Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Bronco hasn't even been delivered yet I'm already thinking of ordering this module along with a fuel pump.... By the time either one comes in I'll know if I need it or not :)
Sponsored

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi - maybe a dumb question at this point but what does APIM stand for?

I have a 10/31 build week assigned and man I hope I don't have to deal with this issue when it gets here...

Have the APIMs come back into stock yet and showing available?

Does anyone know what is causing the Bronco APIMs to fail?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow great job with pioneering everything here!!!

Curious, do you still plan to let the dealer/yourself swap in the actual Bronco APIM when it comes in or are you satisfied with this one for the foreseeable future?

KellStir

Badlands
First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion; Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been waiting on an APIM since May. Finally came in last week and when they swapped it out, they (dealership) couldn't program it for some reason, or the programming wasn't working. They also said it threw some error code they had never seen. So, they have to call Ford to try to figure out what's going on. FML
Service guy said I can come get my Bronco while I wait for them to figure it out, but that I would be without a radio. I said, dude, I haven't had a radio in 6 months. He was like, really? OMG - Makes me want to do the work myself. Maybe I should do what OP did.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi - maybe a dumb question at this point but what does APIM stand for?

I have a 10/31 build week assigned and man I hope I don't have to deal with this issue when it gets here...

Have the APIMs come back into stock yet and showing available?

Does anyone know what is causing the Bronco APIMs to fail?
APIM = Accessory Protocol Interface Module. It’s the module (brains) that manages all of the interfaces with components feeding information to the 8” or 12” SYNC 4 screen in the middle of the dash. The APIM sits right behind the screen, so the dash has to be disassembled to remove and install it.

No one here really knows the root cause of the failures, but I suspect Ford knows, based on some recent feedback from dealer service department personnel suggesting it’s a software problem (not hardware). Information from my vehicle history report suggests that my module may have been bricked during a failed Over-The-Air (OTA) software update.

I’m sitting in the lobby at my dealership right now, nervously waiting for my APIM installation to be completed. It took approximately 2 months for the part to arrive. 😬 🙏

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m sitting in the lobby at my dealership right now, nervously waiting for my APIM installation to be completed. It took approximately 2 months for the part to arrive. 😬 🙏
Successful transplant! Yay! :cool:

Ford Bronco Broken APIM Black screen Band-Aid 74DC3399-E225-4747-851B-FEB7974B0E2D

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
APIM = Accessory Protocol Interface Module. It’s the module (brains) that manages all of the interfaces with components feeding information to the 8” or 12” SYNC 4 screen in the middle of the dash. The APIM sits right behind the screen, so the dash has to be disassembled to remove and install it.

No one here really knows the root cause of the failures, but I suspect Ford knows, based on some recent feedback from dealer service department personnel suggesting it’s a software problem (not hardware). Information from my vehicle history report suggests that my module may have been bricked during a failed Over-The-Air (OTA) software update.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and congrats on the working APIM :)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I can see a software update getting corrupted, but you would think a reflash or something would fix that.

Why is an actual piece of hardware having to be replaced due to a corrupted software update?

That's like saying your Windows 10 got corrupted so you have to throw away the computer?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I can see a software update getting corrupted, but you would think a reflash or something would fix that.

Why is an actual piece of hardware having to be replaced due to a corrupted software update?

That's like saying your Windows 10 got corrupted so you have to throw away the computer?
Thats what I was thinking.

TheJess

Badlands
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been waiting on an APIM since May. Finally came in last week and when they swapped it out, they (dealership) couldn't program it for some reason, or the programming wasn't working. They also said it threw some error code they had never seen. So, they have to call Ford to try to figure out what's going on. FML
Service guy said I can come get my Bronco while I wait for them to figure it out, but that I would be without a radio. I said, dude, I haven't had a radio in 6 months. He was like, really? OMG - Makes me want to do the work myself. Maybe I should do what OP did.
Did you just work with dealer directly, or were you making calls to Ford along the way, too? I took delivery on my Badlands two weeks ago, I have 300 miles on a truck I waited two years for, and now I've got the black screen of death. I tried to act surprised when service called me (after 4 days of silence) about it being a bad APIM, but I am being told it's on back order with no estimated delivery. It's like waiting for the Bronco all over again. Wondering how patient I should be. Adding @Razorbak86 too.

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm curious if the Lightning gets a different APIM. Work offered me one and let me go on a little joyride, one of the things I noticed is despite it and my Bronco both being 2022s with 12" screens, the overall look-and-feel is slightly different.

The Bronco doesn't have rounded buttons or a "Where to?" on its map view.

What's kind of funny is the 54-pin connector on the sync4 is the same as the one on Sync 3, and Sync 2, and the old school Sync 1 where it was just Bluetooth and USB audio. Pinouts changed but the physical connector is unchanged across 15 years and 4 generations

PXL_20220819_212300977_1.jpg

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you just work with dealer directly, or were you making calls to Ford along the way, too? I took delivery on my Badlands two weeks ago, I have 300 miles on a truck I waited two years for, and now I've got the black screen of death. I tried to act surprised when service called me (after 4 days of silence) about it being a bad APIM, but I am being told it's on back order with no estimated delivery. It's like waiting for the Bronco all over again. Wondering how patient I should be. Adding @Razorbak86 too.
I've been waiting since August. I had my Bronco sit at the dealership a month while driving an Explorer loaner. I took my Bronco back a few weeks ago and just drive without the screen. It's frustrating and i hope the part comes soon.

KellStir

Badlands
First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion; Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve just been dealing with the the dealership. I just opened a conversation with Ford in here. So far, just talking to their social media person who says she’s gathering info to send to someone else I guess.
The dealership is saying they are waiting on Ford to get back to them about why the new APIM isn’t working and the unknown (to them) error code. They’ve had my Bronco for nine days now. I did get a loaner EcoSport a couple days ago. But still, would rather have my $60k Bronco back. When I get it back with a working screen, it will be like getting a new car all over again.

KellStir

Badlands
First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion; Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, now the dealership says the APIM fixed the screen, but that the audio module is shot, and they have to order that, which of course is backordered. I didn't get the exact name of the module, but they said something about it being located under the car near the back, and even they thought it was a strange place for an electronic part that is likely going to get wet. Has anyone else had that issue?

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs