Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm just picturing the tiny ass brakes that come on these vehicles trying to stop the rotating mass of those tires and the 5k lb vehicle....nope.
Sponsored

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3C6E0476-B02F-4408-8DF9-526FE0ED1D9F.jpeg

258185356_4833385640019459_6499503155830816335_n.jpg
Tons of challenges to make this happen. I commend you for going for it. People like you make the world a more interesting place!

This is not meant to sound negative in any way, just commenting: I really wanted to go for 40s on my Bronco but the IFS pretty much stopped me in my tracks. It's just not beefy enough up front, would require a solid axle (probably a ton) and the rear would need to be bulked up as well. Penciling it all out it just didn't make sense to go for it.

It made me realize the Bronco is never quite going to contend with the Jeep on the "extreme" end of the crawling spectrum. This platform isn't customizable to the extreme that a Jeep has become. It's not designed to grow to the sizes Jeeps can. It's not able to quite do what Jeeps can do... again, on the extreme end of the spectrum, which few of us will ever visit. Myself included.

You can get a Jeep up on 40s. It will take some real doing, it's not an easy road either, but it's a documented, predictable path with predictably solid results. And 40s on a 4-door JK or JL is not at all uncommon, and a very solid crawling build... quite a few of those serious rigs out there. They're always going to eat the Bronco's lunch.

It is for all of these reasons the Jeep isn't going to be unseated as the reigning wheeling champion of the world anytime soon, least of all by the Bronco, but can the Bronco compete hard right up to the 90% mark... absolutely.

Would love to see where you go with this. Thanks again for being willing to push ahead. You are forging a trail here, and I think it's awesome. Best of luck to you.

-JC

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm sorry guys but this looks awful. I saw a 4 door Bronco in person and i hated it with small 32 inch tires. And by the looks of it big 40 inch tires can't even save it.

I think my issue is the body is just too perfectly square with no character. The sides are too flat with no contour and the fender guards should have been square.

I wish I would have seen a 2 door Sasquatch in person. It might have looked better and saved my order. The wait is not worth it for me either IMO!!

I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I've come to realize Jeeps look 10x better. To me anyway. Just being honest. Just my opinion. Even my 11 year old daughter begged me to get the Jeep after finally seeing the Bronco in person.
I agree that the 4-door is missing something, looks a bit Frankenstein’ed (feel even more that way about the 4-door Jeep, and don’t get me started on the Gladiator).

But Ford designers hit it out of the park with the 2-door. It’s almost a perfect update of the gorgeous original Bronco. And having driven one, it’s an absolute joy on rocks, mud, sand, road, you name it. (Drove a 4-dr too, which was great, but felt…big).

I honestly think the 2-door is one of the most beautiful, capable, FUN, and exciting vehicles to come out in decades.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think my issue is the body is just too perfectly square with no character. The sides are too flat with no contour and the fender guards should have been square.
I haven't seen the 2 door Bronco in person so I can't comment. I would imagine it looks much better but still to plain body wise. The lines are just too straight ,flat and square. Amd then there that big front wide nose.
This is why I like America. We can all have opinions. Even if they're wrong, like yours. ;)

In seriousness, these things you identify as bad (flat/straight/square lines, "wide" hood, etc) are exactly what I love about the Bronco and dislike about my current JT and past JL and JKs.

I agree with you on squared wheel wells, though - would have been great.

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

3C6E0476-B02F-4408-8DF9-526FE0ED1D9F.jpeg

258185356_4833385640019459_6499503155830816335_n.jpg
Show truck, mall cruiser, playing in mud bogs/swamps , rock crawler, or just because. Just curious. I like the build. Looks like something that would be fun to play in the mud with.

shotgunfatcat

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Look guys, you have to break some eggs to make an omelet. Things that were cut to make it work can be supported again, and be Happy OP figured out what 40's looked like and cut up his stuff instead of your own. Muscle Cars get shaved bumpers, trucks get roll pans, etc. Sometimes function is over form, sometimes form is over function.

Sideways

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST2
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't seen the 2 door Bronco in person so I can't comment. I would imagine it looks much better but still to plain body wise. The lines are just too straight ,flat and square. Amd then there that big front wide nose. And it's weird that the entire vehicle is square amd there's round fenders. I didn't realize how odd it looks until I saw one in person. And I was pumped for the Bronco. Bummer.

I think the 2 door Jeep is the best looking. Still looks the closest to a real Jeep from back in the day and is small enough to zip around in tight spaces like a Jeep is supposed to. JMO.
old.jpg

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that the 4-door is missing something, looks a bit Frankenstein’ed (feel even more that way about the 4-door Jeep, and don’t get me started on the Gladiator).

But Ford designers hit it out of the park with the 2-door. It’s almost a perfect update of the gorgeous original Bronco. And having driven one, it’s an absolute joy on rocks, mud, sand, road, you name it. (Drove a 4-dr too, which was great, but felt…big).

I honestly think the 2-door is one of the most beautiful, capable, FUN, and exciting vehicles to come out in decades.
I do like the 2 door a bit better but, alas, won't work for our lifestyle. Maybe have to get another one! ;-)

Sponsored

JohnnyBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can't wait to see this on Matt's Offroad Recovery YouTube channel. That one is going to get thousands of views!

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Tons of challenges to make this happen. I commend you for going for it. People like you make the world a more interesting place!

This is not meant to sound negative in any way, just commenting: I really wanted to go for 40s on my Bronco but the IFS pretty much stopped me in my tracks. It's just not beefy enough up front, would require a solid axle (probably a ton) and the rear would need to be bulked up as well. Penciling it all out it just didn't make sense to go for it.

It made me realize the Bronco is never quite going to contend with the Jeep on the "extreme" end of the crawling spectrum. This platform isn't customizable to the extreme that a Jeep has become. It's not designed to grow to the sizes Jeeps can. It's not able to quite do what Jeeps can do... again, on the extreme end of the spectrum, which few of us will ever visit. Myself included.

You can get a Jeep up on 40s. It will take some real doing, it's not an easy road either, but it's a documented, predictable path with predictably solid results. And 40s on a 4-door JK or JL is not at all uncommon, and a very solid crawling build... quite a few of those serious rigs out there. They're always going to eat the Bronco's lunch.

It is for all of these reasons the Jeep isn't going to be unseated as the reigning wheeling champion of the world anytime soon, least of all by the Bronco, but can the Bronco compete hard right up to the 90% mark... absolutely.

Would love to see where you go with this. Thanks again for being willing to push ahead. You are forging a trail here, and I think it's awesome. Best of luck to you.

-JC
I agree the Jeep path to 40's is well documented and $25-50K depending on what axles / suspension setup you want to run.

Did you see Dana announced the semi-float 60 rear ready to bolt into the Bronco and the 31 spline front differential up from 29 in the M220 under the Sasquatch and finally the RCV axles have been released and guaranteed up to 40" tires.

I can see a glimmer of a path...I am not sure how strong the 31 spline front unit is but I read somewhere it was the equivalent of the older gen Dana 60...the one we all started with swapped out of an F250/350 but not as strong as the Ultimate 60's out today.

But steering improvements are still pending...announced but I don't believe for sale yet and that will be a must as well as eventually some type of assist for 40's.

And none of this matters until you see UCA and LCA's to correct the geometry...gonna have to go wider IMO to make the CV angle work, high clearance fenders, etc.

I believe it will come and guys like this post are pushing the demand.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just picturing the tiny ass brakes that come on these vehicles trying to stop the rotating mass of those tires and the 5k lb vehicle....nope.
You should see the size of the brakes I stop my 6klbs Bronco with. I have a 121lb tire wrapped around a 60lb wheel pushed by a manual 70's booster that I stop with a smaller rotor and caliper than the stock Bronco... I can lock up all 4 tires @ 80+ MPH, brakes are a non-issue.

austin9294

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
where did you find that hood or made custom?

Cut out wheel wells, cut fenders up about 4” from stock. 2” puck lift. 4 wheel parts upper control arms
Sponsored