Sponsored

Broke down today and checked out a Wrangler…

Sponticore

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My two feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We found a 2005 tj with low low kms and almost no rust, were picking it up tomorrow. We need a vehicle. I'm still getting a Bronco but yeah, new jeeps don't even come close. (I too looked at a new one and puked in my mouth)
Sponsored

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My family and I have had horrible luck with Chrysler products and the one Wrangler I've driven, a very low miles rental, was one of the least comfortable and most annoying vehicles I've ever driven. So while the tinker toy nature of Wranglers is appealing and there are a lot of cool looking ones out there. I've got very little, bordering on 0, interest in ever owning a Wrangler. I'd be way more likely to get a 4Runner and may have already done so it the platform wasn't so old and dated, not to mention underpowered and horrible MPG.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I've mentioned in a few threads (not trying to run it into the ground),
I made the decision to tap into my Bronco funds and go ahead and get a Jeep I could pay cash for, take on trails, enjoy the top/doors off lifestyle until (hopefully) next early summer when I get my build.

It is better than I thought it would be, as it has been over 15 years since I had a Wrangler. And that one was a trouble-laden YJ I loved at first and on rare occasion afterwards, but hated most days.

So into an already-modified with good parts 2001 TJ I ended up in.
And I have had an absolute blast in it all summer.

Took the half doors off frequently (it takes like 20 seconds, so an easy decision), took the windows out frequently, then back in June sometime I stored the doors and windows, dropped the top, and it's been down the whole time.
I love it.
When the time comes to get the Bronco the plan was to sell it and recoup the funds easily.

But now I don't know if I want to give it up, thinking it would be nice to have both...

IF I were to get a new one, it would be a Gladiator Mojave. I know all about the compromises with the design and know going in I would sacrifice some departure angle and have a long-ish wheelbase issue on trails.

On that same thought, I also know that if I did go get one and make the payments, it would be difficult to let it go and go with the Bronco, unless the market is there to not lose any money in the interim.
Decisions, decisions, right?!

It's why I ended up going for cheaper, cash-paid off road driver in the end.
Beats a monthly payment I'd be spending vs. saving it, hoping that the market is still up in a year or more from now.
At least in my head, anyway.
Dave, we looked for a pre-owned Jeep before buying our new JL. The prices were way up there for sure, so we decided to just buy new. I really don't think the market price for pre-owned Jeeps will fall much in the next year to year and a half. The Broncos just aren't getting to market fast enough right now to drive the Jeep prices lower. Now, that's my story, and I'm stickin' buy it. Fingers, toes crossed, and all that stuff. :)

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Kinda psychotic to wake up wanting to buy a jeep wrangler out of spite and anger.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well here it is. My biggest problem... I've spent the last year and a half of my life reading Bronco forums every morning and so I know nothing about a Wrangler :)

20210820_062811.jpg
It's a pretty simple machine brother. When changing from 2H to 4H/L I found it easier to slow to a roll, put the tranny in neutral, then pull that little lever. They say the JL can be changed on the fly if you let off the gas under some speed that I can't recall, and it will. I just find it easier my way. Enjoy.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I woke up fed up with the fact I wont get a vehicle for close to 2 years as my reservation was on Oct 3rd. I checked out all the different things I want in a vehicle and still was not able to find something that would fill my Bronco void. So, I went to the Jeep dealer… there was nothing there but a promise I would have one in a month or two. Having had Ford F150s since 2000, it is safe to say I am a loyalist. The few Jeeps that were there just wouldnt fill the void. I went back home. Determined to wait it out. Long story short. Ford… you have me… be gentle… my psyche cant hold out for too long without my Bronco.
TWO YEARS?? you are probably the perfect candidate for the F-150 Lightning !

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Steve,

c5hps6whp3lxb0jvlw5nn7c9hixkgq5wksl5auzp&rid=giphy.gif

and...

o8o14f3899mregg1vp81bm15yzu7283kbwr9bkk2&rid=giphy.gif

SolarWizard

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator // 2 door Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FIrst and last time I rode in a Jeep the entire thing shook bad. Everything vibrated far beyond what I would call safe. Last time I ride in one. I wouldn't even buy one if it was the only off-road SUV.
You realize a poorly maintained bronco will do this also, right?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dave, we looked for a pre-owned Jeep before buying our new JL. The prices were way up there for sure, so we decided to just buy new. I really don't think the market price for pre-owned Jeeps will fall much in the next year to year and a half. The Broncos just aren't getting to market fast enough right now to drive the Jeep prices lower. Now, that's my story, and I'm stickin' buy it. Fingers, toes crossed, and all that stuff. :)
No judgement here, my friend.

They are definitely up there. I've been looking for a 2nd one to paint-n-flip or give to my daughter and sell the Cobra.
I should have no issue making profit in a year if I decide to sell.
Occasionally you'll find a decent rust-free, under 200k mile TJ pop up for less than $10K, but rarely, and they are gone within a day.

I know I'd probably be fine recouping cost if I bought new...but man, I don;t want the payments, and honestly, don't need the temptation of a good driving, (relatively, compared to my TJ) cushy competitor to draw my desire away from the 6G...

I figure if I drive something less refined for a year, I'll appreciate what the Bronc brings to the table all that much more.

And long for the simple, mechanical nature of the TJ for some trails as well.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No judgement here, my friend.

They are definitely up there. I've been looking for a 2nd one to paint-n-flip or give to my daughter and sell the Cobra.
I should have no issue making profit in a year if I decide to sell.
Occasionally you'll find a decent rust-free, under 200k mile TJ pop up for less than $10K, but rarely, and they are gone within a day.

I know I'd probably be fine recouping cost if I bought new...but man, I don;t want the payments, and honestly, don't need the temptation of a good driving, (relatively, compared to my TJ) cushy competitor to draw my desire away from the 6G...

I figure if I drive something less refined for a year, I'll appreciate what the Bronc brings to the table all that much more.

And long for the simple, mechanical nature of the TJ for some trails as well.
On man, selling the Cobra. I sold my old '06 GT in 2019 to a fella with more dollars than sense. I have missed that little car every day since. Also, it seems down here in the falt lands of NC it's getting difficult to find a pre-owned Jeep worth buying. I've seen a couple, but they have been modded a bit. I'm hesitant to buy something already modded, because I don't know who did the mods, and if they were done right. You know, buying someones elses problems, and all that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncodude@

Broncodude@

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have to admit I have been interested in more info on an extreme recon edition, but sadly it is only offered in a 4 door. I have had a Wrangler for many years and currently have 2005 LJ which I have customized a lot over the years. Including leather seats, MOPAR crate engine 1200 miles ago, Banks header and monster exhaust, 2.5 inch lift, GPS, with back up camera and not to mention a complete truck conversion. But HELL YES I am ready to switch to a Bronco!

Ford Bronco Broke down today and checked out a Wrangler… o8o14f3899mregg1vp81bm15yzu7283kbwr9bkk2&rid=giphy
That thing is beautiful!

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was going to test drive a Gladiator today right after i took a BaseSquatch for a ride. Got done with the Bronco and went straight home. Forgot all about the Jeep ride until i just saw this thread. That speaks volumes. ;)

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On man, selling the Cobra. I sold my old '06 GT in 2019 to a fella with more dollars than sense. I have missed that little car every day since. Also, it seems down here in the falt lands of NC it's getting difficult to find a pre-owned Jeep worth buying. I've seen a couple, but they have been modded a bit. I'm hesitant to buy something already modded, because I don't know who did the mods, and if they were done right. You know, buying someones elses problems, and all that.
I get it.
Buying one modded isn't necessarily a bad thing. You just kinda have to do the homework ahead of time and know what names in add-ons are high quality an which ones are crap.
This one was modded with a 4" Skyjacker (name brand, decent quality, not a Rough Country but not a Metalcloak either) lift, Name brand Arms, axles, gears, lockers, driveshafts, etc. All suspension and steering parts new and upgraded. And it was ALL new. Frame was solid and clean, underneath was solid and clean. The first mud it saw after all of that was what I put it in. I could tell by looking at it they didn't really cut any corners, and it drives better than any Jeep I've ever been in, so I felt confident they did it correctly as well.
But I did have to paint it, couldn't help it! That paint-brush applied matte silver just wasn't going to work.

Ford Bronco Broke down today and checked out a Wrangler… New headlights and turns

For what the individual components would have cost, plus install, I made out pretty well on it.

But buying an original you stand a lot higher chance of it being taken care of and not dogged out.

Main thing I see in my short time of getting reacquainted with the Jeeping world is fairly common frame rust directly under the floors, the floors themselves, skid plate-to-frame surfaces, and the body mounts.
If you can find a good, solid one with the 4.0 that doesn't smoke or knock, it's a high percentage chance you've found one that will last ya for a good long while.

Long post, figured I'd share for whoever is looking around out there for something non-financed.

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We reserved our Bronco at the end of September with a hard top so we are expecting a late 22 as well. We got tired of waiting and our Land Rover was giving us problems so we went out and bought an 18 JLU last weekend. I must say so far we love it! We are still holding our Bronco order and will likely trade in the Wrangler when it comes in but I have joked with my wife that I may keep the wrangler for myself and she can have the Bronco :ROFLMAO: The wrangler is a manual tranny, which is what we ordered in the Bronco so I figure this will help us determine if we really want a manual long term.
Ford Bronco Broke down today and checked out a Wrangler… 96D12D9F-5889-4321-8C71-2D9BC41BBEAF
Ford Bronco Broke down today and checked out a Wrangler… C3ADBEA3-69B0-40B1-A5E2-C4C5B4904DC2

BernieB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife has a 19 Wrangler. We put 35" Goodyear tires on it and a 2" lift kit. Looks great but is a little shaky.

That car is why I am going to wait it out the multiple delays in getting my Bronco.
Sponsored