Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was very impressed with the Hammerbuilt rear support plate, which I bought to mount the Rotopax Cans. How is the Hammerbuilt skid plate system, or which is best.

SmartSelect_20230327_070920_Gallery.jpg
I don't have their skids. Technically no products from them yet as I wait for the Raptor style hinges and uprated carrying capacity.

Personally I dont understand the rotopax for that configuration. You're exeeding the cost of a wavian can with that, for 20% less capacity and fragility by using rotopax.

1679922439297.png

The real question was - did you get a permit to drive on this road?

And, why no dogs, fires, or ATVs? It doesn't say no Broncos, lol.

I want to read some stories about people who've been caught on trail without documentation, lol.
you can pick up a day use pass for White Rim Trail (or many other trails) at rhe visitor center in Moab or by going online. Price is only $5 for day use.

And I don't want to read any stories on here of people violating our national parks rules, or BLM regulations. Do you want to get trails shut down? Because that is how you get trails shut down.

Please don't be "that guy". Go buy a small UTV and blast around ruining the area, that is the population base doing its utmost to get trails shut down.

Well I'm mega jelly now and this just makes the next month of waiting grind extra slow.

How many hours drive time was White Rim? Is my plan of doing it in a single day too ambitious?
Screen grab at the Maverick in Moab. That's Maverick to Maverick, 2 days of driving the White Rim Trail.

Note that for many of the group stops I kept the Bronco idling and didnt get out due to a spinal injury. Love me some heated seat when in pain!

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230321_162551

Single day White Rim trial isn't overly ambitious. It's been done before. You will have to plan it though. Trails were rough after weeks of rain, so unless it's dry for a few weeks before you hit the trail, it will be rough. Plus the speed limit is 15 mph, so you can't really "make up time" for the pucker-pass portions.

Also, you can only drive between sunrise and sunset (according to the regs) so you should be gassed up and at the trailhead exactly at sunrise. And I don't mean at the gas station at sunrise. It could be 35-40 minutes of driving from Moab to the Mineral Bottom trailhead, at least 3p min from Moab to the Canyonlands visitor center and Shafer trailhead and you will want to be there, aired down and chomping at the bit the minute of sunrise.

The biggest factor for you is that there are soooooooooo many amazingly beautiful places to stop and admire the beauty of the trail and Canyons. You'll be skipping that to make good time. For me, that's a dealbreaker and I would alter my plan as such:

Do I want to see the beauty of White Rim Trail?

YES!

Do I have the permitting/time to make it a 2-day drive?

NO!

Then make it a 1-day down and back, going out for about 4 hours and turn-around at lunch.

Suggestion:

1. For maximum Vista views and beauty, I would enter/exit from Shafer pass (and pick up whatever @broadicustomworks hid for you in the vault toilet). Shafer pass is friken beautiful!

2. For maximum anal leakage, danger, and mountain pass thrills, enter from Mineral Bottom Road. You'll get the mountain pass twice, but you won't get to see much of the Canyons due to how slow the pass will be (twice).

Personally, I would go the clockwise route for a 1 day. You aren't doing White Rim specifically for "wheeling", you're going for the beauty. You can definitely find more challenging wheeling elsewhere, but you won't find the views on those trails. (Sorry my cell phone skills won't do the views justice)
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Rick Astley thanks, that's helpful insight. There's 4 rigs in our White Rim group so I guess we'll put it to vote whether we do the loop or down and back. I'm camping the night before at Dead Horse, 15 minutes from the Canyonland entrance.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Rick Astley thanks, that's helpful insight. There's 4 rigs in our White Rim group so I guess we'll put it to vote whether we do the loop or down and back. I'm camping the night before at Dead Horse, 15 minutes from the Canyonland entrance.
Not everything is a democracy. Sometimes the stunning views outweigh any vote.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't have their skids. Technically no products from them yet as I wait for the Raptor style hinges and uprated carrying capacity.

Personally I dont understand the rotopax for that configuration. You're exeeding the cost of a wavian can with that, for 20% less capacity and fragility by using rotopax.

you can pick up a day use pass for White Rim Trail (or many other trails) at rhe visitor center in Moab or by going online. Price is only $5 for day use.

And I don't want to read any stories on here of people violating our national parks rules, or BLM regulations. Do you want to get trails shut down? Because that is how you get trails shut down.

Please don't be "that guy". Go buy a small UTV and blast around ruining the area, that is the population base doing its utmost to get trails shut down.

Screen grab at the Maverick in Moab. That's Maverick to Maverick, 2 days of driving the White Rim Trail.

Note that for many of the group stops I kept the Bronco idling and didnt get out due to a spinal injury. Love me some heated seat when in pain!

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230321_162551

Single day White Rim trial isn't overly ambitious. It's been done before. You will have to plan it though. Trails were rough after weeks of rain, so unless it's dry for a few weeks before you hit the trail, it will be rough. Plus the speed limit is 15 mph, so you can't really "make up time" for the pucker-pass portions.

Also, you can only drive between sunrise and sunset (according to the regs) so you should be gassed up and at the trailhead exactly at sunrise. And I don't mean at the gas station at sunrise. It could be 35-40 minutes of driving from Moab to the Mineral Bottom trailhead, at least 3p min from Moab to the Canyonlands visitor center and Shafer trailhead and you will want to be there, aired down and chomping at the bit the minute of sunrise.

The biggest factor for you is that there are soooooooooo many amazingly beautiful places to stop and admire the beauty of the trail and Canyons. You'll be skipping that to make good time. For me, that's a dealbreaker and I would alter my plan as such:

Do I want to see the beauty of White Rim Trail?

YES!

Do I have the permitting/time to make it a 2-day drive?

NO!

Then make it a 1-day down and back, going out for about 4 hours and turn-around at lunch.

Suggestion:

1. For maximum Vista views and beauty, I would enter/exit from Shafer pass (and pick up whatever @broadicustomworks hid for you in the vault toilet). Shafer pass is friken beautiful!

2. For maximum anal leakage, danger, and mountain pass thrills, enter from Mineral Bottom Road. You'll get the mountain pass twice, but you won't get to see much of the Canyons due to how slow the pass will be (twice).

Personally, I would go the clockwise route for a 1 day. You aren't doing White Rim specifically for "wheeling", you're going for the beauty. You can definitely find more challenging wheeling elsewhere, but you won't find the views on those trails. (Sorry my cell phone skills won't do the views justice)
Appreciate knowing about the Wavian 5.3 gallon. What I have (2 gallon jugs) is versatile, I can run water or gasoline or both, and I also have the side racks on the TrailRax half-rak if I want them. Bottom line, though is that at 70 years old I can't sling around a 5 gallon gas can like I used to, or hold it mid air while filling a car, boat, etc.

OP
OP
broadicustomworks

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ALSO wish we had more time to stop.
Technically I guess we did, but being the guy setting the pace, I wondered many times "Is this too fast? Too slow? Does anyone need to stop/want to stop?"

In my opinion would I want to do White Rim in a single 10-12 hr day of JUST driving? No.
No way. I mean, you'd see the sights and "wow" at some stuff, but simply would not have time to get out and really take it in like it deserves.
No telling what we missed.
Those people doing a 4-day run had ooooodles of time.

My opinion is the same as Ricks.
IF you are going to devote a day, devote it to the 1st half coming from Shafer. Maybe go past the Hogback so you can descend the far side for fun, turn around and come back.
Sure, you miss the more technical stuff, you miss the Green River (looks like the Colorado, only not brown and muddy). But the best views/scenery/backgrounds (in my opinion) are on the first half anyway.
If you feel cheated out of what it has, or wonder what you missed, come back after your scheduled trails and do that other half from Mineral Bottom end.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's not my preference to do it in a single day but there was no camping available so I have to make do. It's possible that I never it make it back with a 6G.
Another big thing to keep in mind is that if you are running even a little bit behind schedule (and assuming you're starting on the east end of the trail), you will be running up against the hardscrabble area in the dark.

I would *highly advise* against attempting that section in the dark. I'm sure that it can be done by those that have done it a few times, but making a mistake out there by us noobs could prove fatal. Get there during the day.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Another big thing to keep in mind is that if you are running even a little bit behind schedule (and assuming you're starting on the east end of the trail), you will be running up against the hardscrabble area in the dark.

I would *highly advise* against attempting that section in the dark. I'm sure that it can be done by those that have done it a few times, but making a mistake out there by us noobs could prove fatal. Get there during the day.
Hardscrabble you say?

Oh, fair note we learned as a group: the trail cameras in the High/Lux package are absolutely wonderful when driving on shear cliffs with lots of blind crests and rises.

Or you hang half your body out the drivers window and drive with 1 hand and one foot like @618TRVLWILD .

Different strokes for different folks!

JDav

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sunset at Dead Horse point was my favorite spot of my Moab/Arches/Canyonlands trip last summer.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sunset at Dead Horse point was my favorite spot of my Moab/Arches/Canyonlands trip last summer.
Awesome! I hear the sunrise at Mesa Arch half hour away is also spectacular.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IF you are going to devote a day, devote it to the 1st half coming from Shafer. Maybe go past the Hogback so you can descend the far side for fun, turn around and come back.
What's your estimate for time doing this way?

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, we all had permits.
It's a national park, so no fires. And the no dogs bit has to do with protecting the cyanobacteria in the ecosystem. A bit much, but at least there's an actual reason.
And we actually did have a fire, just brought a portable propane fire pit.

We had some discussions leading up to all this about making sure we were compliant with everything and what to do if we encountered any difficult rangers. Didn't see a ranger the whole time. I think we only saw 6 other vehicles the whole trail.
Its the same problem on East Coast ocean beaches. The anti-beach buggy crowd has been chipping away at available beach for decades. And so many visitors are on the beaches, there's often no room. Some ORV beaches are now only open in the off season (eg, October to April) others only to anglers with full gear actively fishing, others local homeowners, others closed. A few hot doggers driving too fast (speed limit on beaches shared with pedestrians 15-20mph max) or on the fragile dunes just makes it worse. Permits are typically in the $150-$250 range for the season. A few are free. My Beach ORV range is from Florida to Cape Cod. Below, Emerald Isle, NC, $175 non-resident fee, September-April).

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230309_165134

Last edited:
OP
OP
broadicustomworks

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's your estimate for time doing this way?
It took us 5 hours and 15 minutes roughly to go from the White Rim sign there at Shafer/Potash/WR to the campsite at Murphy's.
We stopped probably 10 times to grab pics, bathroom, socialize ranging from a 5 minute stop to a few 20 minute stops.
So even with some leisurely sightseeing I don't see why you couldn't down-n-back in 10-10.5 hours.
But keep in mind the trek down Potash is another 2 hours to pavement if you go that route exiting.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It took us 5 hours and 15 minutes roughly to go from the White Rim sign there at Shafer/Potash/WR to the campsite at Murphy's.
We stopped probably 10 times to grab pics, bathroom, socialize ranging from a 5 minute stop to a few 20 minute stops.
So even with some leisurely sightseeing I don't see why you couldn't down-n-back in 10-10.5 hours.
But keep in mind the trek down Potash is another 2 hours to pavement if you go that route exiting.
Thanks. Sounds like a smart plan then. 35 more days, I can't wait.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd love to do Moab sometime. Never did rocks until Texas Off-Roadeo. All my ORV has been sand and snow. I would certainly need a guide or group to go with in Moab!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Splashing the thread with a few random pics of the drive.

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230320_113422

^ Muscleman Arch: better than most Arches in Arches NP.

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230321_130456

Beginning the final leg of White Rim Trail where the trail gets tight. @618TRVLWILD

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230322_151503

Technically Chicken Corners with @talbot , but this big, beautiful Barry-like rock formation would be right up @HotdogThud Alley!

Ford Bronco Broadicustomworks (and B6G friends) venture to Moab 20230321_130343

@Kickit @HotdogThud @Natai
Sponsored