First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Update Ford isn't saying much about what happened or why it happened. They have decided to replace the entire front differential and both axle's making me fell like they are trying to fix it correctly. But as a result I have still been with out my dream Badlands for 28 days now and counting. Dont get me wrong I know this pails in comparison to so many on this forum that wont get to to see there ride for a year yet. But trading in a fully loaded 1500 limited with a down paymeny and now Ford loan payment to drive a rental Chevy for a month was not where I thought buying a Bronco would get me. Yet with all that said I'm still very happy with the Bronco and am sure it is worth the wait after driving it 250 km. So be patient its worth wait its a dam fine ride...
sounds like they want to have a look at the entire front assembly for a tear down and review probably a good idea on ford part so they can identify any design flaws or potential wider issues with the axles
Sponsored

rrknapp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Specs: 4 door, Badlands, 2.7, lux, tow package .

Issue: Broken front passenger axle at CV joint. Repair was Ford replacement of both front axles. Will take 5 to 10 days to get the parts.

Update: I was in 4L and lockers were not engaged.

350KM after picking up my dream machine that took a year to arrive, it was on the back end of a tow truck with a broken front right axle heading back to the dealer for repair. The axle broke on a flat loose gravel parking lot at less than 5 km/hr with no load on it , while I was testing out (showing off) the 4 wheel cameras to my better half.

I have been a 4x4 enthusiasts for over 30 years and broken many axle as such I have learned not to full lock. The intent of the post was to see if this was an issue others have had. I am glad to hear it isnt.

Photos of break down and gravel parking lot that it happened and got towed from:

2021-bronco-broken-front-axle-cv-joint-jpg.jpg

20210719_205410-jpg.jpg

20210719_205414-jpg.jpg

rrknapp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Specs: 4 door, Badlands, 2.7, lux, tow package .

Issue: Broken front passenger axle at CV joint. Repair was Ford replacement of both front axles. Will take 5 to 10 days to get the parts.

Update: I was in 4L and lockers were not engaged.

350KM after picking up my dream machine that took a year to arrive, it was on the back end of a tow truck with a broken front right axle heading back to the dealer for repair. The axle broke on a flat loose gravel parking lot at less than 5 km/hr with no load on it , while I was testing out (showing off) the 4 wheel cameras to my better half.

I have been a 4x4 enthusiasts for over 30 years and broken many axle as such I have learned not to full lock. The intent of the post was to see if this was an issue others have had. I am glad to hear it isnt.

Photos of break down and gravel parking lot that it happened and got towed from:

2021-bronco-broken-front-axle-cv-joint-jpg.jpg

20210719_205410-jpg.jpg

20210719_205414-jpg.jpg
I also broke front passenger axle at the CV joint. Big Bend. 35inch tires, 2 inch Rough Country lift. I was in my driveway on a course gravel parking pad. I was backing up, passenger rear wheel spun. Thought, perfect time to try 4W options. I wanted to crawl out of hole, so did not use much pedal. I could not get out of the hole under any 4w modes. Gas'ed it and spun out. Gave the keys back to my wife (her ride) and said, your 4wd sucks. I am very seasoned 4wd guy. The next day she calls me on the way home from work and said there is a noise coming from the front end. Looked at the axle and boot twisted. Yes broken axle. Towed to dealership 5 days ago and still don't think they pulled it into the shop. I know it's broken, service dept wont know until they actully put eye on it. Today, I called parts dept to make sure they had new axle in stock, if not I would order. I was told that there are 8 axles on back order and should be at the parts hub on 1/14. That is all I know to date 1/10/22. Lots of posting here and didn't get through them all. I think there were two other reports of broken axles. Did I miss any. Picture: x represents rear tire and 0 the front. i filled in the divot for rear but realize after the front wheel barely spun if any at all.

colr.jpg

rrknapp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Update: Dealership short staffed, another Week+ to get it pulled into the shop. Ford agreed to tow it to another dealership today, 1/13. They called my wife to tell her Rough Country lift had changed the geometry and it will happen again. Here we go!!!........ trying to explain that geometry hasn't changed and the 2 inch spacers are a cheaper way to achieve the same lift as the stock 2 inch longer coil-overs. They will get back to me regarding warranty. I said fix it and I'll fight warranty later. The estimate for changing 1 CV axle is $1,100. Let's see where this ends up.

Any predictions?
Maybe, just maybe, they do the right thing. Although the tech knows nothing about lift geometry, he does admit Ford intended this vehicle to be modified. To be continued............

Update:02/01/21

My wife picked up her bronco, yesterday. Local dealer denied claim and cited "vehicle has been lifted and fitted with tires that do not match the OE size". Ford Corporate got involved by contacting us through this forum and was instrumental in getting a new axle. They have yet to offer an opinion, regarding warranty. I did request my CV axle and removed the boots and made some interesting observations. I think it deserves a new post.

Clarification: I made several blanket statements regarding Rough Country 2" spacer lift not changing the geometry. Then intend point was the 2" space was the same as a Factory Bronco lifted. What I did not know was the sasquatch had a different differential and therefore likely different CV axles and possibly different geometry. That is indeed the case. I didn't know anything about the new Bronco prior to posting. Never read a single article. My wife wanted one and I started calling dealerships until we found one available. We were told it's because it was a manual transmission.

The truck is back and I've been forced to gather more factual data, because something is not right and lead to a CV axle failure, seen in the photo. My wife was told by the dealership it would happen again. "guaranteed" That is the question I'll raise in a different post. The question being "Is Rough Country selling a lift said to fit the Big Bend that is guaranteed to break the CV Axle on the Bronco, it was intended to fit. According to the dealer, that would be the case and every single customer who buys the pucks will experience the same failure we did. I don't think so! Rough Country has been at this a while and doubt they messed this up. It will be interesting to hear others thoughts.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-spacer-lift-or-35-tires-whos-to-blame.35457/

Last edited:

Madmartegan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Toyota, GMC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ran into an similar issue with my 2021 Bandlands w/ Sasquatch this past weekend. I have the 1' leveling kit from Rough Country on my Bronco. Took it into the dealership today to get an diagnosis, and waiting for the call. This happened on the highway. Started hearing a rubbing sound with a chemical smell. When I got home, crawled underneath and saw this on the driver side.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L Bronco-issue2

Sponsored
OP
OP
Homebowlking

Homebowlking

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran into an similar issue with my 2021 Bandlands w/ Sasquatch this past weekend. I have the 1' leveling kit from Rough Country on my Bronco. Took it into the dealership today to get an diagnosis, and waiting for the call. This happened on the highway. Started hearing a rubbing sound with a chemical smell. When I got home, crawled underneath and saw this on the driver side.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L Bronco-issue2
That sucks sorry this is still happening to people. Ford had mine int the shop for 30 days and I didnt even get a mug or cap for making payments for my rig to sit on there hoist for 30 days after having it for less a week. I hope they fix yours way faster than they did mine.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Bronco-issue2.jpg
Sorry to hear this, how long between installing the 1' leveling kit and this happening?

Was the driving in between on-road only or any off-road?

None of that should matter unless Ford designed the Bronco with Sasquatch so close to the design limits that the "Lift Me Baby" stamped into the wheel liners is marketing speak only and not close to reality and you have just found the Bronco's CV's angle limits.

Has the dealer denied the repair under warranty yet?

Madmartegan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Toyota, GMC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear this, how long between installing the 1' leveling kit and this happening?

None of that should matter unless Ford designed the Bronco with Sasquatch so close to the design limits that the "Lift Me Baby" stamped into the wheel liners is marketing speak only and not close to reality and you have just found the Bronco's CV's angle limits.

The dealership installed the leveling kit back in Aug 2021 before I took ownership. There was a rubbing sound earlier on, but when I took it back to them, they said they didn't snap something in the wheel well tight enough.

I have not taken it off-road yet and its only a weekend driver for me at this point. I have only about 2000 miles on it.

I haven't heard from the dealership. They said it would take 3-4 days to get to it. I'm hoping by the end of the week.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, slinging some grease!

Hope the dealer can get it fixed fast.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The dealership installed the leveling kit back in Aug 2021 before I took ownership. There was a rubbing sound earlier on, but when I took it back to them, they said they didn't snap something in the wheel well tight enough.

I have not taken it off-road yet and its only a weekend driver for me at this point. I have only about 2000 miles on it.

I haven't heard from the dealership. They said it would take 3-4 days to get to it. I'm hoping by the end of the week.
Can you please get details of what the part was that:
"they said they didn't snap something in the wheel well tight enough."

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
you are lucky the dealership installed it .. they will def cover any expense towards fixing it.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I read “rough country” and pointed my finger to them as the reason for failure.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I read “rough country” and pointed my finger to them as the reason for failure.
That would not be the first time I've heard less than flattering comments about RC.

@BAUS67
Can you please give us your insight into possible reasons for this?

Do you buy what the dealer is saying?

Could they be referring to a snap ring in/on the hub, axle or CV joint?

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
At the time, they were the only ones offering something for the Sasquatch version. Plus, its just a 1' leveling kit. Paying for it now.
That would not be the first time I've heard less than flattering comments about RC.

@BAUS67
Can you please give us your insight into possible reasons for this?

Do you buy what the dealer is saying?

Could they be referring to a snap ring in/on the hub, axle or CV joint?
I think rough country stopped doing r&d in the 80s.
Sponsored