Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The TJ came with two rear axles, normal was a Dana 35 which was c-clip, and the Rubicon came with a D44, which is not c-clip. C-clip means the axle shaft is retained in the housing a c-clip at the end of the axle shaft, inside the carrier. Non c-clip, like a D44 or the M220 (since it's a derivative of the D44) has a retainer plate on the outside at the end of the housing. Break a c-clip axle and it will slide out, unless it has disc brakes then the caliper will try to hold it in. The M220 should be non c-clip, plus we have disc brakes. Should be pretty hard to break that 32 spline axle unless we run bigger tires, bounce it and get unlucky.
Yeah, our tire and wheel came off with the axle in on piece.
Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Front axles cannot be fully removed, as the hub bearing will fall apart without the axle bolted thru. You coulj remove the axle, dismantle the end joint and bolt just the end back in, but trail spare is way easier.
I forgot the Bronco has the POS pressed together unit wheel bearings like a newer Ranger and most modern things. My F-150 has the POS bolt on unit wheel bearing assemblies.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just finished reading through this thread.
I don't see any reason to think this is anything but a defect. Really sucks for the OP, but it was going to happen to someone. Worst bit is having to wait for parts.
Please keep us updated. Has your dealer (or Ford) given you any difficulties getting this taken care of under warranty?

We’ve seen axle problems, ABS sensor issues, roof issues…

Is the number of issues being reported with very early deliveries reason to be concerned?

Is this why people generally avoid first year production?
With one exception, I haven't seen anything yet that would make me worry about first year production. Some vehicles will always have defective parts, and we are going to hear about those here, especially with so many of us still eager to suck up any scrap of information.

As long as Ford (and dealers) are quickly fixing/replacing defective parts without pointing the finger at the owner, I don't see an issue.

The single issue that appears to go beyond this is the MIC tops. And that seems to be less of a 'first year' problem and more of a 'bad supplier' problem. (Though Ford QC and possibly the design being so unforgiving of defects are also issues here.)

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

complete set up (if priced like the Raptor) is just under 3K.
If you want just half shafts made from stronger material, and fit in the OEM CVs it’s more like $700-1500.

question is if the RCV CVs are any better than OEM ones. 🤷‍♂️

https://www.rcvperformance.com/ultimate-ifs-cv-axle-set-for-ford-f-150-raptor.html

I'm confused here. Your second sentence says IF the RCV CV's are any better than OEM ones.

Then posted the link to RCV which states .............

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L 1627154224181

Last sentence says it all.

So it is clear to everyone who reads here. RCV is use by probably 90% of the Ultra4 cars, goatman your thoughts????, you will not have a problem with RCV's they stand behind their product. Very similar to BDS.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L 1627154474614

one side note, if you meant the ford performance "upgraded" shafts then my guess would be these are RCV's. That used to be how Ford Performance worked anyway. Caster camber plates for your stang were not Ford's they were Global West's sold through Ford.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm confused here. Your second sentence says IF the RCV CV's are any better than OEM ones.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L 1627154474614

So it is clear to everyone who reads here. RCV is use by probably 90% of the Ultra4 cars, goatman your thoughts????, you will not have a problem with RCV's they stand behind their product. Very similar to BDS.

one side note, if you meant the ford performance "upgraded" shafts then my guess would be these are RCV's. That used to be how Ford Performance worked anyway. Caster camber plates for your stang were not Ford's they were Global West's sold through Ford.
CV to CV is the RCV setup.
Other manufacturers make just the halfshafts and you reuse the OEM CVs.
Not sure if RCV upgrades the OEM CVs or uses an aftermarket OEM part. My educated guess is the CVs aren’t much stronger at that price point. 300M cages and stars are a bit more than that.
I personally would reuse the OEM CVs and swap shafts. A set of 300M shafts is as good as it gets.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CV to CV is the RCV setup.
Other manufacturers make just the halfshafts and you reuse the OEM CVs.
Not sure if RCV upgrades the OEM CVs or uses an aftermarket OEM part. My educated guess is the CVs aren’t much stronger at that price point. 300M cages and stars are a bit more than that.
I personally would reuse the OEM CVs and swap shafts. A set of 300M shafts is as good as it gets.
That price of entry is a bit steep for me. I will run the stock axles & carry a stock set as backup. I would rather have a CV or halfshaft break than the carrier or R&P. I'm also light on the skinny pedal & have never broken a front axle while always carrying spares because AAA doesn't come out to most trails ;) YMMV

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think the original statement was referring to we don't know yet how strong the OEM CV's are. However, the RCV's are going to be stronger with a complete set. That page from RCV regarding the ultimate CV axle set for F150 didn't say if they are 300M or not, RCV makes both chromoly and 300M axles. For example, for a Dana 60 the chromo RCV set is about 3k, while the D60 300M set is about 4k (BTW, I have the 300M RCV in the rear, and 300M CTM shafts and u-joints in the front).

I think there is no doubt RCV will come out with a set for Broncos. This will be for folks who put on bigger tires and do rock trails. For general exploring and light to moderate trails with stock size tires I'm hoping any problems are rare. I'm not planning on any upgrades, wait and see what happens.

Regarding racing and Ultra4, some run RCV CV axles, and some run Spidertrax u-joint axles, or Branik u-joint axles, all 300M. The rock bouncers have gone to Big Bell RCV's because they run rear steer and really stress those rear shafts. The Big Bell are based on Rockwell and 1550 size joints and require completely different knuckles and hubs. The big bells make D60 axles look tiny, they are really big, and 40 spline or 47 spline.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is a little concerning. On a gravel road the op should have been able to do anything he wanted and they should not have broken. CV axles are def a weak link in offroad vehicles and the more you lift and/or put bigger tires the more susceptible they are to breaking. I hope this is an isolated incident, but I think as time goes on we are going to see more of this especially as people start modifying and taking these things offroad.

OP
OP
Homebowlking

Homebowlking

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a little concerning. On a gravel road the op should have been able to do anything he wanted and they should not have broken. CV axles are def a weak link in offroad vehicles and the more you lift and/or put bigger tires the more susceptible they are to breaking. I hope this is an isolated incident, but I think as time goes on we are going to see more of this especially as people start modifying and taking these things offroad.
Totally agree with you on this one. But I do want to add that Ford is looking at this very seriously. I have had calls from ford Canada executive, Ford is stepping up for this repair and making sure that the rig is being fixed quickly and properly also that I am being taken care of with rentals and such. So far I am happy with the customer care given.

OP
OP
Homebowlking

Homebowlking

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specs: 4 door, Badlands, 2.7, lux, tow package .

Issue: Broken front passenger axle at CV joint. Repair was Ford replacement of both front axles. Will take 5 to 10 days to get the parts.

Update: I was in 4L and lockers were not engaged.

350KM after picking up my dream machine that took a year to arrive, it was on the back end of a tow truck with a broken front right axle heading back to the dealer for repair. The axle broke on a flat loose gravel parking lot at less than 5 km/hr with no load on it , while I was testing out (showing off) the 4 wheel cameras to my better half.

I have been a 4x4 enthusiasts for over 30 years and broken many axle as such I have learned not to full lock. The intent of the post was to see if this was an issue others have had. I am glad to hear it isnt.

Photos of break down and gravel parking lot that it happened and got towed from:

I do want to add that Ford is looking at this very seriously. I have had calls from Ford Canada executive, Ford is stepping up for this repair and making sure that the rig is being fixed quickly and properly also that I am being taken care of with rentals and such. So far I am a happy with the customer care given

Sponsored

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is 4wd on these Broncos disengaged via vacuum like the ESOF on the F150? I hope not, but if so, it would be easy to switch the appropriate vacuum solenoid wire to ground using one of the upfitter switches. So when in 4Lo, flip the switch to disconnect the front axle - 2wd low! I've done this on my F150 and it works great.
Hoping to do just this on mine thru one of aux. switches if the transfer case computer doesn't care

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specs: 4 door, Badlands, 2.7, lux, tow package .

Issue: Broken front passenger axle at CV joint. Repair was Ford replacement of both front axles. Will take 5 to 10 days to get the parts.

Update: I was in 4L and lockers were not engaged.

350KM after picking up my dream machine that took a year to arrive, it was on the back end of a tow truck with a broken front right axle heading back to the dealer for repair. The axle broke on a flat loose gravel parking lot at less than 5 km/hr with no load on it , while I was testing out (showing off) the 4 wheel cameras to my better half.

I have been a 4x4 enthusiasts for over 30 years and broken many axle as such I have learned not to full lock. The intent of the post was to see if this was an issue others have had. I am glad to hear it isnt.

Photos of break down and gravel parking lot that it happened and got towed from:

That's some dirt... ?

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Totally agree with you on this one. But I do want to add that Ford is looking at this very seriously. I have had calls from ford Canada executive, Ford is stepping up for this repair and making sure that the rig is being fixed quickly and properly also that I am being taken care of with rentals and such. So far I am happy with the customer care given.
Its funny....but everyone complains about death wobble on a jeep. We will end up complaining about broken axles...It will be the same in both cases...The more you modify the more susceptible you are to it.
I'm glad they are taking is seriously. After watching them beat all those Broncos on hard rock with lockers engaged, it is very strange to see a broken cv axle on a stock vehicle on a gravel road. I don't care if you locked all 4 wheels, floored it, and did donuts on that gravel road, this should not have happened.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do want to add that Ford is looking at this very seriously. I have had calls from Ford Canada executive, Ford is stepping up for this repair and making sure that the rig is being fixed quickly and properly also that I am being taken care of with rentals and such. So far I am a happy with the customer care given
So what did the final diagnosis end up being? Has the Bronco been fixed and back on the road yet?

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

question is if the RCV CVs are any better than OEM ones. 🤷‍♂️

RCVs are well known for their strength and worth every penny.

I've ran them in many different rigs, both their live axle CVs and their IFS CVs without any issues.
Sponsored