First Name
Jorge Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well everybody I broke the Bronco. Tie rod broke on my first big adventure. Went to Hollister California OHV park. I went through some mud and turned the wheels then it broke. It feels good and horrible at the same time. Any advice? I got out safe but it was a journey. Bronco is at a shop in Hollister now. Hopefully they can get it done. Any upgrades out there anyone recommends?

F66DE982-6BFB-464A-8FA4-37EF162D1B0D.jpeg

A294A377-F047-4094-8DB5-DBAAC1B02BD8.jpeg
Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a YouTuber on here, he has the big Bronco on like 40's and does some videos with LiteBrite Nation. His company has a product that is basically a machined "splint" that bolts around your tie rod, once it is back repaired. It looks like it was made to prevent exactly the failure you had. Of course, some will say strengthening the tie rod would just move the point of failure further up the chain of components. Worth looking for it and watching his videos. They also make another part that secures the innards of the steering rack better than OEM.

Edit: This guy right here

EDIT EDIT: This video describes the rack/pinion separation issue, his second video (I think) has the "splint" type product in it.

Last edited:

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

DAMN. Just from going into mud ? You didn't hit ... say a tree or a boulder?

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hope they get you up and running again soon. Easy fix, but my biggest fear is unavailable parts.

Sponsored

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

DAMN. Just from going into mud ? You didn't hit ... say a tree or a boulder?
If heā€™s talking about the mud pit at Hollister Hills Iā€™m thinking he is, there is a big rock or something sticking out of the water.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If heā€™s talking about the mud pit at Hollister Hills Iā€™m thinking he is, there is a big rock or something sticking out of the water.
Ah ok. That makes sense!

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guessing that Ford will offer the Raptor/WildTrak ā€œFord Performance Severe Duty Steering Rack & Tie Rod Endsā€ as optional on more models for ā€˜23 and hopefully beef-up the standard tie rods on all models.

The Bronco tie rod issue is the first thing out of the mouth of a serious off-reading Jeep owner when you let them know youā€™re getting a Bronco.

Itā€™s disappointing that Ford allowed this to be an Achilles heel, when Jeep already had the default upper hand regarding front end durability.

Good luck getting it repaired. One of the sites that posts videos on this board was touting a piece of billet aluminum around the tie arm to keep it from snapping.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bummer, I hope you can get it fixed soon. I tried to order a set to just have and my order got cancelled because they're backordered nation wide, but I hope they'll speed things through for someone that actually has a broken one instead of just looking for spares. Good luck!

Sponsored

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a YouTuber on here, he has the big Bronco on like 40's and does some videos with LiteBrite Nation. His company has a product that is basically a machined "splint" that bolts around your tie rod, once it is back repaired. It looks like it was made to prevent exactly the failure you had. Of course, some will say strengthening the tie rod would just move the point of failure further up the chain of components. Worth looking for it and watching his videos. They also make another part that secures the innards of the steering rack better than OEM.

Edit: This guy right here

EDIT EDIT: This video describes the rack/pinion separation issue, his second video (I think) has the "splint" type product in it.
Hereā€™s a similar video, where they describe a potential tie-rod fix early in the video.

Hopefully, the severe duty Ford rack & tie rods will be available to the non-Raptor/WildTrak Bronco owners soon.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bummer, I hope you can get it fixed soon. I tried to order a set to just have and my order got cancelled because they're backordered nation wide, but I hope they'll speed things through for someone that actually has a broken one instead of just looking for spares. Good luck!
My backordered spare rods were shipped on 3/2, so maybe there is inventory now.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just a hint...if ya ainā€™t rolling donā€™t turn the wheel & if ya feel ā€œresistanceā€œ in the wheel donā€™t push/turn it...nothing wrong with backing up and/or taking a different line...and of course jumper cables, a couple batteries, a few pairs of sun glasses and a few sticks of welding rod can get ya home...

BoneyRoads

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Driver side was jammed up against a rut. I was turning and felt it snap. I didnā€™t see any boulders.
Was your Bronco stock, or did it have a lift? Just curious
Sponsored