Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You don't need that , just get 3 batteries, small cable jumpers to link in series, a set of jumper cables (car jumpers) and some 7014 rod and a hood or several sunglasses ;)
there goes the payload. 🤪 I still think it would be cool to have a plug and a system that will run a 120v mig.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there goes the payload. 🤪 I still think it would be cool to have a plug and a system that will run a 120v mig.
Not if you are with 3+ vehicles. Always safety in numbers ;)

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nope, slid into a ditch
Well that sucks, but depending on how the wheel hit, I can see a tie rod snapping pretty easily with a side impact like that.

#BellyBuster

First Name
Javster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I [drive] my wife, crazy!
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That sucks! Especially when the manufacturer/dealership avoids honoring the warranty. Manhattan Beach Ford here in LA, Ca. replaced my engine after the piston shattered, and the rod decided to hug the crank, at only 800mi on the odo. Don't know how that could've happened while off road!

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think it was a simple matter of the tire suddenly getting traction, or aggressive steering.

It looked to me like the truck was coming down pretty fast, and the distance between the logs was just a little bit shorter than the wheelbase. That heavy rig coming down hard while the logs are trying to spread your legs with the only thing stopping them from spreading your wheelbase being the tie-rod. That's why the wheel shot forward so hard. It was under extreme force. Imagine trying to do the splits slowly. Pretty uncomfortable. No Imagine dropping from standing height into a split. RIP.

Just because it's a prefabricated obstacle that doesn't look tough doesn't make it so. There are some extreme forces being applied to that truck on that obstacle.

You can reinforce every part on the truck until the only thing left to break is the frame. Like others have said, let the weak link be the cheap part That's easy to fix.
This is exactly what happened. I bet you could hit that obstacle easily with a 2 door without breaking anything.
This is a very shitty, man made obstacle. Many times you'll come up to a ledge with both front end real wheels at the same time, which can be difficult and may likely need a decent bump, especially muddy...
But exactly right what you said, 5000Lbs on slippery logs RIGHT inside the wheelbase.
If you're running this obstacle, I would be taking it zig-zag and not straight on.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, as expected, that tiny little threaded tie rod on the rack and pinion was the weak point. Hardly even sent it but as my tire crested the top of the log, the force on the back of the wheel snapped the tie rod. I could be wrong here but I don’t feel I was even ragging on it. What’s the fix? Clearly a new OEM rack just won’t do.

cfa77168-4aa7-4dbf-b7f5-4bc794823215-jpeg.jpg

823a2ae3-92c7-4fae-b585-5e11f5fe7d9f-jpeg.jpg

1e9f6a07-3a31-4747-86a1-f5c8fb701609-jpeg.jpg

I'm sorry that happened to your new truck. I have to say that wasn't even a real reason to snap a tie rod like that. I could see it getting bent or something but the obvious issue is the hardness of the rod combined with the undercut of the thread has caused an incredibly weak spot in what is arguably one of the more important features of any vehicle aside from an off-road one at that. Steering isn't a place to screw around with safety and that is just unsafe.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sorry that happened to your new truck. I have to say that wasn't even a real reason to snap a tie rod like that. I could see it getting bent or something but the obvious issue is the hardness of the rod combined with the undercut of the thread has caused an incredibly weak spot in what is arguably one of the more important features of any vehicle aside from an off-road one at that. Steering isn't a place to screw around with safety and that is just unsafe.
Please re-read @BOT_ROCKET explanation and re-watch the vid 👍

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What the f*ck did they build that piece from, balsa wood? FFS, Ford, you want to push this as a Wrangler competitor, it's got to be able to handle the simple shit like this. Just embarrassing.
On the other hand I replaced all four ball joints AND the tie rod ends on my Rubicon at 9 thousand miles because it became totally un drivable. Denied warranty.

Sponsored

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m curious, how does this steering system compare with the F150 raptor? I haven’t heard these issues with that model and it’s IFS running on 37’s now

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That shouldn't have broken from that lame ass activity.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry I don't agree here. The engineers at Ford know both the tie rods and the steering rack assembly are too weak as designed. They learned it in testing and that's why they've reengineered a new solution for the Raptor which is stronger. Yeah you do want the weaker link to be the tie rod, but you don't want it to snap off quite that easily especially on stock wheels and tires. It shouldn't be a brittle component! What happens when you're on the freeway after a day of wheeling and maybe you've stressed the rods just a bit too much but not enough to snap it. Then you're doing 65 or more, likely more, on the way home. Pot hole in the road comes up and snap. Tie rod doesn't bend it fractures like this one and you're rolling that rig. Sorry that's not safe. The trucks are going off road. They have marketed them for this from day one and continue at every chance they get. Had you been wheeling that day and the tie rod gotten bent instead of just hairline fractured you would know it when the steering didn't line up right. And then it would be up to you to decide to fix it, replace it, or to drive it damaged. Build a better steering system and fix the brittle tie rods. Lives will depend on it.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry I don't agree here. The engineers at Ford know both the tie rods and the steering rack assembly are too weak as designed. They learned it in testing and that's why they've reengineered a new solution for the Raptor which is stronger. Yeah you do want the weaker link to be the tie rod, but you don't want it to snap off quite that easily especially on stock wheels and tires. It shouldn't be a brittle component! What happens when you're on the freeway after a day of wheeling and maybe you've stressed the rods just a bit too much but not enough to snap it. Then you're doing 65 or more, likely more, on the way home. Pot hole in the road comes up and snap. Tie rod doesn't bend it fractures like this one and you're rolling that rig. Sorry that's not safe. The trucks are going off road. They have marketed them for this from day one and continue at every chance they get. Had you been wheeling that day and the tie rod gotten bent instead of just hairline fractured you would know it when the steering didn't line up right. And then it would be up to you to decide to fix it, replace it, or to drive it damaged. Build a better steering system and fix the brittle tie rods. Lives will depend on it.
Been mentioned earlier...he probably fucked it on the first or third or fourth log set he went over....or the second to last one that he tried three times to get over and failed...
🤷
The Raptor is getting stronger steering gear because it can be spec'd with 37's
Maybe just to buy a Jeep or Raptor. Seeing 3 tie rod failures on the Bronco apparently has you worried.
Sponsored