Bobbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Gives new meaning to the break in period for sure! Sorry that happened and hope you get fixed up quickly!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not reading 9 pages. It sounds like a freak occurrence that never should have happened, it had to have been defective.

I did see a few CVs were broken at KoH but they were beating the snot out of them. RCV will probably come out with replacements then we can blow up diffs instead.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if you are in 4wd with lockers engaged, and you have all 4 tires in full contact with the ground without any slip, something has to give. it the tires don't slip, in a turn locked up parts will break. that is why the owner's manual on ANY 4wd says for use on slippery surfaces only. do not drive on roads with 4wd engaged unless it is on slippery surfaces.. the tires slip or parts break.
That's CYA verbiage from Ford in the manual. In Moab the "slick rock" has incredible traction and many obstacles where 4Lo, lockers, and full lock turns are required. CVs should not break that easy doing what the OP was doing.

Sponsored

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not reading 9 pages. It sounds like a freak occurrence that never should have happened, it had to have been defective.

I did see a few CVs were broken at KoH but they were beating the snot out of them. RCV will probably come out with replacements then we can blow up diffs instead.
Hah, I read two pages and skipped to page 9 too... Agree with your assessment...

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soooooo as someone who has never owned a 4x4 before, how worried or precious do I have to be about using these fancy features? All I want to do is drive my car over dem dhere mountains!!

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Soooooo as someone who has never owned a 4x4 before, how worried or precious do I have to be about using these fancy features? All I want to do is drive my car over dem dhere mountains!!
read the owner's manual. it will describe the capabilities and intended uses. if you are looking for a vehicle to participate in the baja 1000, you may be disappointed. read the instructions, don't take advice from someone who you don't know and only has an opinion which may or may not be well informed. forums are for entertainment purposes only read the instructions. read the owner's manual. all the cool buttons and knobs and levers can do harm and be dangerous if used improperly. i cannot stress how important it is to read the owner's manual. i do that with every car i purchase and have never been disappointed because i had an understanding of the intended purposes of the vehicle.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Watch the Bronco test runs in Moab and the Rubicon - they're on YouTube. Better yet, go to Moab and run some of the trails. You'll quickly realize following the manual's ass coverage verbatim won't get you past the trail head.

True I didn't see what was going on when it broke, but I don't believe there is anything the OP could have done on a gravel road that should have caused breakage of a CV.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Watch the Bronco test runs in Moab and the Rubicon - they're on YouTube. Better yet, go to Moab and run some of the trails. You'll quickly realize following the manual's ass coverage verbatim won't get you past the trail head.

True I didn't see what was going on when it broke, but I don't believe there is anything the OP could have done on a gravel road that should have caused breakage of a CV.
if you beak it at moab or rubicon, chances are it is not going to be covered by warranty. that is why there is a huge aftermarket which allows people to build special purpose vehicles for that purpose. go but a c8 corvette bring it up to 7000 rpm and dump the clutch for every start, chances are they don't honor the warranty. some things are beyond the intended usage of a vehicle. read the owner's manual. if you are operating outside the parameters established by the intended usage, you may not be covered by the warranty...

Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess we disagree on what the intended use is. Ford has sure gone out of their way to market the Bronco as a go anywhere rig. Kind of hard to do if you're worried about using the features necessary to get there... I mean, they're offering a cutting brake (TTA) for f*ck's sake.

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

read the owner's manual. it will describe the capabilities and intended uses. if you are looking for a vehicle to participate in the baja 1000, you may be disappointed. read the instructions, don't take advice from someone who you don't know and only has an opinion which may or may not be well informed. forums are for entertainment purposes only read the instructions. read the owner's manual. all the cool buttons and knobs and levers can do harm and be dangerous if used improperly. i cannot stress how important it is to read the owner's manual. i do that with every car i purchase and have never been disappointed because i had an understanding of the intended purposes of the vehicle.
Haha…I was just going to mention he has the exact trim that was run in the Baja 1000 without issues. Fluky part I’d say.

Hank 615

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For future reference, Baja mode also uses the front camera but in 4H so you'll avoid OPs problem while showing off your camera

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

most likely a faulty CV joint .... perhaps the bearings were not lubed correctly and it just seized .... that would be the first thing I look at

Front-wheel-drive-configuration-showing-typical-CV-joints.png
Not lubed? Siezed? Highly unlikely...
That time of failure would be due to massive high heat caused from friction. He was in 4 lo
Sponsored