh man…don’t get me going on the Scout. Those damn vacuum powered wipers. The spring perches that constantly break. Scouring the paper every Sunday looking for parts. Even if you didn’t need them because you knew you would eventually - and you’d never be able to find them when you did. But that little SOB would climb a tree if I asked it to!

But alas….it wasn’t a chick magnet so I moved on. Because ”chicks” were more important at that age.

Now…I’m old. And the wife wouldn’t let me chase the chicks anymore even if I wasn’t and I wish I had the Scout back.

Maybe that’s why I was so attracted to the 2 Door Bronco. I agree that Ford designers had to be looking at the Scout when they designed the original Bronco. Maybe, on some subconscious level, I was trying to get the old Scout back.

Sponsored

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What’s next, cat and dogs living in harmony? 😉

kidding aside, totally agree. I am a sports car guy too, and go to Cars-n-Coffee events all warm season-long. It doesn’t matter the cars that show, everyone loves their rides, and takes pride in showing them to all types of owners - muscle, classics, exotics, custom, its about loving cars and appreciating all of the different tastes out there. It’s fun to learn what everyone loves and “cross pollinate” those passions. No reason why the Bronco’s and Jeeps (and that 1 Discovery guy above ⬆ 😉), can’t meet together as well due to the very common passion: getting off the roads in cool, highly capable all-terrain vehicles, that tend to be customized and personalized at a higher percentage than other vehicles types. We have way more in common, than the difference of a nameplate.

(although that Jeep in the Thread-header appears to be sitting a little high, did they let it park on some phonebooks?)

Salt Shaker

Badlands
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 15 Jeep GC, 15 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Eh, Jeep guys are just sore that they are called Jeeps because of the Ford Willys GP.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s next, cat and dogs living in harmony? 😉

Absolutely!

It’s fun to learn what everyone loves and “cross pollinate” those passions. No reason why the Bronco’s and Jeeps (and that 1 Discovery guy above ⬆ 😉), can’t meet together as well due to the very common passion: getting off the roads in cool, highly capable all-terrain vehicles, that tend to be customized and personalized at a higher percentage than other vehicles types. We have way more in common, than the difference of a nameplate.
Many thoughts in this thread. Let's acknowledge that the Ford engineers went to the Wrangler and figured out, in terms of marketing and engineering, what (people think) Jeep did right, did wrong, included, or left out--and designed accordingly. Thus: the Bronco we love dearly.

So we owe a lot to the Jeep pedigree. Also, the Wrangler spawned a huge supply chain of aftermarket technology, accessories, and options: and we Bronco aficionadas are just catching up.

One last thought: when I'm checking out an area for offroading, I search "Jeep Trails," because they've already blazed those trails.

Tip of the hat to all you Jeepsters!

PS: It was an Explorer :rolleyes: that pulled me out of the muck in the playa off Utah's Pony Express Historic Byway.

Wereknight7

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep culture is a weird one around here. All the off road groups I've found around me only allow jeeps, and they have a list of models they limit to at that. "Factory open-top" jeeps only, I don't get it. Most of the off-roading I've done over the years was in an old farm truck or in the more recent years a company F-250. It's such a weird exclusion for a fairly niche hobby.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love all the old 4x4s. GM for some reason chose to resurrect Hummer as a bloated EV behemoth rather than the well designed (but victim to the economy) H3. Ram Chargers, K5 Blazers, Toyota FJs, Defenders all great in their own fashion. Jeep kept thing going when everybody else abandoned the market.
Sponsored