First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well today I received the prototype skid plates today from Broaddict.
Unfortunately they do not work on my BB. I guess Broaddict never thought to look at my Bronco and all the accessories installed before selecting me for testing these prototypes. First thing I noticed after I assembled the front bash plate was there is no recess for my oem dual front tow hooks that are equipped for the plastic bumper. Which still would of been ok to remove, but the tow hooks are also the radiator support mounts. Second thing is Broaddict did not account for or ask if my Bronco is lifted. I have a complete 5" Rough Country lift, with this lift you install both front and rear cross members for the LCA. Also diff drop bracket and diff skid plate. So the Broaddict engine skid plate will not accommodate this lift or any lift that involves dropping the diff and cross members I would assume. Even if I did remove my RC diff skid plate as the engine skid plate has a recessed opening for diff, I still wouldn't be able to reinstall my diff skid plate. Not to mention you can not bolt the bash and engine skid to the front oem cross member when you have drop cross members. There is not enough clearance in between both oem and RC cross member to install needed mounting bolts.

Now I took pictures of the two skid plates to show everyone. There is a couple of things to mention concerning this kit. First of all the black coating, it is paint, not powder coat. And there is no primer or or adhesion promoter for adherence of paint to metal. I noticed when I was brain storming while holding the bash plate in place that the paint chipped off of one corner from a simple metal to metal touching. Now this might be intentional due to being prototypes, but I would at least rather it been powder coated. Secondly, this kit weighed in at 18 pounds packaged, so maybe 15lbs naked. The material measured 1/8" thick, but very light metal, could be some sort of aluminum. Surely to me that it would not hold up to extreme to moderate climbing and crawling. Just my opinion as I've had a few skid plate kits in my time and the plates were heavier in wt and material being steel. I know being less weigh is a plus, but at what compromise, strength and capability?

I really don't see the use of cavities on the bash plate. Cavities to me spell weakness and possible hanging up on obstacles instead of a straight smooth transition for one to slide off of obstacles. Also the side ear plates on the front bash plate are bolted on. I also feel that this should of been 1 piece instead of 3 pieces.

Now I would assume that Broaddict will not want this kit sent back to them on there dime. I know I'm not going to flip the shipping bill back to China. So I would assume that if a member near me, that has a non lifted Bronco, 2.3L, 2dr, with a modular bumper (not plastic and dual tow hooks) would like to try this kit. I will communicate with Broaddict to confirm this and get back with the option to hand it off to a local member.

Pictures below....

IMG_20230215_154744.jpg

IMG_20230215_154727.jpg

IMG_20230215_154752.jpg

IMG_20230215_154817.jpg

IMG_20230215_154811.jpg

IMG_20230215_154805.jpg

IMG_20230215_154952.jpg

IMG_20230215_154851.jpg

IMG_20230215_154846.jpg

IMG_20230215_154913.jpg

IMG_20230215_154908.jpg

IMG_20230215_154901.jpg

IMG_20230215_154905.jpg

IMG_20230215_161312.jpg

IMG_20230215_161305.jpg

IMG_20230215_161259.jpg
Sponsored

Jander76

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are so many screaming issues with each product I see them announce - starting with the name.. that I wouldn't purchase in any circumstance - let alone what typically looks like a quick cash grab for low grade material. Just my preferences though :)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How about those welds? Some don't look that great in the pictures, and I wonder why they are so pieced together.

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
One of the things I dislike is the cavities, they are recessed in the wrong direction. If they going to add cavities on the front bash plate they need to turn them around so not to get hung up on obstacles.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Help me here. They sent you a prototype today and you’re out here on the forum trashing them out?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Help me here. They sent you a prototype today and you’re out here on the forum trashing them out?
I'm not trashing them. They asked me to write my opinion and findings. This is their expectation so for them to make improvements with the prototype.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
AEV makes IMO the best skid plates, unfortunately they have only made them for the GM Bisons. Hot stamped Boron steel, the jaws of life can’t get through, they absorb the hit and pop back in place and can handle a little over 200k pounds per square itch. Because it’s so strong they can make the skids thinner and therefor lighter and still is twice as strong as regular steel at the same thickness. CEO Dave said the rear differential skid on the Bison is 20lbs lighter than the regular steel one they make for the wrangler and it’s much stronger than that one too.

AEV takes a long time to make new products, but I can’t see them staying out of the Bronco market for long. The only thing they have for the Bronco right now is a diff cover, because they already made it for the same one on other products.

For now, I’m going to stick with the oem skids on my badlands until there is something much better out there.

Last edited:

BD6G

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I don’t feel like anyone’s trashing them. It is exactly what they requested in their thread offering to send to members here the skids for testing and honest feedback.

I think the items listed in the feedback are valid within the prototype phase and hopefully they are corrected before final product launch. I think this is what they’re looking for from the community to improve the product based on real world evaluation and use.

JojoReady

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not trashing them. They asked me to write my opinion and findings. This is their expectation so for them to make improvements with the prototype.
Ok, thanks, I got it. Usually companies put a prototype out to select customers and want direct feedback before it’s out there in the public domain.

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, thanks, I got it. Usually companies put a prototype out to select customers and want direct feedback before it’s out there in the public domain.
Its all good bud! They asked me to do a public posting, do a honest opinion and review and post pictures while out on trail use. Unfortunately it doesn't work with my Bronco, so the one thing I can't do is post pictures on the trail, like they wanted also. And I sent them a DM linking them to this thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok I received communication back from Broaddict, here is what they said concerning my write-up....

"Dear Bill,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions, i have viewed your article, it do exist some problems we need to fix them emergencily, i will express your valuable suggestions to our internal team, sorry for the imperfect of our testing product, we will improve this product according to your valuable feedbacks.
About this testing product, could you kindly find one of your firends who has the situable car model to install our Front skid plate and engine skid plate? we would like to see what will happen during the whole process of installation, we need your help to test our new product after all.
Thanks a lot for your support and valuable feedback here, it would be better for us if you could help us find someone to continue our product test project. looking forward to your kind reply.
Wish you a good day."

So with that said, if any member is near me, I will be happy to hand this kit off to you. Keep in mind, you Bronco needs to be 2dr, 2.3L, modular bumper equipped originally (aftermarket bumper ok) you just can't be equipped with oem dual front tow hooks, and no lift that involves lowered cross member and diff drop.

I live in Palm Harbor, Florida. I would consider driving halfway to meet you in Florida. Send me a DM if interested. Thanks

FYI, I am meeting a local Bronco club Down and Dirty locally on the 26th. Some are members here on this forum. I will ask anyone there if interested also.

OP
OP
Grumpy

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That was my thought- and he "forgot" to mention he had a drop diff kit!!!!
I do not understand your thought about drop diff I supposedly forgot to mention. To who?

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I do not understand your thought about drop diff I supposedly forgot to mention. To who?
That clearly any skid built for anything but specifically the RC drop diff kit wouldn't fit. I don't know if any other drop diff kits, but I would assume that a skid system build for the RC drop kit wouldn't fit any other drop kit. It dramatically changes all of the geometry of where the diff sits in relation to the frame.
Sponsored